X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do I have bad luck?

Everyone tells me to be careful of what I think about because of self-fulfilling prophecies. I believe that, but I expect the best in life for myself. I expect solid relationships, friendships, great career, opportunities and everything great that life has to offer, but I always seem to get the opposite. Instead, I've never been married or have come close, I have few friends, I'm under-employed and may lose my house, no real career, nobody wants to hire me and I could go on. My reality is so different from my ideal life that it leads me to severe depression. I feel like I have the right attitude to attract great things and look for opportunities but I still have bad luck. What am I doing wrong? How can I improve my luck?
Cat House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did I mention that nobody in my life gives a **** about me? I live a very solitary life and I'm not close to my family. I don't have many friends so I joined this forum hoping to reach out to others with similar frustrations. Well I see many people read my post but nobody cared enough to reply. I was right, nobody cares about me, I'll always be alone and miserable.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I try always being a good person to people, family and friends, even strangers but bad luck is my best friend. I too have the same frustrations. The more I tried it seems the worse my luck gets. Each year things just get worse which make my depression really bad. It would help if people gave a damn but same here... People, family, old friends just don't and that's hard. We all deserve the right to happiness although with my bad luck it almost seems like my lifes cursed lol

“You may of course ask whether we really need to refer to "saints". Wouldn't it suffice just to refer to decent people? It is true that they form a minority. More than that, they always will remain a minority. And yet I see therein the very challenge to join the minority. For the world is in a bad state, but everything will become still worse unless each of us does his best.” ― Viktor E. Frankl
RawrJessiRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's not bad luck girls, it's call new generation has emerge, nobody gives a flying f**k about you or anybody else feelings that's how cold this earth is. I've learned this a long time ago. Well, the economy is f**k up, Illuminati group is laughing their azz off. What can you do, this world should end financially by 2012.
EmotionlessThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat House View Post
Did I mention that nobody in my life gives a **** about me? I live a very solitary life and I'm not close to my family. I don't have many friends so I joined this forum hoping to reach out to others with similar frustrations. Well I see many people read my post but nobody cared enough to reply. I was right, nobody cares about me, I'll always be alone and miserable.
I know how you feel though, my mom say the same thing now she's in the shelter trying to get a job as a nurse again to bring back money in her pockets. I wish good luck for you, it's very hard to get a job now.
EmotionlessThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you RawrJessiRawr and EmotionlessThug for your replies. I really appreciate it. RawrjessiRawr, my life feels cursed too! A friend of mine got a better job than I've ever had and she's never been to college. I have a bachelor's degree and can't even get an interview. She just got remarried and I've never been in a long-term, serious relationship. I think I deserve these things but never get them. I don't get it. A friend of mine told me today that I'm wasting my life away and it's my own fault. I'm so hurt by that. EmotionlessThug, you're right, that is the way people are today, self-centered and only looking out for themselves. Survival of the fittest and I'm dying fast. Good luck to your mom. Do either of you think the law of attraction works? I've never really tried it.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Laws of Attraction sound like a bunch of bs imo, well my opinion is bias cause i also have bad luck beyond the comprehension of the norm...it sucks and sometimes i feel there is no light at the end of this tunnel,.its weird cause i feel the same way you do...anyway i know im not much help but i just wanna give u peace of mind(or somethin along those lines) by lettin u know you're not alone, there are people(me included) who understands you and are here to support u...well i am, i cant talk for people.. hope things go well for ya
AllistairWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bad things happen to good people
Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

There is no such thing as "luck" There is no exterior force controlling whether or not things go well for you. "Luck" comes from within, it is down to belief and confidence. If one believes in oneself and is confident in their actions, things will naturally go well for them. Not all things mind you, rejection is a natural part of life. Those people with "good luck" accept rejection into their lives and move on, they don't let it weigh them down. You're part of SA forum, so I can only imagine that you are not one of these people.

People today hold onto a misconception perpetrated by society and the media that we're supposed to be happy; that it is owed to us. Happiness is not the natural state of things. Humans evolved merely to survive. In fact, fear and anxiety are probably more important emotions than happiness and joy. They keep up us alive, they stop us from walking out in-front of buses and being eaten by predators. Our sole purpose is to survive and reproduce, anything beyond that is a bonus.

