X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Spiritual Support

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Witchcraft

Or... neopaganism, that sounds less fictional. It makes me really uncomfortable but those titles would probably fit my belief system. People can be snooty about it though but I don't see how it's different to any other spiritual path. Nature is important in most religions, a spell is another word for and another way for a prayer, I don't worship any God but I do feel that the elements are powerful and I pretty much keep this to myself but it feels natural to me. I read an article on paganism and it said if you don't think people will be interested or take you seriously then why tell them? It just brings negative vibes and has a negative effect on you. It's frustrating because I know most people would think I'm crazy and that I think I weild some poweful magic like on charmed or bewitched... I used to watch these shows too but not in an inspirational way lol... I'd say I believe in magic but it's mental not physical. I think that kind of representation means witchcraft isn't taken as seriously. Some people know that I'm interested in candles and incense and the moon cycle and meditation which I'm happy enough with. Usually if a form asks for my religion I'll just check "prefer not to disclose" or "other" because I don't know what it'd class as, I don't follow any specific path but I think I'm quite spiritual. I watched this show with my sister that was to try to convert people to christianity and one of the contestants had books of spells and charms that got confiscated because they saw it as satanic and it really annoyed me but I couldn't really say that or explain why because she doesn't know that I believe that too so obviously found it offensive. I was brought up christian and went to a catholic school, I respect the religion as a whole but this guy was an ignorant idiot.

I know there are a few pagan members here from reading through this forum, if you read this, do you find it hard believing in something that's not... socially acceptable.. in a way and very misunderstood?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Witchcraft

Basically anything that doesnt involve the kingdom of God in my religious view point is just a way for trouble spiritually or legally. I feel like a evil spirit or negative influence has gotten some how into my perception of reality but in a distorted way not knowing if the hallucination is a voice that is believed to be transient or a delusion/

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had some interest in the Occult over the years never really chose a path, I prefer to stay open to everything, I'm not the type who can go on faith alone I need a reason to believe, or some type of evidence. I've personally never found it hard to research or experiment with stuff other people find strange and unusual, my beliefs are my own and I would rather keep them to myself.

Any religion would seem strange if you break it down to it's main components. The Occult is no stranger than any mainstream religion, it's just more complicated with it's many different branches and belief systems.

If people talk down to you because of your beliefs just remind them that millions of followers, huge temples, and massive amounts of money don't make a belief true, or right.

Good luck to you. O and remember to avoid the people with pitchforks .
StrangeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lol! Yeah I'm the same way I'd rather be open than chose one path as that comes with a set of beliefs and all my beliefs are my own not what a particular religion says it should be. Not even just mainstream relgions, I know that wicca has alot of rules. I'm a pretty simple person, I think if what you believe is positive and no one's getting hurt by it then that's all good. I kinda think things are easier for people when they have a label attatched.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate
I kinda think things are easier for people when they have a label attatched.
Thats very true. Most people like labels and rule sets, it helps them to avoid all that annoying independent thinking. It's easier for most people to convince themselves that some religion must be right, than it is to try to figure things out for themselves. People like that are usually looking for a source of comfort and belonging more than anything else. Where as I'm more interesting in truly understanding reality and existence. All I've learned so far is that its really complicated and I doubt I'll find the answers that I'm looking for. But it's still interesting to explore the questions.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I kinda think things are easier for people when they have a label attatched.
Once you label me you negate me. - Søren Kierkegaard

Think about it.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

i know a few things about witchcraft. it's became one of my hobbies in the last 2 months. i don't practice it or anything, i just find it interesting. i'm more into the "i made a pact with the devil" witchcraft than the one you're talking about.

i've also found the pagan religion interesting and i might look into it later.
ANCIENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've never found it difficult to be Witch. I'm proud of who and what I am. The fact that it's less than mainstream makes it a little hard to deal with the more conservative sides of people, but it doesn't make me nervous. I am who I am and I've never found it hard to believe what I believe. To me, Paganism makes sense.
golden hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to SAS Golden Hummingbird! A few years back I was briefly Wiccan (though I was one of those who never considered myself a witch), I was more so into the whole 'Goddess worship' thing. I found the idea of a female deity really appealing. Unfortunately, there is still quite the 'stigma' associated with Witchcraft, and Hollywood doesn't help! I admire people who can be open about it, especially when having SA! Kudos to you!!!

-Elpis

ETA- I'm not assuming you're Wiccan btw.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpis
Welcome to SAS Golden Hummingbird! A few years back I was briefly Wiccan (though I was one of those who never considered myself a witch), I was more so into the whole 'Goddess worship' thing. I found the idea of a female deity really appealing. Unfortunately, there is still quite the 'stigma' associated with Witchcraft, and Hollywood doesn't help! I admire people who can be open about it, especially when having SA! Kudos to you!!!

-Elpis

ETA- I'm not assuming you're Wiccan btw.
Thanks! It's not easy to deal with people, no. Social situations are awkward, and I don't usually volunteer my religion (but I don't hide it, either) - but it doesn't add awkwardness to the whole of it. I am pretty decent at finding people who are a little more open... If someone seems like they're going to be stuffy about my even talking to them, I shy away.

Social interaction is hard enough without others being close-minded, you know?

I consider myself pretty eclectic in Paganism (and life)... The internet is always so much more easy to use for communication than phones or real life, so I'm a lot more open here than I would be elsewhere.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not easy to deal with people, no. Social situations are awkward, and I don't usually volunteer my religion (but I don't hide it, either) - but it doesn't add awkwardness to the whole of it. I am pretty decent at finding people who are a little more open... If someone seems like they're going to be stuffy about my even talking to them, I shy away.
Most definitely! It is a very difficult (and extremely lonely) road for those of us who follow 'alternative religions'. Glad to have another kindred spirit on SAS!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

exodus 22:18 You shall not let a sorceress live. (kidding)
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Were
exodus 22:18 You shall not let a sorceress live. (kidding)
Nah, I'm only guilty of breaking 'Commandments' 1 & 2! I plan to break 6 soon, when I find someone to kill and eat for dinner tonight. Mmmmm, fresh baby! *Cackles* (Kidding, of course!)
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithless
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden hummingbird
I've never found it difficult to be Witch. I'm proud of who and what I am. The fact that it's less than mainstream makes it a little hard to deal with the more conservative sides of people, but it doesn't make me nervous. I am who I am and I've never found it hard to believe what I believe. To me, Paganism makes sense.
So you're a Witch then? I mean, I can talk to you and you're a Witch?

*is fascinated*
Here, why don't you 'fascinate' yourself some more: http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's not like I'm ashamed of what I believe it's just that because I never fit into a catagory it's hard to explain... I wouldn't know how to so I don't. It's not just this though I'm not open about ANYTHING really... it's weird.

What strikes me as ironic is how pagan beliefs are very prominant in society and people don't realise. If you've ever blown out a candle and made a wish or used lavender bath salts to relax or looked at the clouds to see images you're using aspects of a nature religion.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
What strikes me as ironic is how pagan beliefs are very prominant in society and people don't realise. If you've ever blown out a candle and made a wish or used lavender bath salts to relax or looked at the clouds to see images you're using aspects of a nature religion.
I always found that funny as well. Like many other religions, cultures, and peoples, as Christianity, and its earlier forms spread through Europe and the middle east they incorporated many of the beliefs and traditions of the people they conquered to make it more except able to the people who would be forced to practice it. Allot of the bible is based on pagan, egyptian and other ancient societies and religions. I've come across a few websites that show the connections and similarities between the bible and other religions and mythologies it's pretty interesting.

Remember pagans are evil... now lets celebrate christmas
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithless
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden hummingbird
So you're a Witch then? I mean, I can talk to you and you're a Witch?

*is fascinated*
Indeed I am, and indeed you can.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Faithless, I don't know if you're being sarcastic... you're stressing me out a little bit lol.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Don't appologise it's ok it was funny.
What did you wanna know?
I'm not so good at explaining things.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

can you cast a spell to make your social anxiety go away for example?