X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Spiritual Support

Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why won't Jesus give me peace from fears?

The Bible said more than once we should have joy and not be afraid. Why isn't Jesus helpping me out with i?
filledwithfear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

A lack of faith in Jesus and His promises can cause fear. I will pray for you...
Check this link out:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-fear.html
And we're not alone" - Switchfoot

Alys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know from personal experience that God has not taken away all my fears but he has given me courage to face them. Many people in the Bible talked about being fearful. They were given courage to do what they fear. Courage is not absence of fear.

2Corinthians 7:5 reads:
In fact, when we arrived in Mac·e·do′ni·a, our flesh got no relief, but we continued to be afflicted in every manner—there were fights without, fears within.

Fear may not go away but we can get some courage.

Remember another scripture where God said,

...and yet he really said to me: “My (grace) undeserved kindness is sufficient for you; for [my] power is being made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Courage is doing things despite having the fear.
Anxiety is part of the human condition - God gave us that. It's our choice on how to handle it.

God did give us the power of a sound mind, though.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filledwithfear1 View Post
The Bible said more than once we should have joy and not be afraid. Why isn't Jesus helpping me out with i?
He is. He led you here. You are learning about your fear through us. You have faith in God and He knows you and what you will become. He is guiding you all the time; you just need to be aware that He is with you .

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did God really give us fear? or is it a condition of our sin and/or a reaction to the sinful world we live in?
AshCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCash View Post
Did God really give us fear? or is it a condition of our sin and/or a reaction to the sinful world we live in?
Fear is a good thing...it keeps us from doing many stupid things...Even anxious fears are good at first, they help us to interact with other human beings in a more appropriate way, it's when they start getting irrational beyond reprieve that they become a problem. In my case, my family's negligence in giving me a loving stable childhood affected me greatly towards getting SA. So in that case, I learned to be fearful from the way I was treated by people who CHOSE to treat me that way. God doesn't affect choices elsewise we'd be mindless robots...also, the Bible has a story(John 9) about a man who was born blind...Jesus' disciples ask him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
Jesus answers, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life..."

"Sometimes a person has to be loved before they can become lovable."~Ravi Zacharias

"As we have gotten more open-minded, we have become more closed-hearted."

My avatar is my art...www.myspace.com/illlaymedown
illlaymedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

^^That is correct.

God is showing us how our SA can help others. He has shown me so many things, it's unbelievable. The human condition and the emotion/action around it. Interesting stuff.

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Because you lack faith.
ringfortheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

It doesn't make sense for us to have a perfectly smooth life. I believe in Jesus Christ man! I wish I could be a better friend of his.
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

ive experienced God working through me, no matter how anxious and scared and depressed i am. i pray alot, asking Jesus to help people to overlook my weaknesses, and that they would be benefitted by me even if i am so weak im unable to help anyone. and in the midst of my worst trials, people will tell me that i have made a huge positive difference in their lives. i have no idea how it happens..all i know, is that God chose to work through me to show his love to others, he did so without taking away my faults and fears. he hasn't cured me, but he has given me the strength to make it through without giving up. he has also given me hope that someday, things will be better. i don't like to read this part of the bible...but it says that even christians will suffer and have hardships in life. the point is, we have hope and love to carry us through. if being a christian meant we would have no trials or sufferrings...why would anyone need faith, or perserverance, or trust in God? i think it makes God happy, when he sees people trusting in him, and not turning away, when things get hard. then God knows he has people who really want to follow him, because they love him....not because life is simply perfect with him. if i was famous, i would want friends who love me for who i am, not for what i have and/or give to them. although if somebody was really my friend and loved me for who i am....i would absolutely love to give them anything they asked for or needed. maybe jesus is like this, in a way..
Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

jesus made my life hell if he exists
Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

illlaymedown,your right,that there is positive fear,especially when we can fear God in a positive way.I guess,in my life,there's never a situation that doesn't have fear in it,and it just holds me back and makes me paranoid.I grew up in constant fear,and although it has subsided a tremendous amount,I hate being fearful over stupid things.
AshCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCash View Post
illlaymedown,your right,that there is positive fear,especially when we can fear God in a positive way.I guess,in my life,there's never a situation that doesn't have fear in it,and it just holds me back and makes me paranoid.I grew up in constant fear,and although it has subsided a tremendous amount,I hate being fearful over stupid things.
I love very much the book of Job....if you are a believer and you haven't read it, you really really should. I can relate very much to it. I have a pretty bad family situation and had a pretty terrible childhood...it sucked, but I can relate to and help a lot of other people cus of it plus it kept me from getting caught of in many things people do that ruin their own lives and others. People have choices whether they are hard to make or easy...if you didn't have choices you'd be a robot....Jesus/God doesn't affect people's choices. Jesus doesn't put you thru misery or fear all your life, but he does allow it to an extent(doesn't cause it, but sometimes allows it).
I wish people who had no idea what they're talking about, are angry at God and wanna take it out on Christians, are flat out non-believers, or whatever else would stick to their own thread types rather than come on a Chrsitian thread just to be rude There's no point in it...if you don't like it, don't read the thread...read ones that relate to you. I honestly don't see the point of putting up a sarcastic comment especially one that is completely unfounded on a thread where a person is genuinely needing some comfort...

"Sometimes a person has to be loved before they can become lovable."~Ravi Zacharias

"As we have gotten more open-minded, we have become more closed-hearted."

My avatar is my art...www.myspace.com/illlaymedown
illlaymedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I believe that in life god gives us both darkness in which we need to overcome, and light to hold on to. When he says 'we should have joy and not be afraid' he does not mean that if we have fears then something is going wrong, or that it is our fault that we have fears. I believe that he is just telling us that he wants to help us overcome those fears.

Also fear is not a bad thing. In fact in many times it is a good thing, if you don't have fear then you can't have courage.

Negativity is a disease
⇒ Get well soon ↵

polardude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Without SOME fear we would never get through it and over it. It's a lesson for us.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
jesus made my life hell if he exists
Maybe it was the Devil. Not Jesus if you believe in him. I don't imagine Jesus would do that to anyone. Jesus quality is love. The Devil's is hate
and he wants you to feel that way and blame Jesus. They're enemies!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polardude18 View Post
I believe that in life god gives us both darkness in which we need to overcome, and light to hold on to. When he says 'we should have joy and not be afraid' he does not mean that if we have fears then something is going wrong, or that it is our fault that we have fears. I believe that he is just telling us that he wants to help us overcome those fears.

Also fear is not a bad thing. In fact in many times it is a good thing, if you don't have fear then you can't have courage.
Sunshine009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

I cannot find the main website of Celebrate Recovery. It is a 12 step program for Christians with problems. If you could find a Celebrate Recovery in your area, maybe at a big church, like a community church, a big nondenominational church would be most likely but I've seen them at other churches like Baptists also. That would be the ideal place. To find other Christians like yourself that are going through what you are.
Sunshine009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default Suffering

Many of the Bible's greatest characters experienced terrible trials, suffering, illness, etc. Crap happens to all of us. We just have to be able to say "Blessed be the name of the Lord" in spite of all of it. Perhaps our suffering will cause us to rely on God alone, not others? Perhaps this is part of our redemption, even though it may be difficult for us to see it? One day there will be no more tears, suffering, anxiety...
solitarian is offline   Reply With Quote