Votes: 34 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.6%

Have you ever had a terrible birthday?

3K views 35 replies 35 participants last post by  ljubo 
#1 ·
If so why?

#7 ·
I'd been coordinating a big get together with some of my friends from high school I hadn't seen in ages. But then my grandmother suddenly and unexpectedly passed away just two weeks before. So I cancelled everything and resolved to spend it alone. One friend showed up anyway (bless her), but it was still a very dreary affair. The whole season was. That was an awful winter.

Same. Add the fact that my birthday falls between Christmas and the New Year, most people just didn't have time to show up if I had any sort of ceremony on my actual day of birth.

#10 ·
i don't celebrate birthdays. i'm born in the summer so when i was little all my friends were away on vacation at that time, i was just with my parents. however, i had a bad one about 3 years ago, i invited my 2 best friends at the time, they didn't really want to do anything and at one point they went on my computer to find movies that they're gonna see together (without me of course :) ). i live in the same street with one of them and next year on my birthday she invited the second friend to her house, they even walked together around my house and the street and just congratulated me in the evening through a text. ugh this brings back bad memories, they ruined years of my life. needless to say we aren't friends anymore.
i never actually had a proper birthday, never celebrated it and no one ever seemed to care.

#11 ·
Got the news my dad has cancer. Not that I had many good birthdays before then, but that has definitely been the worst so far.

#15 ·
Perfect timing since my birthday was a few days ago, lol. But yes, every birthday of my life has been bad. Extended family would always come over even though my family didn't want them to. I had social anxiety even as a child, so the whole thing used to stress me out so much that i always got a headache. The worst one might've been my 15th, a few months after my dad passed away, and a part of the family insisted to show up despite us being totally against it. It was horrible but i have completely blacked it out. It hasn't happened since, but one of them still insists to come over and give me a card face to face every year. Cheers to them for making me hate birthdays forever.

#16 ·
My parents observe my birthday on the nearest weekend so that my sister can come... so on most official birthdays nothing birthday-related actually happens. I don't remember if any of those normal days were especially bad though.

I guess this year was the worst, because I tried to throw myself a party via scheduling a movie/games meetup at my apartment for the SA group I organize, on my birthday. Only two people came (a couple), and they were an hour and a half late and then I couldn't get them to leave until 1am. Was quite awkward.

#17 ·
I've had plenty of bad birthdays. Beyond giving me birthday cards my family hasn't bothered celebrating for years.

The worst was my 17th when my 'friends' stayed at my party for less than an hour because they had other plans - I was an afterthought. My closest friend knew how awful it was for me, but she left with the others anyway.

#19 ·
Yes, I was 10 I think. It was my very first birthday party and well...it was awkward as all hell. My friends and i just sat down and ate food and none of us spoke. We just stared at each other, to try to get things music I decided to try to play music...what a failure that went, I felt very embarrassed. I've had other bad ones, but I consider that the wrost.

#23 ·
I don't know about "terrible" but I don't think my birthday is a big deal anymore. Ever since I was like 12, whenever my birthday came around, I just though, "Meh."

#24 ·
Life is dark

I really can't say Happy Birthday to anyone. That's for 2-year-olds to say, only

I'm amused when spending a birthday alone.

My last birthday (40) was on my dead father's funeral! Summer 2016. That's amusing enough.

I quite like accuracy. Any occasion is usually very analog. Schedule can be randomly chosen to suit someone and not others. Brother organised stuff and said he couldn't change the date. Good.

I've spent my life alone since 25. That won't change.

Dad was happily married until passing of mum 2006, so he spent 10 years alone. Me 15 years alone. Only 30 years of mum. anyone get get more years out of theirs?

#26 ·
My 21st birthday was the worst.
My (ex) boyfriend who lived in a few states away came to visit me for a few days, and I found out he was only there to sleep with me and was starting another relationship behind my back. I caught him on the phone with another girl and later saw all the texts and phone calls exchanged between them.

I was a wreck.

#29 ·
Yes. I've had many terrible birthdays. I think almost all of them since about the age of 11 or 12 I could describe as being decent or worthwhile. I think only my 17th, which was okay as I had my first driving lesson, stands out as being an 'okay' birthday. The rest were either instantly forgettable, upsetting or downright dire.

I'm still awaiting to have my 'milestone' 18th, 21st and 30th birthdays… :rolleyes: Most people have huge parties to mark this occasion. I was snubbed on my 18th (my brother had to finish work early to take me to the pub), I was effectively alone on my 21st (bought my own present – a hotel suite for the evening) and I was completely ignored on my 30th last year. Nothing was arranged, all I had was a few lousy generic cards and a pair of shoes from the parents (that I actually paid for…:blank).

I no longer celebrate them purely because all the best ones are now over - and were ruined. It really hurt me emotionally and I cannot turn the clock back. I wouldn't want a party now simply because I feel so short-changed from many previous years that need to be made-up for, first. I'd rather have nothing than a few scraps of comfort now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.