Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Have you taken St Johns Wort to treat your SA?

Has Anyone Tried St Johns Wort??

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Noca 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has taken St Johns Wort for SA and if it was helpful and how it made them feel.

#2 ·
I tried a bottle of it several years ago. I didn't notice any effect, but then I didn't use it long enough to really give it a serious trial. The dose probably should also have been higher to increase the chance of seeing some results.

I tend not to have much faith in herbal remedies in general. The stuff I've read on St. Johns Wort has been conflicting -- some studies say it helps a little and others say it's just plain useless.

#7 ·
I didn't use it for my SA ...per se... I used it for my depression about 2-3 years ago when I was totally and completely depressed. It actually helped me out a lot but it caused serious tightness in my chest. Because it worked I used it until I couldn't stand the tightness of my chest. Then a few months later I used it again until I couldn't bear the chest pain. I haven't really been depressed since! One day here and there, that's it.

A couple years before that I had been on zoloft which sent me from manic-depressive to depressed all the time. I think the St. John's Wort helped to get system going in the right direction because I haven't taken anything since I took the St. John's Wort and I'm fine as far as the depression goes!

#10 ·
I tried it several years ago but it seemed to make my SA worse. I stopped taking it after suffering a panic attack. I had dropped by to visit a neighbor who invited me into her house. When her daughter joined us in conversation in their living room, I noticed myself beginning to sweat and I panicked. I quickly walked to their front door and waited to be let out (like some pet). How embarrassing was that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.