X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is average price for psychiatrist visit?

Thinking about getting some medication.My anxiety and panic attakcs just skyrocked after losing my friends and breaking up with my girlfriend. It has never been so bad before,can't even concentrate on homework. And I'm pretty broke at the moment.
P.s not sure if this is the right section, if it's not, move it to the right one.Thanks
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hard to say. They might want to see you multiple times to simply diagnose you at the start.

Realistically, any doc will start you on SSRIs so might as well just go to a GP that has mastered the ability to do that all in under 5 minutes.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you from? In Australia they have free mental health clinics where you can see one for free. I have seen a private one and for that 'privilege' it cost me $150 a half hour and that was with a student discount.
starblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Look at your local universities and see if they have anything. One in my area has "Trauma and Anxiety Clinic" where they use a sliding scale based on your income. I'm trying to get up the nerve to go there for treatment. I believe they use behavioral therapy though, not meds.

For meds, a regular general doctor would probably work. I got an anti-anxiety med from my doctor a few years ago.
JEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

well that sucks, seems like I will have to spent over 1k to get some SSRIs, was hoping to be around $100 and one time. Yes I live in USA, and my college doesn't have psychologists or anything like that, and I also got no insurance.
Thanks for helpful replies.
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

For mine, I had to pay $300 for inital evaluation by a therapist, then another $300 for the psychitrist 2 weeks after.

Visits are $55

They wanted to see me every 2 weeks or so after I was prescribed meds when I first started. Now, they want to see me on a monthly basis, but I can't afford it, so I've spoke to them about it and go every 2 months. It's extremely expensive, and I spend $80/month on meds.

I wasted $120 visiting a general doctor, he basically told me to visit a psych. and also get tested for thyriod.

Creed-Six Feet From the Edge

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking...
Maybe six feet ain't so far down...

http://www.anxiety-disorders.ws
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I payed 180 dollars for first visit and 135 for follow ups. at thirty mintues.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polythene View Post
If all you want is an SSRI and you're in a really tight financial situation, I'm sure you could even get this prescribed at a free clinic...
Excellent idea. They may even have free med samples.

As for your mention of MAOIs, my GP wanted to try me on Nardil 6 years ago. I asked him how many MAOI patients he'd ever had. His answer was zero, a number that fails to inspire confidence. And I don't think he would have wanted to touch an MAOI if not for having a psychiatrist/neurologist friend who'd advise him on using it. It was that friend of his who referred me to this GP after I completed a clinical trial at a clinic run by this psychiatrist/neurologist.

Quote:
The meds themselves can be costly, but most popular SSRIs are available in generic AND you may be able to fill your script for $4 at either Wal-Mart or Target
I believe Celexa, Paxil, and Prozac generics are all part of that $4 a month program (or $10 for 90 days). Dirt cheap if you want any of those SSRIs.

My own prescription costs are $33 a month for generic Xanax at a sky high dosage of 300 mg per month, an amount that no GP would dare to touch. Just picked up my dextroamphetamine 10 mg x 120 pills for $40 yesterday, another drug no GP would dare to touch for my issue of treatment resistant depression.

My GP who I refer to as Dr. Dumbass (not to his face) had an obsession with giving me antipsychotics & mood stabilizers, even though he fully acknowledges that I'm not bipolar. In fact, I rather doubt you could find anyone further removed from mania than me. He'd like to throw the entire pharmacy at me, minus any controlled drugs.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote