Why is the world so depressing? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Reply
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
broseph's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 909



Default Why is the world so depressing?

There's so much evil in the world it's depressing. So many dirty politicians, so much killing, everyone is so manipulative. So many people I know try to hide from reality by distracting themselves with other things. They don't want to deal with real problems because it's too much work. It just makes me want to do drugs all the time but I know this is just what "the Man" wants me to do so that I'm not a threat to him. There's so much potential for a better world but no one sees how they can go about doing it. I just don't know how I can be happy knowing that no one is really free.
broseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 363



Default

There is no such thing as evil. The world is dominated by futility and greed driven by money. Its all pretty pointless. I find it hard to understand because I appreciate simpler things in life like the beauty in nature and the good in people.
thesilenthunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
OneTimed's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 111



Default

I don't want too get much into the abstract idea of evil, because I feel like that will inevitably lead to topics related to religion, and I don't want to start a flame war. Maybe we could start a topic in general discussion called "theodicy" or something.

As to people's capacity and inclination to do nasty things to others, I think it stems from a combination of selfishness and laziness. It can often be a lot easier to get ahead or feel better about yourself at someone else's expense than to try to help your fellow human being. That's why I try to lead a semi-altruistic life. I think if we all did what we could for others (within reason) while not completely neglecting our own needs, the world would be a lot better off. The only thing that you can do is try to work to be what you consider "good" and hope that others take a hint. Obviously this won't change society as a whole in any short amount of time, but the only people that were can directly control is ourselves.
OneTimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 363



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalo123 View Post
If there is good than there is most certainly evil otherwise how would you know the difference?

we could both get into an argument about this and both go away certain that we are right. Instead of wasting my time I am going to have a beer and chill.
thesilenthunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Age: 40
Posts: 368



Default

Philosophy is a waste of time. We will never have the answers to "why" things are as they are.

The natural order is what it is and no amount of refinement will change it. We just have more time to think because we are not busy trying to keep from being eaten by lions or something.

I have found that "why" only leads to depression and disappointment.
hatepickingnames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
CeilingStarer's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 3,406



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepickingnames View Post
Philosophy is a waste of time. We will never have the answers to "why" things are as they are.

The natural order is what it is and no amount of refinement will change it. We just have more time to think because we are not busy trying to keep from being eaten by lions or something.

I have found that "why" only leads to depression and disappointment.
I agree, even though I don't want to. My musings over the years have brought me great revelations. But, the cost of this insight has pretty much been me witdrawing from mainstream society.

I sometimes envy the naive and ignorant. I feel like I've retained more of my soul, but they are effectively going to lead happier lives.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Age: 35
Posts: 1,198



Default

i don’t think that is true. there is good and bad in life, that is normal. the thing is that if one is going through ‘rough times’ one is bound to just focus on the rough times. “you are what you eat.”
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Status: User Requested Permanent Ban
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The core of earth..its hot
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,265



Default

Our minds and the thoughts we think make it depressing.
Emptyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
mcmuffinme's Avatar
 
Status: Agent of Aslan
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,592



Default

http://www.youtube.com/user/soupsoup.../0/l7AWnfFRc7g

This video is relevant to your disappointments with our world. It's an academic lecture about human empathy and how it could be used to better the world. I really liked it, and it's very interesting and educational.
mcmuffinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 1,377



Default

I blame capitalism... When you're at the top, you've got it all... and you're willing to negatively effect or ruin others lives for you own benefit. Lets face it, why should you give a crap about other if you're rich. You can pretty well do as you please!

Corporations are soul-less and lull us into this false sense of security, more-so if we spend spend spend. Useless products, and food that's bad for us.

YES there ARE good people in this world, but the bad overwhelms the good. People complain about losing their freedoms when they're taxed... even though it's for their own benefit and societies benefit because taxes pay for our social programs, infrastructure, and health care.

Why is there so much evil or bad in the world? It's because people just plain don't care enough... It's a dog eat dog world out there and in the end you just need to look out for yourself!

This is society... nobody gives a rats a*s if you go bankrupt... nobody is going to offer their house to you even though they have 3 empty rooms and extra food in their fridge.

People think capitalism is all great and powerful... I disagree, I believe it fosters all that is bad in the world and we need a balanced system to socialism mixed with capitalism that is world-wide. A new world order where all nations share resources equally so that no one person starves, lives un-sheltered, or has to fear being raped when they go to bed at night.

I'm thankful for what I have, but wouldn't think twice about giving up a lot of what I own to know that it's going towards letting others live a decent life like me... That day will never come though, because we just look out for ourselves... Those who suffer today will suffer tomorrow.

Media doesn't help either. They only share what people are interested in and 90% of the time it's all the bad drama going on in the world.

But that's all just my opinion. So don't listen to me. Have your own opinion.
__________________
sc: ziggzaggz
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Zeddicus's Avatar
 
Status: ಠ ಠ
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 912



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepickingnames View Post
Philosophy is a waste of time. We will never have the answers to "why" things are as they are.