Happiness is not owed to any of us. If our expectations for ourselves are too high, we will forever fall short and wonder why we're unhappy. I can only tell you to take more chances, accept failure into your life, stop comparing yourself to others and lower you expectations.

Ugh, that sounded preachy. I know it's incredibly hard to do these things and you're probably already aware of them...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

same here. I'm always defeated by everyone. there is always better than me. in music, arts and video games I can't defeat them they are too good and genius. In every defeat I feel like someone stepped on me in my face with human s**t under it.
luxpain12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Time for a reality check.
Life isn't easy. Life isn't like in the movies or like the 1950's. Surburbia isn't natural. We all come from a hunter-gatherer or agricultural background. So of course all these new concepts are going to be difficult, because they are unnatural.

There are millions, millions!, of people trying to accomplish the same thing, success in surburbia. And it sucks. And yes, most people feel the same way you do. It's a struggle and life should not be about struggle.
JaneSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

I know how you feel. I hate it when people keep blaming my bad luck on me saying if I think negatively I will attract bad luck but they have it all wrong, its actually the other way around... I dont get bad luck because I think negatively! I feel negative because of all the bad luck I get.

I always try to go into everything with apositive attitude but after 10 years of constant bad luck its hard to ignore it. I get so much bad luck that I believe I am jinxed, everyone around me has noticed how unusually bizare my bad luck is. I believe its from God and I don't know why his doing this to me.

For example everytime I buy something it turns out damaged, or faulty, it dosent matter what i buy, it can be food, clothing, or any household items but soon as I touch it or pick it out something is wrong with it. Its like if there is a shelf full of items that are in good condition and there is just one damaged , i always end up picking the damaged one. It happens so often my family jokes about it, we have tried everything like getting them to touch it instead and choose it for me, but even that turns out jinxed. It seems anythining I get involved in turns out bad.

I call it the bad luck lotto because I always get the 1 in a million pick on the worst case scenario. It effects every aspect of my life, it so bad that I hate my life and I am depressed about it because I feel like God is mocking and tormenting me by giving me the worst of everything.
Tormented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

We make our own "luck." Work hard and have a positive attitude and you will be rewarded.
Maslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've actually tried that "work hard and have a positive attitude, and you will be rewarded."

You want to know how I was rewarded? An unending streak of bad luck and an everlasting chain of frustrating events. Examples: I am currently looking for a job, and tried Pacesetters Personnel Services for a second time, only to find out that all the positions I was eligible for...were filled the DAY before I went up there to apply! How ironic? Well, it's actually NOT ironic, in my case, because such things happen to me on an almost daily basis. Am I actually "star-crossed," as Romeo and Juliet, that ill-fated couple of Shakespearean fame, were? Or is it something--or someone--more malevolent and with malign intent? Satan, perhaps? Is he the one who is bombarding me with nearly constant misfortune? Is it he who makes it so that the only opportunities I see are either "too good to be true" or are already gone (and thus old news) by the time I see them? Sure it has been said that opportunity doesn't knock twice, but it never even seems to knock in my case...or it does the whole "ding dong ditch" thing, where it rings my doorbell, only to run away immediately, so that I open the door on nobody. I've heard of many people who have similar cases of "CMS"--that is, "chronic misfortune syndrome". Is there a way to get rid of this, or am I simply "stuck" with it for life?
xirtamehtsitahw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Response to Tormented's post

If you think it is God Who is doing this to you, look the other way--it is the other one doing it--Satan! It is indeed possible for even a devout Christian to be "demonically oppressed", that is, seemingly beset by constant misfortune. I am suffering under the same circumstances, my friend. It is really hard to think positive, when all that positive thought only brings down upon me yet another steaming pile of...bad luck. It's as if the Devil dropped trow, popped a squat right over my head, and...use your imagination for the rest.

A verse from Ephesians, Chapter 6, goes as follows: "Above all, take up the Shield of Faith, that ye may be able to quench all the fiery darts of the Evil One."

What good is a shield going to do, when what I need is the world's strongest FIRE HOSE?!

I could sit here and quote verse after verse from the Good Book, but I feel more like Job, that poor sap who was targeted by the Devil in the Old Testament with every manner of misfortune--most of his slaves killed, his wealth destroyed, and eventually, even his health taken away! Yet, what did he do? He refused to curse God and die, instead preferring to praise Him with the words "The Lord giveth, and now he taketh away. May His name be praised!" Job did question God about this sudden downturn in his life, and God rebuked him with such words as "Whither wert thou when I did lay the foundations of the earth? Whither wert thou when I knitted thee in thy mother's womb?" Job, immediately humbled, sought forgiveness for his "sins", and God forgave him, and paid him back double what Satan had destroyed.

I sure hope that God pays me back double what Satan has done asunder in my life. Of course, that might not be until the Rapture. Then, it will be a moot point--I will be immune to misfortune, and cured of my Asperger syndrome, to boot. I will have a body and mind to last throughout eternity, instead of a body which is clumsy and a mind which is VERY quick to get frustrated, and therefore angry.

All I can say at the end of this post is, "Get thee behind me, Satan! Thou hast no place in my life, since Jesus is now in mine heart!"

I just wish it were a lot easier to keep Him in mind, instead of having Satan "get his way" all the time.
xirtamehtsitahw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Unhappy

Today, I chose to finally express myself in writing to what has been going on in my life in the past few years ... I have read all the posts in hope for some answers or even a hint of hope. I have unfortunately not found any of such. It would seem that I now live in perpetual bad luck and I am beginning this is a curse and has nothing to do with luck.

Dont get me wrong ... I use to be able to tell others and make them believe that sometimes bad luck brings good things. And that bad things happen for a reason ... and most times these reasons are of positive outcomes. Yes.. I once was an optimist until recently.

After many years of severe depression, I got the help i needed and decided to help others. In the meantime, because of my depression, my doctor ordered blood work. I found out within two weeks, starting on my birthday, that I was HIV positive, and a week later I was diagnosed with stage four cancer ... I was lucky enough back then to of had no symptoms for either ... or so I thought.

I decided to volunteer. I was able to do great things and I was proud that I was able to make a difference and I saw it ... but in the meantime, although the organization was aware of my HIV status, i kept my cancer diagnosis quiet as i did not want to be treated differently nor did I want to be told that i needed to slow down .. I was strong and i wanted to use the time i had left to help those in need and leave behind hope for those who had lost it and do something good before I die ..

Well things took a turn when my cancer diagnosis was discovered and since things got from difficult to unbearable.

During the time I was volunteering I was homeless and I had found someone to sgare a 2 bedroom ... I put him on the lease ... within a month he stopped paying rent to support his drug habit instead.

Then the second roomate repeated the first ... so I thought it must be a pattern I keep following.

So I screened the third one.

In the meantime I began to get ill, aches pains and lack of appetite,dizziness .. in short all the symptoms that come along with brain cancer.

So I had to stop my usual activities and needed help

So since march of 2012 ... I have been facing eviction since I cannot pay for my other roommates share. So i asked help. The help hasnt been very helpful since I cannot do all the work for them.

Until a few weeks ago, I would constantly have a new struggle to deal with but recently it seems that the bad luck streak is on fire.

Within the last 2 weeks ... my 3 month old Sim card gets damaged, I had to reset my phone and buy a new one, my internet goes down immediately after and not because my bill wasn't paid ... then my laptop beaks down, gets repaired and breaks down again .. gets repaired again ... and today I spot a mouse in my kitchen after I had asked ,my roommate not to leave garbage lying around and my kitchen faucet leaks ...

Bottom line, I just have become too ill to cope with all this 'streak of bad luck'. My health is getting worst and the stress in increasing. Taking deep breaths no longer works, Talking about it just makes people run away and they dont want to hear it anymore and I m also discovering that I am really alone ... many of my friends have distanced themselves because I am ill ... and I get that ... it is hard to deal with. So my only relief is crying myself to sleep every night ... and during the day until the tears dry out.

The irony is that for so many years i tried to end my life and where I find hope and begin to find life beautiful ... all odds turn against me. It s almost like life is telling me I had the right idea in the first place and all my efforts and work made no difference ... it was all in vain. And now that I seek some peace.. mind heart and soul ... I am condemned to constant and never ending curse as one bad things immediately follows another.

I was never one to ask for help. I was the go to guy when help was needed. And today I deal with it all on my own. I don't ask for pity or sympathy .. all I ask for is a reason why because I see a reason why all these bad things happen to me all at the same time. I have tried everything to understand but see no light at the end of this dark tunnel.
Behrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Smile cheer up charley

I have had a string of bad luck a few times..
car break down,sick parent, loss of rent, job redundancy, health matter etc etc.
it makes sense you lose your job, you get sick, your car breaks down and your credit gets worse, and it goes on...it is bad luck and people say that to me too. its interesting i had a job and some people thought i had a lot of bad luck and the others at the job were jealous of my good luck when it happened- so i left that job only to suffer worse bad luck/experiences. Bad luck is a sign that maybe you are doing something wrong or off your path or going against your true self.. like the new job i took was wrong for me as i am not finance or real estate oriented so why did i do it..when i like helping people get a job or helping people with their health or i enjoy talking about fashion and hair and glamour and movies and music . so i think maybe you should change something..go live with your parents or family who care about you, and get rid of negative influences..surround yourself with other people who are happy, supportive and positive. dont try to do everything on your own, be a bit more conservative and mainstream so people want to join you in their group. be confident. you have a degree and yet the others get a job, maybe you will get the next job and its a better job. maybe the right girl has yet to come along, so enjoy being able to flirt with anyone you like. be likeable be loveable. laugh. dont talk about your bad luck...talk about your good luck. tell your family not to remind you of your bad luck..so what if the computer breaks down..get a new computer..so what if you lose your job- get a new job a better job..dont use your credit card and save your money-debt sux.
dont worry about your health. everybody will get something one day unless they get run over by a bus. get the book you can heal your own life. look at the wonderful beautiful things that happen and focus on them . Dont listen to the naysayers. be smart, research things. get to know the job description and know your worth before you take the job, dont rush ..ask questions before you date someone and then wine and dine them and treat them amazing, women will pick you because you treat them good not because you are rich or goodlooking, because that does not always lead to successs.
be a friend, believe in your self, have counselling, watch lovely movies. things work out..trust your instincts. your health and youthful looks will return when you are happy and not sad..life is too short to be depressed or sad..
so come on everyone lets turn it all around and get out there and live and let live. be positive be happy be nice!!! You can do it. and remember one thing if it was really bad luck..you would not be around !!!
melisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default one more thing

behrto ..you are ill and tired and need a break..have a cup of tea and enjoy your privacy. you have regrets, you are in pain, you are analsying everything. people have done some mean hurtful things to me..because i was lost, i wanted some company and had no one genuine around me..but now..my parents have helped me and some of my genuine friends from the past are around me.. i had a painful break up last year and i was so lost because i did love him and yes i miss him and would love to have him back. i was sabotaged by 'friends" and family and i went against my instincts and relied on him to work things out without telling him my side of things..why o why did people want to see me alone and miserable instead of happy and in love with a guy who was obviously inlove with me..and now he is gone..i miss him..he was beautiful and wonderful ( when he was happy with me) .I have started to stand up for myself properly, i am researching jobs better, i have spoken my truth, i have requested from the universe only good guys approach me, ( in the past i got a lot of non single guys for some reason) i have stopped telling my parents negatives and talked about positives., i have seen my parents for who they are..they will never change and i must put myself first because they are selfish, flawed people. they are not like me. ( they are only capable of lending me $600 when i am about to lose everything).i stay away from envious, miserable people..there is nothing i can do about my ex boyfriend but all i can say..he was wrong..i did love him and he meant the world to me its just a shame he could not see or want to believe that i could love him....
so you see we all have our pain and bad luck ..i mean donald trump went bankrupt 3 times, john travolta lost his son, kylie minogue had cancer, jlo is single with 2 kids and a boy toy, and yet they are still considered successful..so what are we to do?? they have extraordinary lives..yours is filled with darkeness..so turn on the lights and stop crying...:
melisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think luck is just random. How to change your situation ???? IDK, people do just pack a bag of clothes, walk out the door and head off to another town/city/country. I don't have the nerve for such a thing yet...do u OP ?????
HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

It isn't bad luck. This may sound cliche as hell but it's actually your mentality. Become positive. Now this will likely be a major feat to accomplish and may take months if not years. But if you really want to change you have to start here. Good Luck.
HostileParadise is offline   Reply With Quote