Is cremation a form of spiritual rebellion? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,025
Is cremation a form of spiritual rebellion?

I am a Christian but I am also a physicist. Therefore, unlike other Christians, I don't blindly assume that evolutionists are purposely trying to support sin. I see an objective evidence in favor of evolution. I still believe in creation: after all if in science we can have other kinds of paradoxes, such as incompatibility between quantum physics and gravity, we can also have a paradox where it looks like evolution yet in reality its creation. From the scientific method point of view, we shouldn't "invent" one more paradox unless there is a compelling evidence in its favor, which there isn't. But, on the other hand, every reasoning is based on axioms, and I can consciously say that the axioms I invent can be motivated by Pascal's Vagor. Thus, in light of Pascal's vagor, I invent the axiom that creationinsts are right, and then say its a paradox that things look otherwise, and I liken htis paradox to other paradoxes in science. But thats besides the point. The point I am trying to make is that, unlike other Christians, I will never accuse evolutionists of sinister motives. While most Christians are claiming that evolutioninsts are trying to promote sin, I beg to disagree with them: I think evolutionists aren't trying to promote any sin, they are simply trying to be objective.

However, there is some OTHER group of people that I DO accuse of sinister motives: and those are the people that perform cremation. Why? Because they have absolutely nothing to gain out of cremation, besides the rebellion against God. Now, some of them will argue that Bible doesn't have any verses against cremation. But let me ask them once again: what are they gaining by cremation anyway? If they can't give me a clear answer to this question, I am forced to conclude that what they are gaining is sin and, if so, they can't then go and tell me its not sinful since then they are contradicting themselves.

Now, one thing they CLAIM they gain is that cremation is cheaper than funeral. Okay then how about my mom's former landlord who is a millionare, yet he made his death wish to be cremated (and he was a couple of weeks ago). As a millionare, why would he worry about something as petty as funeral consts, particularly since he won't even be alive to use that extra bit of money? Now, he just happened to be one of the people who was mocking religion, well not really but a little bit. Basically he is Jewish by birth but he doesn't believe in God. He has nothing against having passover in his house, but he would also make jokes about it along the way which his religious friends didn't mind since they were his friends. Also at times when I would argue with my mom about some of the food she is giving me not being kosher (even though I believe in Jesus I also keep kosher since I am Messianic) he would mock me for that too. And finally when he mentioned his death wish and my mom told him its against Jewish law he said "its not the first law that I broken". Anyway, you got the picture. Now, in light of the fact that he is a millionare, do you REALLY think that his motivation for final wish was just to save a little bit of money? Somehow I disagree and I feel like his motivation is to mock God.

And even if we do talk about people that are a lot poorer, the "choice" between cremation and funeral is "false dillemma". Why not just burry a body without EITHER cremation OR funeral, wouldn't it be the cheapest option of all? Why is that they assume that if they don't do a funeral they have to cremate? Is it because lack of funeral implies sin and if they are going to sin why not sin some more by cremating? Is this the logic? Is it kind of like they want to do something spiritual and since they can't do God's worship (too "expansive" funeral) they have to do devil worship (cremation)? Thats how it feels like at least. And, once again, telling me that Bible doesn't have verses against cremation, doesn't cut it. If they truly don't think its sinful, what is so alluring about it that they want to do it? Apparently the sinfulness of it is what is so alluring.

Косой погнался с колбасой
Он совсем ведь не плохой
Просто слабый
Дайте каши
Может окрепнет
Не то что вода преснет
causalset is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Mackinac Island Fanatic
 
tehuti88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At the bottom of a lake (Michigan)
Gender: Female
Age: 40
Posts: 22,666
My Mood: Sad
I think you're casting an awful lot of stones in this thread. And complaining about the mote in somebody else's eye. And some other choice things that are rather sinful, themselves.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

***

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

***

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
tehuti88 is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 PM
SAS Member
 
sprinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,360
It's a stretch to think people always choose cremation because they are rebelling. What about this from http://www.biblestudy.org/question/w...cremation.html