The natural order is what it is and no amount of refinement will change it. We just have more time to think because we are not busy trying to keep from being eaten by lions or something.

I have found that "why" only leads to depression and disappointment.
I respectfully digress.

We cannot truly be certain of anything in life - even uncertainties.

Conversely, I have found that studying philosophy and contemplating the nature of reality are some of the only things in life which, to me, truly feel as if they have meaning. Sometimes the truth may lead to pain, but, in my mind, pain is nothing compared to the value of the truth.
Zeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
MissMay1977's Avatar
 
Status: Beautiful Mess
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Gender: Female
Age: 36
Posts: 1,284



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptyheart View Post
Our minds and the thoughts we think make it depressing.

I agree. It is all a matter of perspective. What one person sees as negative another person can see a positive in it.
__________________
If you fall- fall on your back. If you can look up- you can get up. Les Brown
MissMay1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
BBQ_Chicken's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: styx
Gender: Male
Age: 18
Posts: 4,667



Default

sometimes i feel that way. Sometimes i feel its just be being a sad loner.
Like anywhere you go everything is sexed up in a way annoys me even now on this site it says 'Become a pickup "master" ' lol everywhere like on the morning news you get some 40 year old women talking about how to have good sex and how to have a better sex life. Is stupid. Mostly greed for something like money, sex, fame or something else truthfully id put myself over all of you since i dont know you apart from to be famous which i dont care about. Kindness is limited with most people and if eveyrone was kind the world would probably be dead since over populating or earlier global warming or something like that.

But on the other hand it sounds like im just over exaggerating and just feel depressed lol, hard to say about these stuff, like do footballers (soccer) deserve all that money, if they didnt the big clubs and companies would get all of it. Another example is: People who are not clever don't deserve all that money, which they are lucky. But on the other hand isnt it lucky to be clever? I think. I like philosophy in which you can go on about random stuff. But its likely that i wouldnt have the confidence to type what i think and its the top 30 or so people in the year who do it. Added to the fact im in a grammar school its nearly impossible for me to get into it.
BBQ_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broseph View Post
There's so much evil in the world it's depressing. So many dirty politicians, so much killing, everyone is so manipulative. So many people I know try to hide from reality by distracting themselves with other things. They don't want to deal with real problems because it's too much work. It just makes me want to do drugs all the time but I know this is just what "the Man" wants me to do so that I'm not a threat to him. There's so much potential for a better world but no one sees how they can go about doing it. I just don't know how I can be happy knowing that no one is really free.
Broseph,

The Bible has the answers. These days, people seem to be willing to go to great lengths to deny Biblical truth, and reject the God described within. Look where the rejection has got us!

There is a higher Authority above Man. That is God. He gave His creation His Law. The vast majority of Man rejects God's Law, and His authority. Man can do this, as God also gave us free will. That is the reason for the evil in this world.

Its like a child who thinks he knows better than his parents, and plays in traffic. Sooner or later, the child gets run over by a car. If the child had just been obedient...

-Joseph
cdnsigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 196



Default

We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
__________________
I'm not shy. I'm just holding back my awesomeness so I won't intimidate you.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
lad
 
lad's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brighton, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 834



Default

Depends how you look at it.
__________________
Troopers will troop.
lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 227



Default

You probably only think that cause you watch the news too much. The news will only publish bad stories, so your view of the world get's bias towards it being a scary place. Look at statistics for crimes, corruption etc and you'll see in western countries that these are rare events, very unlikely to happen to the average person. Watch local news to see how boring/uneventful most people's lives are lol.
gollum22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 45



Default

I think a certain breed of people make the world a depressing place, the ones who are greedy, power mad, hateful etc. It would be cool if all the 'good' people could congregate in one part of the world and leave the others to it.
plasticpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 131



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broseph View Post
It just makes me want to do drugs all the time but I know this is just what "the Man" wants me to do so that I'm not a threat to him.

I'm happy you said this. Most people are under the impression that doing drugs is rebelling against the man, and that they're wise and free spirited for doing so.

No.
Happy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 131



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepickingnames View Post
Philosophy is a waste of time. We will never have the answers to "why" things are as they are.

The natural order is what it is and no amount of refinement will change it. We just have more time to think because we are not busy trying to keep from being eaten by lions or something.

I have found that "why" only leads to depression and disappointment.

I'm happy you said this. Most people think if they learn something philosophical and act like they understand life, that they're somehow more worthy of life.

No.
Happy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to succeed in the real world? (corporate world) sociallybehind Coping With Social Anxiety 3 01-28-2010 09:13 PM
My depressing songs... too depressing? BeNice The Arts 5 12-31-2008 11:47 AM
This place is depressing..... inn3rlogic69 Board Help and Feedback 47 10-18-2006 09:18 PM
World Poverty - (Very depressing I warned you if you read) Gerard Society & Culture 20 07-09-2006 07:39 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.