Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Dementia

779 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dune87 
#1 ·
Hi all,
What are the main symptoms of dementia? Are inappropriate behaviour and confusion symptoms of dementia? Or Is it just aging symptoms? My mother who is 65 years old is showing these symptoms. Sometimes, she can't even remember her name. I'm really scared and confused. What would I do if she has dementia. I'm already planning to hire a caregiver from an elderly care services in Toronto because I don't know how to take care of such patients. It would be kind if anyone share your experience of dealing with such people.

#5 ·
im sorry about your mum :/ i understand how scary it can be for you, and hiring a professional is the best thing u can do.

my grandmother developed dementia after a serious operation 10 years ago. she was already quite old at the time (80), and it seems that she had one or more mini strokes because when we took her back home she couldnt remember how to swallow food for a while! but otherwise she was fine. but with the years the condition progressively worsened.

even though my grandmother was always a very emotionally stable person, now she can be very moody and cries sometimes, especially when she realises she forgets stuff and when she realises she's old and can't help around the house as much. we've found out that if we assign to her small tasks it takes her mind off the negative thoughts. also lots of reassuring that everything is fine works ok sometimes.

she also has sleeping problems sometimes because she thinks she hears music (i dont think that's really a dementia symptom, it comes from one of her ears that;s not functioning properly). she has developed lots of phobias, especially of intruders. she's always worried that someone will enter the house and harm her and my grandfather and go checks on my mum all the time (they live in the same lot, just different buildings). she forgets who we are when she sees us, even though she feels that she knows our faces. so every time i visit i tell her who i am.

it's hard to see a loved one like this. i miss the old her a lot. but once a year or so she magically has a clear head. i dont know what happens, but she remembers our conversations of the previous day and other stuff that she forgets other times. it really feels like having her back for a while. which makes me think that the person i love is still in there, she just can't get out 99,9% of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.