Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How many hours we should sleep ?

4K views 55 replies 52 participants last post by  Whatev 
#1 ·
Hi all lovely people here . As we all know that sleep is more important for our health . So I have the general question that how many hours we should sleep in the night to maintain a good health . Thanks

#3 ·
7 or 8.
I seem to only get that one day a week, if I am lucky!

#5 ·
I find it's hard for me to find the perfect amount of sleep.. im finding 6 hrs is pretty good most of the time but you crash earlier.. yet ive gotten into the habit of 10 hrs which is way too much sleep and still feel tired the rest of the day.. but yea, theres days where ive noticed the amount of hours really doesnt make it much different. I always feel tired anyways

#10 ·
In my sleep physiology class, the instructor said that studies show 7-8, and more or less than that is correlated with a decreased age of death. However, I find it hard to believe that people don't vary more than that in terms of what's healthy for them. I'll sleep 9 if I can.

#12 ·
I can sleep for 6 hours and wake up feeling fantastic.. then i can sleep for 8 hours and wake up feeling really horrible..

Most days i sleep an average of 8 hours.. then once a week ill sleep about 12 hours to recharge.. the other day i slept 2 hours and woke up wide awake, few hours later i crashed hard.

They say somewhere between 6 to 8, with 8 been recommended.. but the older you get the less sleep you need.

#13 ·
It varies; normally 8/9 hours for the average human regardless of stress levels.

I found if I sleep too much it has a negative affect on me. It also screws up my sleeping schedule. Sometimes I sleep 6 hours and feel perfectly normal, but usually I need about 8 hours of sleep.

There are some people out there that have a mutation on a gene known as hDEC2. They can get by with only 4 hours of sleep. Its very rare, but I had a room mate that probably had it. He would stay up till around 2AM and get up at the same time as me (6AM). Sure, he would have the normal lazy wakeup but as the day progressed he never yawned or felt exhausted (we worked together). Lucky fellow.

#16 ·
Eight hours of sleep is what is usually recommended. I guess it varies depending on your level of activity, stress or anything else that relatively affects sleep. For me personally, I need about 10 hours with no disturbances to feel completely rested.

#18 ·
I know as soon as I open my eyes in the morning whether or not I slept well. Try to keep track of what time your falling asleep and waking up and how you feel upon waking. You should feel energized and optimistic about the day. Seven hours does it for me. Any less than six and I'm hating the world.

#21 ·
7 is more than enough for me but if I had the choice I'd rather sleep 14 hours.

#22 ·
I rarely sleep more than seven hours because when I wake up I can't sleep anymore.
Eight hours is the time we should sleep, but it depends to the person I think.

#26 ·
7-8. i've noticed i tend to feel better when i have about 6-7 and that when i sleep longer i feel lethargic.

i've been experiencing insomnia lately so have only been able to get 3-4 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.