Quote:
QUESTION: What does the Bible say about cremation?
ANSWER: Before we see what the Bible says about this topic, let us first get a dictionary definition. Cremation is the act of reducing a dead body to ashes or consuming it with fire. God's word does not have anything directly to say about the issue and, in general, on how to handle a dead body. It does, however, does give some examples of the burning of the dead. At the very least, there certainly does not seem to be any text that directly condemns the practice.
It should be noted, however, that some believers are against cremation. They believe that the burning of a dead human is a pagan ritual that disrespects the body God gives to each human being. While this Web site respects the consciences of fellow believers regarding this issue, it offers this short article as something to consider.
The Greeks were known to practice cremation. People in the Near East who also practiced this means of disposing of a dead body were the Hittites and the Mitanni. The practice of the Biblical patriarchs, however, was not this but rather burial. Abraham purchased a burial place for his wife Sarah, which later would be used for his own body as well as those of Isaac, Rebekah, Leah and Jacob (Genesis 23, 49:31). Moses was buried in the ground (Deuteronomy 34:5 - 6). In the New Testament, both Lazarus and Jesus' body were placed in the ground when they died (John 11, 12:17, Matthew 27, Mark 15, etc.).
Interestingly, if a person accepted the Nazarite vow, that person was forbidden to touch any dead body, even one of a close family member (Numbers 6:6 - 7).
The word of God does give a few examples where bodies were burned after death. The children of Israel, under the leadership of Joshua, convicted a man name Achan of a grievous sin against God. Their punishment was to stone him to death then to burn his body completely (Joshua 7).
After the Philistines killed King Saul, Israel's first human king, and his sons in battle, they took their bodies and nailed them to the wall of Bethshan. Valiant men of Jabeshgilead heard what happened, retrieved the bodies off the wall, then burned them (1Samuel 31:11 - 12).
Is there such a thing as reincarnation?
Is it wrong to donate your organs before cremation?
Can the devil contact the dead?

King Josiah of Israel, after executing several pagan priests who served at the altars of false gods, had their bodies burned (2Kings 23:19 - 20). This act was a fulfillment of a prophecy given by God through a prophet of Judah (1Kings 13:2).
The Apostle Paul made a statement that implies that to offer one's body to be burned, like a cremation, is not sinful but actually highly self-sacrificing.
3. And if I give away all my goods, and if I deliver up my body that I may be burned, but do not have love, I have gained nothing (1Corinthians 13:3, HBFV)
God does not command all bodies must be buried. He also does not expressly forbid their disposal through fire (cremation). The examples of burial reflect what was the accepted cultural practice and tradition of disposing bodies at the time of a person's death and not a Biblical mandate. How a person's fleshly existence is handled after they die does not affect their salvation or God's ability to resurrect them (see Ezekiel 37:1 - 14).
Lastly, here is something to consider. The costs associated with burial (the coffin, the burial plot, embalming, etc.) are usually far more expensive than cremation. This is especially true when a person's ashes are either scattered or placed in an urn for a loved one to possess and not placed in a cemetery. The money saved would be of better use to those who are alive (charities, family members in need, surviving spouses and children) than to those who have departed. Each Christian should make such an important decision, concerning either a loved ones' or their own bodies, based on prayerful consultation with our heavenly Father.
sprinter is offline  
 
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
SAS Member
 
roxslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Gender: Female
Posts: 625
I still don't understand how you can appreciate science but still believe in creation but whatever, I don't care. What irks me is how you can't grasp that not everyone considers god or christianity in the same way you do, even other christians, as I know at least one that chose to be cremated. If you assert that you have your own unique stance on the world, then why is it hard to see other people have their own unique stances that might have nothing to do with yours? As an atheist, God or "sin" doesn't even come into my mind when I think about my own or other people's deaths. I don't want to be cremated but any option I choose for my corpse will have nothing to do with god or the bible.

I think people just choose cremation due to personal preference, cost and also with it becoming increasingly socially acceptable/the norm. A lot of people find the idea of becoming a family keepsake, spreading their ashes somewhere or planting it into a tree, making it into paint, whatever, to be poetic. I really doubt anyone or most people would choose to direct their death into something so futile like a last "eff you" to God, especially if they don't believe in one.
roxslide is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:08 AM
Don't make me stink
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 43
Posts: 19,516
My Mood: Relaxed
You can't be serious?

