Why is shopping for clothes so hard for me? I get so anxious when in stores. - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Why is shopping for clothes so hard for me? I get so anxious when in stores.

I really like online shopping because I can do it from the comfort of my home. But I absolutely detest shopping for clothes because you actually have to go to the store and try things on. It's not like grocery shopping either where you can just toss everything in the cart and make a b line straight to the checkout line.

Clothes shopping takes a lot of time and patience meanwhile your anxiety levels are steadily climbing throughout the entire process. It doesn't help that I am a picky dresser so actually finding something I like is hard. Then you have try it on to see if it fits. The whole ordeal takes hours and constantly being approached by people is scary too. I just want to browse in peace instead of having nosy salesmen and other shoppers tell me what I should get.

I know it shouldn't be a big deal at all so why is shopping for clothes so hard for me? Now that spring is coming along I need to get new clothes. I've been pushing it off for so long because I dread it. I don't do online shopping for clothes once I realized that sizes are too inconsistent and often times the clothes don't look like what they appear in pictures. So trying it on is a must.
gentleman caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Of all the regular things a person does in public this is the worst for me. I have no idea why it doesnt make much sense. Other than what you put the only other thing i can think is most clothing stores are really bright and well lit that usually is uncomfortable for me. I also have no sense of fashion whatsoever and think everything will look bad on me or im trying too hard to look good.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is horrible for me, so much anxiety builds up. I feel like im being rushed looking for clothes and other people are watching me. I hate when salesmen approaches me and asks question, I know they are just doing their job, but it makes me uncomfortable xD.

Salesman: "Need any help? This would fit you nicely!"
Me: "No thanks." (Now go away!)

I just prefer shopping online, its more convenient for me and you don't have to worry about anxiety or dealing with other people. <3
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

It used to be hard for me too.
I would go into shops for short periods of time without pressuring yourself to buy anything. That way you don't get stressed that you'll be spending the next couple of hours out in public and you don't panic if you don't find anything. Just go into a couple of stores and look around, then leave. You're likely to gradually get less stressed.
Also look at the stores online before you go in to see if they have anything you like the look of. Then you can just zoom in, try it on and decide if you want it, and you'll already know that there's nothing else in that store that you want.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibble View Post
I feel like im being rushed looking for clothes and other people are watching me.
This. Not just for clothes, but any sort of shopping. I feel as though if there's any sort of hesitation with what I'm doing (ie. when I have to look at things and decide what I want), then I've taken too long and that people will observe that I've taken a long time, and then that they'll look at what I'm looking at and pass some sort of judgement. 'Browsing' is just not comfortable at all.
SuperSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

i absolutely despise shopping for clothes. i want to have a break down every time i set foot in a clothing store.
matsuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Me too. But my problem is I think people are judging me from what kind of clothes I'm looking at. I don't want people to think what I like is ugly.. Then again, why does it matter what other people think.. Oh if I could only get myself to believe that..
xTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I get a lot of anxiety trying clothes on. Especially shoes, because I feel awkward taking off my shoes in the main part of the store. Eep. Because of this I don't shop very often.
And I'd sure appreciate it
Everyone else's goal's to get big headed
Why should I follow that beat being that I'm
Better than fine"

--Fiona Apple
trendyfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm the same way. Except, I always have this intense need to buy clothes that are a size or two too small for me. It feels like the cashiers will look at the size I'm buying and think I'm fat. This sounds so ridiculous even to me, but it makes me so anxious. I won't even try on what I buy for the same reason.
RoflSaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are you people aware of stores like Ross and Marshall's? Not as organized as the stores you've been going to, but cheaper stuff and definitely no nosy salespeople.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Clothes shopping is the worst for me as well. I feel like everyone is judging me when I go into a store. I hate asking to use a change room and feel like people are thinking "ugh he's gonna try that on? He can't pull the look off!"

That's why I only shop online now. I've done enough instore shopping at the stores I like where I know my size so when I order things online 9/10 times they fit perfectly. The ones that don't fit I just consider it the cost of not having to go to the store in person. Plus things are cheaper online especially when stores have X% off everything AND I purchase discounted gift cards online to get even more savings on top of that.
FTFADIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

shopping in general sucks ... i'd much rather pull my own teeth
Beelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflSaurus View Post
I'm the same way. Except, I always have this intense need to buy clothes that are a size or two too small for me. It feels like the cashiers will look at the size I'm buying and think I'm fat. This sounds so ridiculous even to me, but it makes me so anxious. I won't even try on what I buy for the same reason.

Trying it on is must for me. Because if it turns out I don't like it there is no way I am going to return it. Buying clothes is hard enough, but to return them is too much of a hassle for me. That's why I have to make sure I love it before I buy it. Otherwise I'd waste a lot of money on things I don't even wear.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFADIA View Post

That's why I only shop online now. I've done enough instore shopping at the stores I like where I know my size so when I order things online 9/10 times they fit perfectly. The ones that don't fit I just consider it the cost of not having to go to the store in person. Plus things are cheaper online especially when stores have X% off everything AND I purchase discounted gift cards online to get even more savings on top of that.

Maybe I should try this. Go buy a few things from a store just so I can have a reference of the sizes. The fact that I am really picky never helps because I want to try it on before I buy. But I guess something has to budge.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

I want to take all of you shopping; we can take our time, and I'll scare the employees away from us. I'm addicted to it. "I'm just looking, thank you" will keep the employees away.
itsjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

I hate shopping because I feel like everything in me looks ugly.
pikachu2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

I was the same way.. I found going alone helped. You are right it takes patience just make sure you go when you have the day free and take your time. Its worth it when you end up with comfortable fitting clothes.
river1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

A good way to overcome something like this is simply to research about said clothes. What clothes do you like? What style is it usually categorized as? What material do you find comforting? What sizes are you? Sometimes just knowing the answers to these questions can make you walk in confident.

When a worker asks if you need help, you can tell them exactly what you're looking for in utmost detail. I even find that if you shop intuitively like this, you get better service and it doesn't become a task of getting clothes and getting out.

And by better service, I mean laid-back service. After a confrontation like that you can just be like. b--ch please give me space. And they will moonwalk 400 paces away from you. You can still tell them you're just looking from the beginning. But it's good to be confident rather spontaneous and uneasy. At least , that's not how I would want to feel, you know.
LxHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I hate shopping because I hate the checkout line. Unlike back East, people in Arizona are so ... fake and friendly that I feel like they expect me to be the same. I'll be nice, but my timidity shows through and I get the feeling they think I'm aloof or rude. I've had check out people be really nice to people in front or back of me but when I walk up this look of disdain comes on their faces, usually women. I feel so hated and I don't understand why...
kittykat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
Me too. But my problem is I think people are judging me from what kind of clothes I'm looking at. I don't want people to think what I like is ugly.. Then again, why does it matter what other people think.. Oh if I could only get myself to believe that..
I'm exactly the same. I love looking for new clothes and I have very definite tastes in what I like to wear, but all that vanishes as soon as I step into a shop - I imagine the sales assistants s******ing to each other about me. I know they probably couldn't care less (why should they?) but it terrifies me. In the past I've bought clothes I didn't even like just because an assistant has recommended them to me - if she'd kept on at me another ten minutes I'd have been in such a state she probably could have talked me into taking out a mortgage for her.

Now I buy lots of stuff online. Which is okay, except that now I have paranoid fears of warehouse staff laughing at whichever freak keeps buying all these clothes.
Ljudumilu is offline   Reply With Quote