X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do some employers make it so hard to get a job?

I don't understand this.

I just called up a place that was hiring. They were really interested, until I showed how anxious I was over the phone...then suddenly, it was, "Umm, do you have any serving experience?" And then, suddenly you had to have worked at a 4 star restaurant in order to get a job there.

I'm sorry I've only worked retail, but that doesn't mean that I can't learn how to serve! It's like discriminating against someone because they only have one leg. Well, having SA is like cutting off your leg, so it's a good analogy, but wouldn't a job get sued for discrimination if they said you couldn't work at a job because you have mental or physical problems? How is SA any different?

Sometimes I'd like to say, "Sorry you're so stupid", but I won't. I like having the possibility of getting a job, and getting blacklisted probably won't solve anything.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I understand you, It's frustrating. You can do what you can but you can't change your whole persona over night. And yes they don't see a mental problem they just see nerves, and you're not gonna turn around and tell them you have an axiety disorder because it's not really taken that seriously even though we know it can be serious, and you're trying to put your best foot forward and hide your nerves. So yeah it's frustrating, I'm sorry you're finding it hard. To try to give you some perspective, it's one job in the whole world and it's one guys opinion. You could go to an interview and notice nervous qualities about your interviewer, or you might talk with them more easily because you just click with them better, no two people are the same but that just means it's unlikely the next person will react in the same way to you. Don't let it make you sell yourself short and remember it's perfectly normal and acceptable to be a little nervous in that situation but those nerves are more for you but you're still trying despite that.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree.

I've had managers up and tell me that I'm 'too shy' to work at a job. That you have to like people, and be able to deal with them.

What I don't understand is, how does me being shy/quiet/anxious mean that I don't like people? I like people just fine, as long as they treat me with respect. In fact, I go into stores all the time, and socialize just fine, and as long as the people treat me with respect, I socialize absolutely friggin' fine.

I don't understand how anxiety = that I hate people, or dislike them.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

In most places it is illegal to train people without paying them. Consequently, because of the cost, employers look for experienced individuals even for low level jobs.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Job discrimination is everywhere and it exists in all types of different ways.

I remember on a couple different occasions, testing for government office jobs and both times, hundreds of people showed up, and 90% of them were black females. When you see that, it becomes rather obvious who they plan on hiring for the positions.

And then on a phone interview I had recently, the lady accused me of being "a really calm person." Then when I had the face-to-face interview, I was asked to tell them a joke, which I kind of stumbled on. I got rejected after that. Apparently I wasn't enough of a clown to work for them.
Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

^Wow,that's just nuts-unless they're hiring a comedian,who cares if you can think of a joke! People need to cut the crap,they're not looking for a fraternity brother or a drinking buddy!! What happened to being honest,responsible and hard working??

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Still Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm 20 and have never had a job, but that was not from lack of trying. Since I have no work experience, no one wants me. Um, how am I supposed to get work experience if nobody in this town will give me a chance? I got good grades in school and have always been a hard worker, but I guess that just isn't good enough for them. **** 'em. Work should NOT be hard to find. If someone honestly wants to support themselves, than others should give that person a chance. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in.
Chris3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

dude, i know i'm just 16 but take it from me: if you're gonna work a job as a server, you have to be able to speak up and act like you are confident in yourself. that means you can't show an interviewer that talking to people makes you nervous...cause that kinda goes with the job. they aren't being unreasonable.

and maybe you're perfectly fine around people, but judging from the fact that you said you sounded anxious over the phone, i'm guessing they just assumed that type of environment was not for you.

it does suck though, and in a way it is discrimination, sort of...the prob is most customers are not as understanding as an employer could be and will get extremely frustrated if you are a quiet person and they can't hear what the hell you're saying (i worked at a restaurant..). they probably won't come back.
AkwardNisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe you could get Propranolol or something from your doctor. That should help when you make phone calls or go on interviews.
Typical Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures View Post
Job discrimination is everywhere and it exists in all types of different ways.