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:34 AM
Stoic Hobo
 
Erroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pa.
Gender: Male
Posts: 664
I've seen mummies in museums, laid out totally naked. You could see the preserved sexual organs and everything.

After seeing such an undignified display, I resolved to be cremated, because I don't want to become a anything like that museum spectacle in death, with people examining my nether regions. Also, the thought of worms munching on my eyeballs does little to persuade me in favor of a normal 'dignified' burial.

If there is an all powerful god, then I do not think he would require any special materials to bring his creation back to life. Ashes would work as well as worm poop.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)
Erroll is online now  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Lived life face.
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Gender: Male
Age: 44
Posts: 11,561
Let the dead bury their dead.

I don't think the container you choose after you leave for one last trip matters much, since there's basically two ways available to you in modern society. Burn or be buried.

I think the ritual matters more than the way. Like if you were to have a Viking burial as a christian and they pray to Odin for you. Then that would probably be wrong.

Anyway. I chose being burned. Seems less complicated and I sure as hell don't want a catholic priest giving a lying through his teeth sermon.

"Scrub was a good man, loved by many." lol

Yeah right.

Everything that once was will be again
Scrub-Zero is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Mackinac Island Fanatic
 
tehuti88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At the bottom of a lake (Michigan)
Gender: Female
Age: 40
Posts: 22,666
My Mood: Sad
When I was younger, the thought of being cremated horrified me (probably because I was so familiar with ancient Egyptian afterlife beliefs which call for the preservation of the body). Then as I grew up, I thought about it more. Yes, thought about it--I don't just decide on a whim to believe or not believe something.

Now I actually wish to be cremated (useful organs donated so I do something useful with my life), and have my ashes scattered in a place meaningful to me, just so I can become one with nature again, since in my viewpoint, God is in everything and I'd like to be part of that everything, too. Closer to Him, I guess you could say.

No desire for sin or rebelling against God involved in my plans whatsoever.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

***

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

***

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
tehuti88 is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 AM
SAS Member
 
porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 103
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post

Now, some of them will argue that Bible doesn't have any verses against cremation. But let me ask them once again: what are they gaining by cremation anyway? If they can't give me a clear answer to this question, I am forced to conclude that what they are gaining is sin and, if so, they can't then go and tell me its not sinful since then they are contradicting themselves.


If those statements aren't a contradiction then I don't know what is. What I gain is peace of mind while I'm still alive knowing that no one has to slave over me by digging a grave and putting me in it. Hopefully, when I'm resurrected I will have a new age-abiding spiritual body and not this decaying physical body.

If it's not condemned in the Scriptures why do you care? That's an honest question.

FAITH isn't blind. It's the EXPECTATION of things not seen. -Dave in Tenn
porter is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cyberspace
Gender: Male
Age: 17
Posts: 5,173
It doesnt seem sinful to me to cremate people.
sad1231234 is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 AM
SAS Member
 
reese444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Age: 20
Posts: 713
My Mood: Dead
i want 2 be left in the woods 2 rot but i dont think that's legal.


if cremation is rebellion against your God then maybe I want to be cremated... hmmm

it's coronas in Daytona, y'all
reese444 is online now  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Posts: 40,403
My Mood: Doh
I don't think cremation is a sin. We will have new bodies in heaven anyways.

~ I may be weak but Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail, but my God, You never will ~ Elevation Worship
Kevin001 is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Now, some of them will argue that Bible doesn't have any verses against cremation. But let me ask them once again: what are they gaining by cremation anyway? If they can't give me a clear answer to this question, I am forced to conclude that what they are gaining is sin and, if so, they can't then go and tell me its not sinful since then they are contradicting themselves.
If those statements aren't a contradiction then I don't know what is.
Well its possible that Bible doesn't condemn cremation but people that cremate think that it does yet they lie that it doesn't. Even though in reality it doesn't, them saying that it doesn't is still a lie since they think that it does. And the evidence for them thinking that it does is like I said: I can't think of another motive to cremate besides trying to be sinful.

Well I guess now that I got some replies those I guess are possible motives. But still its pretty hard to imagine my mom's landlord wanting to be "one with nature" in this way: he is just too materialistic. I still suspect he was trying to mock God but obviously I don't know: he is no longer alive to ask.

