Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Beards and Christianity

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  lilyamongthorns 
#1 ·
I don't understand, but most churches like mine seem to not like beards much. I think it goes back to the 60s or something. I mean, they are totally accepting of people to come with facial hair, but if you don't have facial hair and start not shaving the girls especially just drive you crazy about it. I don't get it. I mean, I guess people don't like change, but why are beards a big deal?

Most people in the Bible had beards, why is it different today? Is it because they don't really serve a purpose other than vanity, or is there something rebellious about them? I just don't understand why I can't just try growing a beard if I want to. I know a lot of older people in general thought having a beard meant someone was trying to hide something.

#2 ·
I thought this thread was gonna be about gay Christian men and their wives.

#5 ·
:eek

Must be just your church that has a problem with it. Seems like a lot of Christian guys today are into growing beards. I haven't heard of any issues with it in the church. With the women, it's just a preference thing. Some women like it, some women don't, and some don't care one way or the other. I think the problem with your church is they see it as a grooming issue. Like, how some workplaces don't allow you to grow beards. They think clean shaven is clean cut. It has to do with the culture but not with the bible. So, you are free to grow a beard. It's trendy right now and maybe you go to an old-fashioned church and they're stuck in their mindset.
Some do grow beards, many don't

The Messianic(maybe not all) and the Amish require beards. Well with the Amish it's if you are married you need to have a beard.
Well, I'm single so I guess I don't need to have a beard.

#3 ·
Most people in the Bible had beards, why is it different today?
Must be just your church that has a problem with it. Seems like a lot of Christian guys today are into growing beards. I haven't heard of any issues with it in the church. With the women, it's just a preference thing. Some women like it, some women don't, and some don't care one way or the other. I think the problem with your church is they see it as a grooming issue. Like, how some workplaces don't allow you to grow beards. They think clean shaven is clean cut. It has to do with the culture but not with the bible. So, you are free to grow a beard. It's trendy right now and maybe you go to an old-fashioned church and they're stuck in their mindset.

#6 ·
God likes beards.

"You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard."-Leviticus 19:27

Specifically unkempt beards.

#9 ·
Kept short - not killed.

I need to look young to attract the ladeeez. :)

Seems like many to me.
Perhaps.

Maybe I need to listen to a "turn or burn" sermon on beards :lol.

#16 ·
I think this is about the right answer...
Is It Wrong to Shave or Cut One's Hair (Leviticus 19:27; 21:5)?

Notice a more modern rendering of these verses in the New King James: "You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard" (Leviticus 19:27); and, "They shall not make any bald place on their heads, nor shall they shave the edges of their beards nor make any cuttings in their flesh" (Leviticus 21:5). It is quite plain that this proscribes a particular kind of shaving or cutting of hair.
It was a ritual custom of the heathen to cut or trim their beards and hair into special shapes in honor of a particular pagan deity. To honor the sun god Ra, the ancient Egyptians had their dark locks cropped short or shaved with great care so the hair that remained on the crown appeared in the form of a circle surrounding the head (from which the halo derives), while the beard was dressed in a square form. Alternatively, a round bald spot might be shaved on the head.
It is this type of false worship the Bible forbids. Shaving one's beard and cutting one's hair for normal good grooming is something entirely different and not at all condemned in the Scriptures. In fact, the apostle Paul takes great pains to address proper grooming of one's hair in I Corinthians 11:2-15.
http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseac...ng-Shave-Cut-Ones-Hair-Leviticus-1927-215.htm

#18 ·
To me, a beard is acceptable as long as it doesn't outlengthens the hair on the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.