I remember on a couple different occasions, testing for government office jobs and both times, hundreds of people showed up, and 90% of them were black females. When you see that, it becomes rather obvious who they plan on hiring for the positions.

And then on a phone interview I had recently, the lady accused me of being "a really calm person." Then when I had the face-to-face interview, I was asked to tell them a joke, which I kind of stumbled on. I got rejected after that. Apparently I wasn't enough of a clown to work for them.
wtf? wow these interviews are really bull****ting if they're asking people to tell jokes
i don't see what that has to do with working.

i was in a group interview that asked us "what's your favorite snack food, why? and what does it says about your personality?".... now maybe im stupid but i can't see how food relate to my personality....they're looking for perfect no flaws personalities to do these simple jobs
successful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

tell a joke? wow that's something i've never heard of. I've had some pretty tough interviews over the years - once i had an interview for a huge company for my uni work placement, the woman nearly had me walking out with her bizzare questions that i stumbled on. Surprisingly i got through to the next round of interviews.

i come across as very chatty in interviews, cos of my nerves (not good as i'm liable to say anything at that point) and the minute i'm in the door i revert back to being shy
Hello22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Maybe it's because companies don't want to invest in someone only to find out 2 weeks into the job that they hired the wrong person. It's expensive and wastes everyone's time. They also have the ability now with the internet to contact virtually anyone in the country and then only hire the most qualified individuals.
steelmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I understand where you are coming from, have been to heaps of interviews for getting a job as an 'office assistant' and I just wasn't good enough. Even with qualifications and experience
But did manage to get a job eventually even though I stuttered and blushed through the whole interview!

I think also that there is so much competition out there so prospective employees can be fussy.

Just keep putting yourself out there even if you do get rejected.
littlemisshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I guess they have a zillion applicants and can afford to be picky.

A sports bar was opening up around here, and during the interviews, they were asking the potential line cooks how to make fancy sauces. Yes, a place that serves premade spinach & artichoke dip out of twenty-gallon vats was asking future minimum-wage employees to list off all the jazzy stuff they learned at Cordon Bleu.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Answer: America is in a crappy economic state right now and employers are scrutinizing their labor budget, trimming extraneous workers and doing general micro-managing that means you don't get a job. If and when the economy turns around you will have a much easier time getting a job.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures View Post
I was asked to tell them a joke, which I kind of stumbled on. I got rejected after that.
LOL...what kind of job was this that required you to tell a joke in the interview?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

It's in their best interest to hire someone who they believe would suit the job, sure it's shallow and unfair for them to decide if someone is right for them based on an initial phone call or whatever but it's how it works. There is no spoon feeding out in the real world, it's a battlefield.
Prodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

It does seem that employers nowadays are looking for any reason not to hire someone.

I blame the recession.
Peter Attis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Attis View Post
It does seem that employers nowadays are looking for any reason not to hire someone.

I blame the recession.
No plenty of people are being hired. However, any period of unemployment or an 'unstable' job history or worse less than stellar interview skills will give an employer the excuse not to hire someone.

Those with stable work histories or who recently graduated have more job offers than they know what to do with.

I am unemployed and have to come to grips that I am unemployable. I have 2 degrees in fields that are supposed to be in such high demand but the fact that I worked as a temp for 15 months at one company and that I haven't worked at all in 6 months scares employers off.
Nick9075 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfeit self View Post
Answer: America is in a crappy economic state right now and employers are scrutinizing their labor budget, trimming extraneous workers and doing general micro-managing that means you don't get a job. If and when the economy turns around you will have a much easier time getting a job.
Not if you have been unemployed. Those who will have such an easy time finding work are those already employed. Unemployed people today are treated as lower than crap and it makes SA worse. No one wants to associate with someone who is unemployed.
Nick9075 is online now   Reply With Quote