And by the way I didn't say Bible doesn't condemn cremation. I said "its possible that it doesn't". Basically what I was trying to do was to analyze people's thinking without asserting what Bible actually says.

But anyway, going back to the Bible, I think the argument that God can create a new body out of dust is akin to what Jesus was asked in the wilderness by the devil: about him jumping off a cliff and angels would hold him; Jesus' response to that was "you shall not tempt the Lord". I think God recreating body out of dust is pretty much the same concept.

Косой погнался с колбасой
Он совсем ведь не плохой
Просто слабый
Дайте каши
Может окрепнет
Не то что вода преснет
causalset is online now  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
The word of God does give a few examples where bodies were burned after death. The children of Israel, under the leadership of Joshua, convicted a man name Achan of a grievous sin against God. Their punishment was to stone him to death then to burn his body completely (Joshua 7).
That only confirms what I am saying: you see how burning was reserved for unrighteous? Perhaps thats because the act of burning would condemn the soul to hell.

Косой погнался с колбасой
Он совсем ведь не плохой
Просто слабый
Дайте каши
Может окрепнет
Не то что вода преснет
causalset is online now  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM
SAS Member
 
reese444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Age: 20
Posts: 713
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post
That only confirms what I am saying: you see how burning was reserved for unrighteous? Perhaps thats because the act of burning would condemn the soul to hell.
if your God exists I want to go to hell tho

it's coronas in Daytona, y'all
reese444 is online now  
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 AM
SAS Member
 
porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 103
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post
Well its possible that Bible doesn't condemn cremation but people that cremate think that it does yet they lie that it doesn't. Even though in reality it doesn't, them saying that it doesn't is still a lie since they think that it does. And the evidence for them thinking that it does is like I said: I can't think of another motive to cremate besides trying to be sinful.
Ah ok gotcha, I think I get what you're saying now. Thanks for clearing that up.

It really is no surprised to me when we intentionally rebel against God seeing how it's in our nature or it is at least how we all started out.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity [deep seated hatred] against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

FAITH isn't blind. It's the EXPECTATION of things not seen. -Dave in Tenn
porter is offline  
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post
I am a Christian but I am also a physicist. Therefore, unlike other Christians, I don't blindly assume that evolutionists are purposely trying to support sin. I see an objective evidence in favor of evolution. I still believe in creation: after all if in science we can have other kinds of paradoxes, such as incompatibility between quantum physics and gravity, we can also have a paradox where it looks like evolution yet in reality its creation. From the scientific method point of view, we shouldn't "invent" one more paradox unless there is a compelling evidence in its favor, which there isn't. But, on the other hand, every reasoning is based on axioms, and I can consciously say that the axioms I invent can be motivated by Pascal's Vagor. Thus, in light of Pascal's vagor, I invent the axiom that creationinsts are right, and then say its a paradox that things look otherwise, and I liken htis paradox to other paradoxes in science. But thats besides the point. The point I am trying to make is that, unlike other Christians, I will never accuse evolutionists of sinister motives. While most Christians are claiming that evolutioninsts are trying to promote sin, I beg to disagree with them: I think evolutionists aren't trying to promote any sin, they are simply trying to be objective.
Your posts are all way too wordy. You don't need to compose a textblock on evolution to ask a question about cremation.

Quote:
However, there is some OTHER group of people that I DO accuse of sinister motives: and those are the people that perform cremation. Why? Because they have absolutely nothing to gain out of cremation, besides the rebellion against God. Now, some of them will argue that Bible doesn't have any verses against cremation. But let me ask them once again: what are they gaining by cremation anyway? If they can't give me a clear answer to this question, I am forced to conclude that what they are gaining is sin and, if so, they can't then go and tell me its not sinful since then they are contradicting themselves.
You aren't forced to conclude that. You're just hypothesizing it, and it's really a hell of a jump, not to mention insulting.


