X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Management > Announcements

View Poll Results: How should we deal with recent chat issues?
I don't use and don't want a chat on SAS 3 3.16%
Keep the current chat (with no guarantee of these issues being fixed) 27 28.42%
Let's try Comet Chat (see below for details) 62 65.26%
I have another idea 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3 Liked Posts

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Chat?

Many of you know that the current chat is having a number of major issues. The company's customer support has been poor. It often feels like they are just stalling in their replies. Also, they are based in China and while they speak English, I feel like there is a lot of miscommunication due to a language barrier. I did some searching and I'm not the only person who has experienced this, so it might not get any better over time.

I started looking into other chat options out of my frustration of the issues with the current chat. And if I'm frustrated, I can only imagine how frustrated all of you regular chat users are!

As I was searching I discovered another option that would be quite different from our current chat and I want to see how everyone feels about it. I want to be careful not to make anyone feel uncomfortable using SAS because of the chat.

Comet Chat (http://www.cometchat.com/vbulletin-chat)
- Appears as bar at the bottom of every page
- The chat bar won't load by default (opt-in)
- Integrates completely with vBulletin, including your forum avatars
- The chat can easily be disabled completely
- You can easily go offline or invisible
- You can see whether friends on the forums are online, but can't see others
- You can have private chats with friends
- Bar will be hidden for non-logged in users
- There will be public chats as well that you can choose to join
- You can "pop out" chats to a new window
- You can see a demo just by going to: http://www.cometchat.com/
(Other similar, but less powerful chat software: Arrow Chat and Envolve)

Please vote and post a reply explaining why you voted how you did!

Don't hesitate to let me know if you think this is a terrible idea.

Thanks!
sociallyawkward85 likes this.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I noticed there is a video cam /voice cam option Drew ...would you think about putting it on ? ..
Quote:
Empower your users with the ability to have voice and video chats, play 2-player games, share their desktop, send files, translate incoming messages in real-time to their language and do a lot more during their one-on-one chat conversations on your website.
I kind of like the option at least to voice talk ... its great exposers for SA.

At first reading this I was like 'no no no no, change is bad'! But really looking at the chat program I think it would be cool!

Oh and I also like the fact you can talk to people without going into a chat room like that too. This idea of not having to go into chat with all the users but only people on your friends list can see chat , might bring old members who hate to go in chat being able to chat with friends... and not the huge room ! ... but you will also have the option to join the larger chat which is awesome too.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the idea of it. It seems to be more tightly integrated (there, I stole their marketing term) with the forums. I often like to browse through threads while in chat, but the two feel like separate worlds sometimes - I ignore one while doing the other. This seems like it would merge the two.

I would also be curious about the video feature. If it works well (and you can do group video/voice) it would be a great alternative to the tinychat rooms.

Random thoughts: I don't see way to be in two rooms at once, but that doesn't bother me. That was not a feature I used. I would assume there is a way to control how many public rooms are created. If anyone can create a public room then it might get confusing. There is also no obvious way to either play or mute sounds when messages are sent. Since it is integrated with the forum I don't think it would matter when just browsing this site but when visiting other sites while in chat it might be (or would a new message notification appear in the browser tab?). I didn't see an option to stop auto-scrolling, so I'm not sure how that would work. Finally, would the conversation jump from tab to tab within the SAS universe (okay, it looks like you have to click on 'chatrooms' again to pop it up, but it saves your messages)?

In any case, I think I would favor trying Comet Chat over what we currently have.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like the looks of that chat I say give it a shot. I have lots of issues with the new one, random mutes are annoying.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think the video chats can be regulated, or the voice. I see those as being two issues.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrr View Post
I don't think the video chats can be regulated, or the voice. I see those as being two issues.
tinychat if you report the the cam / voice it sends a print screen to adims to review.... or the voice parts....

But can understand why that would be a hassle for Drew not to put it on... but if you can do call one on ones w/ voice with friends that would be kind of cool.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
But what about tinychat? I haven't been there as much lately, but if I am remembering correctly most of the issues were created by a few 'problem' users. ;p SAS is moderated, and the threat of a ban should provide some motivation to control behavior.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I personally haven't experienced issues with the new chat room apart from rare occurrences of'Meepie's alternate universe chat', but that was always easily fixed by reloading chat.

So I'm kinda happy with the way things are - based on my experiences alone.

--------------------

I also like the reporting/moderating feature in the current chat room and it makes things so easy I don't want to let it go . However this is without having any thing to compare it to as I don't know what it will be like with Cometchat.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
But what about tinychat? I haven't been there as much lately, but if I am remembering correctly most of the issues were created by a few 'problem' users. ;p SAS is moderated, and the threat of a ban should provide some motivation to control behavior.

Yeah but tinychat is 10-20 people max. SAS is far more. Tinychat is not associated with SAS.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah but tinychat is 10-20 people max. SAS is far more. Tinychat is not associated with SAS.
I understand these things, but also consider that the new chat format would also be more accessible for moderation. Any time there is a moderator on the forum (which is probably quite often), they could check on chat while reading threads. I think it's one of those things where we would have to see it in action before knowing if it would work or not.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

i cant stand if you block someone; you cannot see them, but they can still see you.

this should be a 2 way street. will this chat block you from their view as well when you hit ignore on someone?

also, i understand there are a few glitches, (which i rarely have issues with anyway on my puter) but why is chat continually changing or being reviewed for modification?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I understand these things, but also consider that the new chat format would also be more accessible for moderation. Any time there is a moderator on the forum (which is probably quite often), they could check on chat while reading threads. I think it's one of those things where we would have to see it in action before knowing if it would work or not.
Maybe you can open the video and voice chat to 18+ members, since you probably can guess what I am alluding to when I say the video chat can be an issue.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

no harm in giving another chat system a go. the current chat system is royaly p***ing me off
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

I say give it a shot!!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe you can open the video and voice chat to 18+ members, since you probably can guess what I am alluding to when I say the video chat can be an issue.
Oh I know exactly what you are alluding to. ;p

I mean ideally, if we did have such a thing (and there is probably not much utility in discussing it until we know if we are going to have voice/video chat or not), it should be for people to 'test the waters' socially in a safe, welcoming environment. But I do realize that intended uses and actual uses are not always the same thing.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

You can do the chat demo and play w/ chat yourself by logining into a demo account, I like the layout a lot...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Eh. i wonder what comet chat is like?
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lets give it a shot!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

looks good, let's try it and I'm not just saying that because I'm temp banned can't you downgrade to the old version of chat? oh and an adult room would be nice, something with more lax rules.
Closed Thread