Many of you know that the current chat is having a number of major issues. The company's customer support has been poor. It often feels like they are just stalling in their replies. Also, they are based in China and while they speak English, I feel like there is a lot of miscommunication due to a language barrier. I did some searching and I'm not the only person who has experienced this, so it might not get any better over time.
I started looking into other chat options out of my frustration of the issues with the current chat. And if I'm frustrated, I can only imagine how frustrated all of you regular chat users are!
As I was searching I discovered another option that would be quite different from our current chat and I want to see how everyone feels about it. I want to be careful not to make anyone feel uncomfortable using SAS because of the chat.
- Appears as bar at the bottom of every page
- The chat bar won't load by default
- Integrates completely with vBulletin, including your forum avatars
- The chat can easily be disabled completely
- You can easily go offline or invisible
- You can see whether friends on the forums are online
, but can't see others
- You can have private chats with friends
- Bar will be hidden for non-logged in users
- There will be public chats
as well that you can choose to join
- You can "pop out" chats to a new window
- You can see a demo just by going to: http://www.cometchat.com/
(Other similar, but less powerful chat software: Arrow Chat and Envolve)
Please vote and post a reply explaining why you voted how you did!
Don't hesitate to let me know if you think this is a terrible idea.