Quote:
Now, one thing they CLAIM they gain is that cremation is cheaper than funeral. Okay then how about my mom's former landlord who is a millionare, yet he made his death wish to be cremated (and he was a couple of weeks ago). As a millionare, why would he worry about something as petty as funeral consts, particularly since he won't even be alive to use that extra bit of money? Now, he just happened to be one of the people who was mocking religion, well not really but a little bit. Basically he is Jewish by birth but he doesn't believe in God. He has nothing against having passover in his house, but he would also make jokes about it along the way which his religious friends didn't mind since they were his friends. Also at times when I would argue with my mom about some of the food she is giving me not being kosher (even though I believe in Jesus I also keep kosher since I am Messianic) he would mock me for that too. And finally when he mentioned his death wish and my mom told him its against Jewish law he said "its not the first law that I broken". Anyway, you got the picture. Now, in light of the fact that he is a millionare, do you REALLY think that his motivation for final wish was just to save a little bit of money? Somehow I disagree and I feel like his motivation is to mock God.
His motivation wasn't to mock God, he didn't believe in God. It's possible that he wanted to flout rules that a group of people wanted him to follow that he thought were pointless, although if I had to guess he just didn't really consider the Jewish law one way or the other for this decision.

But even if for him cremation was something as bizarre as an act of "spiritual rebellion", which doesn't sound like it's the case, that wouldn't mean anything about anybody else. It's ridiculous to apply his motivation to everyone else, regardless of what it is.

Quote:
And even if we do talk about people that are a lot poorer, the "choice" between cremation and funeral is "false dillemma". Why not just burry a body without EITHER cremation OR funeral, wouldn't it be the cheapest option of all? Why is that they assume that if they don't do a funeral they have to cremate? Is it because lack of funeral implies sin and if they are going to sin why not sin some more by cremating? Is this the logic? Is it kind of like they want to do something spiritual and since they can't do God's worship (too "expansive" funeral) they have to do devil worship (cremation)? Thats how it feels like at least. And, once again, telling me that Bible doesn't have verses against cremation, doesn't cut it. If they truly don't think its sinful, what is so alluring about it that they want to do it? Apparently the sinfulness of it is what is so alluring.
I don't know what you're talking about here, whether there is a funeral for a dead person and how the body is disposed are two entirely separate things. The financial benefit isn't that it's cheaper to cremate a person than to hold a funeral, the point it's that it's cheaper than burying them.

The costs associated with death tend to be very high, cremation does reduce them. It's not the only reason people choose cremation, but it's a valid one. Deaths often cause major financial crises for families. It's not a petty consideration.

You're declaring it to be sinful without a theological basis within your own framework (let alone anybody else's), which you admit. Then you're assuming that naturally then it's the allure of being sinful that is the motivation here, as opposed to being creative enough to come up with a less ridiculous guess, or, you know, just looking up some reasons why people do it and not starting with the assumption that they're lying.
persona non grata is offline  
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by persona non grata View Post
His motivation wasn't to mock God, he didn't believe in God. It's possible that he wanted to flout rules that a group of people wanted him to follow that he thought were pointless,
Thats what I meant, but it gets pretty gross sometimes. Like I read some satanists say that they don't actually believe in satan (just like they don't believe in God either) and the only reason they call themselves satanists is in order to mock the tradition that group of people choose to follow. I think that cremation is a milder version of the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by persona non grata View Post
I don't know what you're talking about here, whether there is a funeral for a dead person and how the body is disposed are two entirely separate things. The financial benefit isn't that it's cheaper to cremate a person than to hold a funeral, the point it's that it's cheaper than burying them.
I don't know why though. If you are talking about the cost of the grave, why not just burry a body under the ground without a grave, wouldn't it be even cheaper? If you say its not an "available option" and the only "available" options are either proper burrial or cremation, the question is why? I mean, whoever made cremation into a proper option, why couldn't they also make the type of burrial I describe as yet another proper option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by persona non grata View Post
The costs associated with death tend to be very high, cremation does reduce them. It's not the only reason people choose cremation, but it's a valid one. Deaths often cause major financial crises for families. It's not a petty consideration.
Okay what are the cost range? Is it hundrids of dollars or thousands or how much? All I know is that my family is a lot poorer than my mom's landlord, yet we burried my dad, while my mom's landlord got cremated. Its true that my dad was burried in Russia while my mom's landlord is in America so costs in Russia might be cheaper. But still my mom's landlord has a million dollars he put aside for his sons and we don't have anything equivalent to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persona non grata View Post
You're declaring it to be sinful without a theological basis within your own framework (let alone anybody else's), which you admit.
I didn't say there is no theological basis. I said "lets pretend for the sake of the argument" that there aren't: that way I emphasize the other points I am making even more, without throwing additional controversy into the mix.

