X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unhappiness vs Depression

Are you depressed, or are you just unhappy with your life?

Today we've practically forgotten the meaning of unhappiness as we use depression as a catch-all for our all negative mental states. But unhappiness is neither a temporary emotion when you drop your ice-cream cone (sadness) nor a clinical medical condition that requires medical attention (depression)

It is simply a deep dissatisfaction with your life, because you know that you can do better,
shoyru007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm simply depressed because no matter how hard you try, you still can't break out of it.

Un happiness is knowing that there is something wrong, depression is when you realize there's nothing you can do about it.
Hate your next door neighbor
but don't forget to say grace
And you tell me over and over and over again
my friend
ah you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction
TheFather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
It is simply a deep dissatisfaction with your life, because you know that you can do better,
Thats nice that you know that. So you can do better.

It is possible to be deeply dissatisfied with your life or even deeply unhappy without being depressed. That does not mean that the majority of people who have depression are simply dissatisfied with their lives and should simply 'do better' to recover. You are welcome to define your own condition that way. Not others'.

To answer your question, personally I am both clinically depressed and deeply dissatisfied with my life. The organic (and situational) depression is a major obstacle to 'doing better' and building a life I will be satisfied with, although of course I am trying.
Isabelle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, depression is like a broken leg. It needs medical attention and it's not your fault that you can't walk.

Unhappiness is much harder to cure. It requires that you actually make your life worth feeling good about. If you spend your life running from your fears and trolling the internet, never creating anything, never meeting anyone, and never daring to improve yourself as a person, of course you will be unhappy.

It's like having two perfectly good legs but making excuses about having the wrong size shoes to avoid stepping out of your comfort zone. Happiness and satisfaction are not birthrights, and you can never fool yourself. If you choose to never try, then you of all people will despise yourself for it.
shoyru007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

my inner demons are my reason for being depressed not the state of my life
no matter how good my life gets my demons always haunt me
they never really go away
gold and bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, depression is like a broken leg. It needs medical attention and it's not your fault that you can't walk.

Unhappiness is much harder to cure. It requires that you actually make your life worth feeling good about. If you spend your life running from your fears and trolling the internet, never creating anything, never meeting anyone, and never daring to improve yourself as a person, of course you will be unhappy.

It's like having two perfectly good legs but making excuses about having the wrong size shoes to avoid stepping out of your comfort zone. Happiness and satisfaction are not birthrights, and you can never fool yourself. If you choose to never try, then you of all people will despise yourself for it.
I might cross-post this to my depression forum if you don't mind... What a completely clear-headed view. I agree wholeheartedly.
Isabelle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepen View Post
Im probably clinically depressed, I don't know to what degree though.
Me too.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyru007 View Post
Are you depressed, or are you just unhappy with your life?

Today we've practically forgotten the meaning of unhappiness as we use depression as a catch-all for our all negative mental states. But unhappiness is neither a temporary emotion when you drop your ice-cream cone (sadness) nor a clinical medical condition that requires medical attention (depression)

Both I could have done better in life but I've made bad choices. People can be unhappy for many things, and with me I know it's depression since I can feel it inside of me. If I was just unhappy i'd have the motivation to do things, but with depression I don't have the drive to do anything. I can differentiate the two. When you're unhappy you don't burn out so easily and are able to listen.
krogan6590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Now I'm going to recommend this talk by Robert Sapolsky (before enfield does, haha):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

I could write a summary, but that would seriously downplay the presentation, so it's better to watch it if you're interested