Why am I bad at math, but good at...thinking? Ultimate anti-math/education thread - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why am I bad at math, but good at...thinking? Ultimate anti-math/education thread

Ya its long, but its worth it!!!!! Unless you read with numbers instead of letters.

Why do i suck at mathl. Im in a college algebra summer class, and i have like a C+ in it. As i sit through the 3 hour class, my mind is coming up with all of the reasons why i shouldnt be learning this,and all of the reasons why my professor is wrong.

For example, ill be thinking that the certain math i am learning is not the most efficient way of learning "true" math, which is just problem solving and recognizing patterns.

Seriously, the only thing ive ever learned in a math class past 4th grade, is how to plug in numbers into complex equations, equations which were created by other people, and needing to know how to remember what numbers go in what equation. Its so ****ing stupid. We arent learning how to solve problems, we are learning how to follow directions.

Then the following year, i forget everything i learn.

Damn, see, i got carried away. It seems to me that the math system is seriously flawed, and I know that numbers and equations arent the only form of expressing math.

Even as i write this im gaining more insight into what math could but isnt. hmm. What if math and art are one in the same? Art is just subconscious expression, yet math equations explain the art. So that means art is the subconscious expression of MATH!!! EUR- ****in -EKA!!----this idea is a math equation itself haha......WOW....haha i tried to think of an equation for this set of words but i cant, because i suck at math, i know there is one there though. Maybe someone can help.

Anyway........why am i bad at this math i am being taught? Why cant i succeed in these classes, like i can in sociology, or psychology? Why cant i get math insight, like i get sociological or psychological insight i use in papers to get A's? I know i use math in those papers, i just cant explain how.

Maybe its completely different for one of you. Maybe you are a math genius, but suck at art or writing. You cant be extremely good at both, thats fo sho.

I had a friend in high school, one of my only friends, who was incredible at math. He was in advanced calculus in 11th grade, stats in 12th....im in college and have yet to take statistics, he got through them with a 98 average.

.\Yet he couldnt write a paper,or form ideas or words at all. He would come to me, who never got an A on a math test, to help him with his writing. He literally wrote like a 3rd grader. "This is a house. The house is big. The house is brown...fact, fact , fact...etc."...Thats exactly how he wrote. We were both in AP English, and were usually partners when it came to projects. He was super organized, i am "organized" in my own way.

Im sure you get the idea...There is something wrong with education, obviously. Now i need you guys to reply so i can get more insight into this idea of learning and school...Multiple intelligences kinda stuff.

itd be so cool to write my senior thesis paper on this topic haha. Oh yea, and i dont write papers like i write in posts haha, my forum grammar is terrible.
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

if he was in ap english he couldnt be too bad in English. btw why do u have PMS disabled...i wanted to invite you to come t our meetups
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
if he was in ap english he couldnt be too bad in English. btw why do u have PMS disabled...i wanted to invite you to come t our meetups
Wait what??? meetups? my messaging is blocked???

We was really good grammatically.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know a book for you.
Mathematics for the Nonmathematician. Sounds dull? It's not.

I'm really glad that you've realized that you haven't been taught properly.

Don't just memorize the equations and rules. Ask why they're like that. And try to learn stuff for yourself.
Oh! And never forget to practice a lot. Trust me, you'll grow to enjoy it more.

I'm really passionate about this because when I was entering high school, the counselor basically told me that I'd never be in a normal math class. And now I'm studying calculus on my own, which isn't that wild, but it's something I'd never think I'd do.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

[edit]
Maybe its completely different for one of you. Maybe you are a math genius, but suck at art or writing. You cant be extremely good at both, thats fo sho.
---
That's what people told me. I was destined to only be good at language.

You can be good at both too. It just requires the right mindset.
WeiEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiEast View Post
I know a book for you.
Mathematics for the Nonmathematician. Sounds dull? It's not.

I'm really glad that you've realized that you haven't been taught properly.

Don't just memorize the equations and rules. Ask why they're like that. And try to learn stuff for yourself.
Oh! And never forget to practice a lot. Trust me, you'll grow to enjoy it more.

I'm really passionate about this because when I was entering high school, the counselor basically told me that I'd never be in a normal math class. And now I'm studying calculus on my own, which isn't that wild, but it's something I'd never think I'd do.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.
THANKS!

Thats freakin awesome, I ask, and my prof cant explain it because shes a dumb *****, so i try to figure it out myself.I usually just find my own way to do the problem, thats completely different from the crap shes teaching me.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Moonracer View Post
Wait what??? meetups? my messaging is blocked???

We was really good grammatically.
were not was lol....but if he was good gramatically he obviously was decent in english

i dont even see a pm king moonracer button? or a visitor message space? ur profile sucks it has no place to contact u.

i wanted to invite to hangout with us in nyc
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, go to the Khan Academy website then.

He's really good at helping you form intuition.

I really with I could start over and be 100% Khan educated rather than school educated and then self educated with a dull textbook.
WeiEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
were not was lol....but if he was good gramatically he obviously was decent in english

i dont even see a pm king moonracer button? or a visitor message space? ur profile sucks it has no place to contact u.

i wanted to invite to hangout with us in nyc
Oh, thats strange. People send me messages all the time...

i couldnt go to nyc anyway, i live like 6 hours away unfortunately. Close to the fantastic city of syracuse.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maths, like many things, is just a bunch of hacks on a simple concept. The simple concept being set theory, and the bunch of hacks being things like probability and so on.
Andrew1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

You think algebra is bad, try taking a course in nonlinear dynamics or game theory. Everything is purely theoretical and has zero practical applications in real life. Unless you are a handful of people alive today that can actually program useful software based on these concepts.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopitidontlikeit View Post
Maybe because most teachers don't give insight to the real life applications of math.

Bingo this applies to any field, program or department. With all my years of education, undergrad & grad school I discovered that "educators" are only interested in theoretical research and being published. If they had any ability to apply their knowledge they would be working in industries right now making 3 times their annual salary.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm at 9th grade Math level due to me being in all special ed math courses through High School and when I went we only had to take math up to 10th grade. I say 9th grade as special classes are a grade behind basically.

I failed the entry Math course in College, I didnt understand anything. Because of this after getting kicked out of one College I was unable to go to any others as they all require entry math and english courses. English i'm great at but Math I suck at.

At least your getting a C and not an F.
keithp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
I'm at 9th grade Math level due to me being in all special ed math courses through High School and when I went we only had to take math up to 10th grade. I say 9th grade as special classes are a grade behind basically.

I failed the entry Math course in College, I didnt understand anything. Because of this after getting kicked out of one College I was unable to go to any others as they all require entry math and english courses. English i'm great at but Math I suck at.

At least your getting a C and not an F.
I actually failed the college math test too, and i got like a 19 on my act haha. But then i took this math course over the summer going into my freshman year. It was at 8:30 in the morning and i got a B+ in the class. It was the professor, he was really geeky. He talked to us about video games alot, and had a true passion for math. And for the first time in my life, i was really truly good at math...it was crazy.