But yeah I can see theological arguments against cremation. First of all, the advocates of cremation are saying that God can re-create the body out of the dust at the time of resurrection. But that argument is logically parallel to what devil said to Jesus in the wilderness: that Jesus can throw himself off the cliff and angels would hold Him. Jesus' response was "you shall not tempt the Lord". But then wouldn't "challenging" the Lord to recreate body out of the dust be the same kind of concept? Its one thing if there is something you can't help, such as the skin naturally rotting, and you believe that God will take care of that. But its another thing that you purposely create additional challenges for God by cremating because God can deal with that too -- thats where Jesus' statement "you shall not tempt the Lord" applies to.

Another argument I see against cremation is that God is against any kind of changes to the body altogether: body piercing, tatoos, etc. In fact microchip implant is likely going to be the mark of the beast. So if God doesn't like small changes to parts of the body, how much worse will it be to cremate the entire body?!

And finally, the decision pertaining to death is the one thing you can't possibly repent off of. Thats why when in doubt I would be far more careful regarding death decisions than I would regarding any decision pertaining to when i am still alive.

Косой погнался с колбасой
Он совсем ведь не плохой
Просто слабый
Дайте каши
Может окрепнет
Не то что вода преснет
causalset is online now  
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post
Thats what I meant, but it gets pretty gross sometimes. Like I read some satanists say that they don't actually believe in satan (just like they don't believe in God either) and the only reason they call themselves satanists is in order to mock the tradition that group of people choose to follow. I think that cremation is a milder version of the same thing
Why are we talking about Satanists now? You haven't given a reason why cremation would be related, you're just making a random connection based on nothing.

Quote:
I don't know why though. If you are talking about the cost of the grave, why not just burry a body under the ground without a grave, wouldn't it be even cheaper? If you say its not an "available option" and the only "available" options are either proper burrial or cremation, the question is why? I mean, whoever made cremation into a proper option, why couldn't they also make the type of burrial I describe as yet another proper option?
I'm not actually sure what you're describing.

If you dispose of a body by burying it, the place where it was buried is called a 'grave'. I don't understand what you mean by burying without a grave, because anywhere you bury a body becomes one by definition.

If you bury somebody you need to pay for a suitably large plot of land. An urn requires a smaller space, and in many cases ashes are scattered rather than buried. Another major cost is the casket, which is generally a lot more expensive than a cremation on its own.

I'm not disputing that burials can be done cheaper than they are by, for example, dispensing with the casket, but that's often not considered appropriate and isn't even allowed at many cemeteries.

Quote:
Okay what are the cost range? Is it hundrids of dollars or thousands or how much? All I know is that my family is a lot poorer than my mom's landlord, yet we burried my dad, while my mom's landlord got cremated. Its true that my dad was burried in Russia while my mom's landlord is in America so costs in Russia might be cheaper. But still my mom's landlord has a million dollars he put aside for his sons and we don't have anything equivalent to that.
That's the sort of thing you should Google before making this sort of thread.

Quote:
I didn't say there is no theological basis. I said "lets pretend for the sake of the argument" that there aren't: that way I emphasize the other points I am making even more, without throwing additional controversy into the mix.
That's not how I would describe what you've done, but moving along.

Quote:
But yeah I can see theological arguments against cremation. First of all, the advocates of cremation are saying that God can re-create the body out of the dust at the time of resurrection. But that argument is logically parallel to what devil said to Jesus in the wilderness: that Jesus can throw himself off the cliff and angels would hold Him. Jesus' response was "you shall not tempt the Lord". But then wouldn't "challenging" the Lord to recreate body out of the dust be the same kind of concept? Its one thing if there is something you can't help, such as the skin naturally rotting, and you believe that God will take care of that. But its another thing that you purposely create additional challenges for God by cremating because God can deal with that too -- thats where Jesus' statement "you shall not tempt the Lord" applies to.

