Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Fear - Who Is Your Master?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  whiteclouds 
#1 ·
Over the years, fear has dominated much of life. My thoughts, my worries, my concerns, my anxieties were all dominated by the unseen world of "what if's". My decisions were founded in fear.

Paul wrote in Romans 6:16, "Don't you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master?" Fear was my master.

Fear told me not to drive. So, I obeyed.
Fear told me not to fly. So, I obeyed.
Fear told me what I could and could not do.

Fear told me there is no hope. So, I believed.
Fear told me I'll never change. So, I believed.
I had more faith in fear than I did in God.

Should we cast aside all fear? No. God created us with a fear response, what psychologist call the "fight or flight" mode. This is natural. But, there is a difference between rational fear and irrational fear.

Rational fear says, "Don't drive fast, because it's dangerous." Irrational fear says, "Don't drive at all, because I might have an accident." Rational fear says, "I wonder if I locked my front door." Irrational fear says, "I've checked the front door three times now, but I should check it again to make sure it's locked."

Over the past few years, God has done an incredible work in my life regarding fear. I stopped praying for God to take away the fear and started praying for strength and courage to overcome the fear. I was tried of being a slave to fear.

Listen carefully to these instructions from God: "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10).

God promises to strengthen you and help you. He promises to uphold you and carry you through the fear, if you'll trust him. God doesn't promise you freedom from the storm--he promises you protection through the storm.

I share this message from my heart, because it has worked in my life. So many people are desperately searching for something that works. This works. God can be trusted. He loves you more than you realize. Today, turn from obeying fear, and turn to God. Let him carry you through the storms of fear.

Take that step, for God promises you this: "When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you" (Isaiah 43:2).

Prayer: Father, give me your strength, and give me the wisdom to know how to respond to fear. I choose today to rest in you and not fight this battle on my own.

Blessings!
Russell

o-----------------------------------------------
| Russell Pond <><
| Season of Peace
| email: peace@season.org
| web: http://www.season.org

See less See more
#2 ·
I can definitely relate to fear being my master...I never look at change as an opportunity for improvement or a different perspective...I always imagine the worst, and expect disaster...Pitfalls to a different job, different housing, or even driving to unfamiliar places...I don't see the chance for positive developments but always worry about what might possibly go wrong...I always obsess on worst case scenarios, and am afraid of change, new things and situations...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.