X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do I suck at everything i've tried?

**** this.

Weapons kill quickly and painlessly, poison kills quickly with pain, words on the other hand, kill slowly but deadly.
sadfaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, that did make me feel better that there's someone else out there I can relate to. I'll probably be on this forum board a lot considering I'm if I'm not at school.

Weapons kill quickly and painlessly, poison kills quickly with pain, words on the other hand, kill slowly but deadly.
sadfaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty good academically... But like you, I've never been invited to a party, practically never talk to girls unless they talk to me first. The only friends I have aren't very close either. But then again, girls don't interest me much, not sexually anyway (not gay), I'm more interested in finding someone I can relate to (besides online), someone like me, which to be honest, seems impossible.

I've only been praised for being smart, but the truth is I'm not that great, I usually get 70-80's, lately, I use to get in the 90's but since then my grades have dropped and I feel like I'm not meeting expectations. I've decided that having been stuck in a pit of depression is why my grades suck, so I've started to force myself to spend around an hour a day on homework and studying.

When it comes to sports I suck at it, but when I'm by myself I find I do a great deal better, I can't help but feel like I'm pathetic when I play sports, it creates a mental barrier that I just can't overcome, coupled with self-image issues.

I basically have no deep relationship with my parents. No one really knows what I'm really thinking either.

Oh, I also frequently forget things, but I'm not actually given any chores... I take it upon myself to occasionally take the clothes off the line, wash the dishes, put them back, etc... I really don't have anything better to do, to be honest.

Ahh well, it's nice to see someone else that appears to be having the same problems as me! I'll keep it short and tell you not to think about suicide, I had thoughts, but then I had another thought, and then another thought which was of how foolish I was to have that first thought. I've never thought about suicide in a serious fashion since.

Really, just keep bearing it and trudging on, if you work on it, things will get better, believe it or not but I'm in a much better position than the one I was in a few years ago, before that time, I was better than that time... But I guess I could say that having those problems then really changed me for the better, I wouldn't want to trade who I am today for anything else. I don't want to change the past, but I want to have a good future.

I also like messing around, but with another image-manipulation app, can't say I'm good with it though, I have no talent for it .
Saekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't really know that many people that have a true, natural talent for something. Most people have worked really hard at something over a few years before they become good at it.

So I wouldn't stress about it too much. Enjoy your hobbies and don't worry too much if you aren't that great at them - that'll take the enjoyment out of it. And don't worry about doing things perfectly, many of us with SA fall into that trap.

I hope this is semi-helpful. Something that I don't have a talent for is advice.
strawberryjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadfaze View Post
I hate my life so much to the point where I've contemplated suicide.
Oh come on? . Lets see:
1. I have no friends < You have friends, even including girls
2. I have boring hobies < You have exciting hobbies
3. Im a little older than you therefore I have a lesser time to improve myself, sometimes I think its too late < You, in the otherhand, are still 15 years old and its not too late

Still I strive to survive despite the aweful situation that I am in.
Setolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

It'd be wonderful if we didn't get into the "who has it worse" discussion, please.
strawberryjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryjulius View Post
It'd be wonderful if we didn't get into the "who has it worse" discussion, please.
That's not the purpose of my post. You see this guy has a possibility of hurting himself out of the wrong reasons. I guess SA and depression has blinded him from seeing the good and positive things that he has. I was hoping that my post would give him an idea that he is still young and he should make some improvements in his life while he is still young. Don't be too close minded mmkay?
Setolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

A students are very generic. Companies like to sucker A students into a depressing life in a cubicle lol; smart my ***. dont worry about it. Trust me its not what you may think. Be an individual. as for not being good at anything iam pretty sure you haven't tried many things for long enough. Natural talent is partly a myth. Who cares what people say--they dont know anything. Most people walk life in a walking daze.

What kind of video games do you have anyways?

yugioh is awesome btw i started that when it first came out in american. that was in 2002 I believe.

All you need is some core confidence. You have a mind and body like everyone else--do you honestly think they have something that you cant develope?

What you need to do is shift your beliefs that are stuck in your brain. Your negative beliefs are the only things that are stopping you from being good at things.
FoxHound212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

You are only 15! Most people do not discover their talents until much later in life. For example, George Winston, an extremely talented pianist, did not start playing music until 18, at which point he discovered that he was somewhat of a prodigy, and not just one of those "prodigies" that only has technical skills, but a truly amazing artist!

Grades have absolutely ZERO relation to intelligence. This idea has been commented on by many people, perhaps the most notable is Einstein, who did horrible in school (if I remember correctly) If you are depressed, then of course you will not meet your full potential. I did terribly in middle school and was mediocre in my first two years in highschool, but for whatever reason I completely turned myself around and am a straight A student at a decent university.

Again, let me reiterate, people discover new hobbies throughout their lives. I discovered a passion for gardening when I was 19. I never, NEVER, would have thought that I would garden prior to that, the thought never even crossed my mind. The world is filled with so many things that you never would have thought existed, let alone loved, until you find it. So don't beat yourself up because you have not found a passion for something that you are "good" at at 15. Again, the list of people who discovered their talents late in life is very long, in fact I believe their is actually a book about that, about amazing people that made amazing achievments very late in life. I will try and remember the name.

Oh, and I have met only a couple of people that actually ending up doing what they intended to do before they went to college. Just about everyone I have ever asked does not figure out their career until college, and even then it usually smacks you in your face later on.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

i also have the same problem but i dont really have any hobbies or enjoy anything someone please help
super flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

I guess the main thing here is you haven't tried everything there is to try yet AND you're bored and frustrated which makes everything you are trying / have tried seem that little bit more pointless. For the better part of a decade I haven't spent much time on the things I enjoy because I just can't see 'the point' and I talk myself out of trying new things for the same reason. It's only recently that I've got a handle on it and that whatever people say hobbies don't have to exist to 'get you out of the house' or 'meet people' or whatever - they are there for YOU to enjoy however and whyever you want.

I learned how to do about 6 different forms of tai chi, qi gong and 2 forms of swordfighting from books and videos online! I hated going to classes as it was just too tense - but now I have mad skills (lol) AND something to talk to people about if I'm ever in the 'What do you do' situation (shudder)

On the work front - don't believe that because people have a job a) they are good at it or b) that they like it!

Not sure this is helpful - but 'keep trying' is the message I'm trying to get out!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

youre only 15, its very normal to be struggling with finding your place in the world and what you'er good at. that's what adolescents is all about.

Quote:
Photoshop on the computer
that's something right there.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't want to sound like some annoying motivational speaker, but you need to stop thinking that you're not good at anything and going into everything expecting negative results(which I'm assuming you do, I could of course be wrong.)

Trust me, I've felt just about the same way at times in my life, I still do sometimes now, but I know there are somethings I'm good at, even if it can be hard to realise.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

If it didn't hurt when you stick your finger into the fire you wouldn't stop and you would burn to death. Or something along those lines. We have emotions to push us into good decisions. If you need food it feels good to eat. If your lonely it feels good to make a friend. As long as your making good decisions you will feel good about it. Emotions aren't there to reward you for being better than other people. There there to make you drink when your thirsty, eat when your hungry, sleep when your tired, etc. Everyone in the world can't be the best, but we can all feel good about our decisions.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've felt the same way at the time, it takes awhile for someone to find something their good at, I found out that i'm good at hidden object computer games and thats not even a work skill, but it makes me happy
snappyfringes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think a lot of people feel the same way, you're not alone. The people with amazing talents that they become famous for or profit from seem like a pretty small pool, few and far between. Everyone focuses on them and praises them, so they seem like unicorns or something.

The reason they're so good at whatever their thing is because they truly love it (most of the time, sometimes it's crazy parents pushing them). Don't give up just yet, keep looking for stuff that interests you, and when you find something you really love, it will be impossible NOT to have talent.
MaddyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

You need to quit your hobbies, thats what i did
Whoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Maybe you just need to stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Even if you are not instinctively brilliant at something, you can still get good if you are willing to work at it and it's something you enjoy.
I have been learning violin for the last few months and often get really upset because I feel like I am not progressing as well as I should be, but over that time I have been progressing - just slowly - and, for me, playing an instrument is as wonderful as it is frustrating so I am sticking with it. You just have to find something that means enough to you to want to work at.
SilentWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photoshopping needs talent and creativity, so you just disputed your own argument there. You're still young, you still have lots of times to try finding what you will actually like.
Mister Mxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

I don't know what we're talking about here, but anyway I guess math and science should find a solution to that someday...
FingerTheLastWords is offline   Reply With Quote