Another argument I see against cremation is that God is against any kind of changes to the body altogether: body piercing, tatoos, etc. In fact microchip implant is likely going to be the mark of the beast. So if God doesn't like small changes to parts of the body, how much worse will it be to cremate the entire body?!
Even if your theological reasoning was valid here, so what? Not everybody follows your religion. Not everybody who does follow it will agree with your interpretation here. You're making a specific claim about the motivation of people who choose to cremate or be cremated, but you've offered literally nothing to actually support it.

I find the position that cremation is wrong because it changes the body to be bizarre anyway. You know perfectly well what happens to a body after you bury it.

Quote:
And finally, the decision pertaining to death is the one thing you can't possibly repent off of. Thats why when in doubt I would be far more careful regarding death decisions than I would regarding any decision pertaining to when i am still alive.
So you think that cremation might be a sin that jeopardizes your immortal soul in a worse way than almost any other that you can commit, but God just never got around to mentioning this explicitly? That sounds like a rather incredible omission on his part.
persona non grata is offline  
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM
SAS Member
 
reese444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Age: 20
Posts: 713
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalset View Post
Thats what I meant, but it gets pretty gross sometimes. Like I read some satanists say that they don't actually believe in satan (just like they don't believe in God either) and the only reason they call themselves satanists is in order to mock the tradition that group of people choose to follow. I think that cremation is a milder version of the same thing



I don't know why though. If you are talking about the cost of the grave, why not just burry a body under the ground without a grave, wouldn't it be even cheaper? If you say its not an "available option" and the only "available" options are either proper burrial or cremation, the question is why? I mean, whoever made cremation into a proper option, why couldn't they also make the type of burrial I describe as yet another proper option?



Okay what are the cost range? Is it hundrids of dollars or thousands or how much? All I know is that my family is a lot poorer than my mom's landlord, yet we burried my dad, while my mom's landlord got cremated. Its true that my dad was burried in Russia while my mom's landlord is in America so costs in Russia might be cheaper. But still my mom's landlord has a million dollars he put aside for his sons and we don't have anything equivalent to that.



I didn't say there is no theological basis. I said "lets pretend for the sake of the argument" that there aren't: that way I emphasize the other points I am making even more, without throwing additional controversy into the mix.

But yeah I can see theological arguments against cremation. First of all, the advocates of cremation are saying that God can re-create the body out of the dust at the time of resurrection. But that argument is logically parallel to what devil said to Jesus in the wilderness: that Jesus can throw himself off the cliff and angels would hold Him. Jesus' response was "you shall not tempt the Lord". But then wouldn't "challenging" the Lord to recreate body out of the dust be the same kind of concept? Its one thing if there is something you can't help, such as the skin naturally rotting, and you believe that God will take care of that. But its another thing that you purposely create additional challenges for God by cremating because God can deal with that too -- thats where Jesus' statement "you shall not tempt the Lord" applies to.

Another argument I see against cremation is that God is against any kind of changes to the body altogether: body piercing, tatoos, etc. In fact microchip implant is likely going to be the mark of the beast. So if God doesn't like small changes to parts of the body, how much worse will it be to cremate the entire body?!

And finally, the decision pertaining to death is the one thing you can't possibly repent off of. Thats why when in doubt I would be far more careful regarding death decisions than I would regarding any decision pertaining to when i am still alive.
Random question, do you consider doctors and psychiatrists to be evil as well? You sound like one of those people.

I'm just curious as to why you'd want to follow a God like that. If vaccines and medications and everything are Satanic, then I'd follow psychiatrists and doctors to the depths of hell before I'd follow your God.

it's coronas in Daytona, y'all
reese444 is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6th form or college???? Megashyguy Students 7 12-08-2016 12:35 PM
spiritual disorder. Tsuba11 Spiritual Support 4 01-02-2016 07:25 PM
Spiritual Support for an Athiest is nowhere Blag Spiritual Support 6 12-06-2015 06:15 AM
One must connect with Where's Wally on a deeply spiritual and interpersonal level Callsign Agnosticism, Atheism and Religion 0 11-05-2015 09:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome