X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default TIME is passing by way too fast!

Does it seem to you like time doesn't give you a break? Sometimes it seems to me like only 10 minutes have gone by when in reality 3 HOURS have passed by and then I feel like i haven't accomplished nothing or very little . This is why I hate wearing watches in my wrist , I swear one of these days inm going to buy one of those Whatever wall clocks in hopes of mocking time at least metaphorically so. What concept of time do you have, is too slow , too fast or just about right for you ? do you hate to be reminded that the day its almost over and nothing really important is going on?

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

For a long time I've felt like time is my enemy. Often times I'll stay up late because I feel like it's a shame that another day has gone by and I haven't done much.

Something that produces depression and anxiety for me is seeing that the year is almost 3/4 over.
Lonely Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socially Anxious View Post
For a long time I've felt like time is my enemy. Often times I'll stay up late because I feel like it's a shame that another day has gone by and I haven't done much.

Something that produces depression and anxiety for me is seeing that the year is almost 3/4 over.
I feel the exact same way. Time devours my life and yet I squander it all on minutiae and feel powerless to stop it. The notion that I will never be 10, 15, 20 years old again tortures me daily.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

My time goes ever so slowly. My days are spent waiting for me to get sleepy enough to go to bed.

Then I think about the last 5 years of my life. 18-23, what many people consider the best years of their life. Mine have been wasted in front of this computer screen doing nothing of any consequence whatsoever. I wonder why, and I can never find the reason.

I wonder what a man serving life in prison would say to me if I told him how I've spent the past 5 years. Would he have accomplished more than I, a free man, with unlimited possibilities have? I think it's likely.
2shyforwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feel the same way. Feel I have no time for anything and am overwhelmed

Was actually just thinking of making a frustration topic about this. Don't feel like going into all my thoughts atm tho.
slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

hey yeah....I totally know the feeling! That there just isn't enough time in a day to do everything! It's weird...I can spend hours just thinking/being worried (not doing anything productive)....and it can feel like only a short time in the end sometimes.

It's just....days go by so, so fast. I feel like all I do is wake up...exercise....cook...clean.....little bit of computer time.....work.....and then the little time I have aside from the "have to's"...I just don't get anything done, like figuring out the next step (I've just graduated college in May....4 months ago already! and still have yet to figure that out )

so yes...time is very frustrating indeed!

----Oscar Wilde
FlickeringHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom

OMG! I love that clock! I feel the same way about time. In fact, I don't even know what time is anymore. An hour is practically nothing to me these days. Three hours go by like nothing, literally. Having OCD doesn't help with this matter either! I have a big round clock in my bathroom and when I am sitting on the toilet, I can see that clock in the mirror ticking backwards...kind of a trip.

Anyway, myhalo123, I like the way you put it. It's almost as if you can write an equation for it.
And speak my point of view,
But it's not sane, it's not sane.

- Blind Melon
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Time seems to be very fast from my perspective, typically. I think this happens for a number of reasons:

- We get into certain routines and much of what we are doing becomes almost automatic, and we don't experience the present moment with as much awareness as if it were a unique experience to remember. A lot of chores and essential things we have to do routinely can feel like empty time, so to speak.

- Distractions to occupy our time. Internet, phones, television, etc... all distracting and easy to get caught up in, so time seems to pass more quickly. Easy to forget about what time it is or how much time is passing.

- I think there is also an illusion when one looks back on something in the past to compare the passage of time to the present. If you're not doing something really strenuous or that takes an extreme level of focus it's quite easy to forget much of the experience. Yet if someone asked you to go do extremely difficult labor for an hour that you have to concentrate on, time would probably seem to slow down quite a bit for that hour. Also, because certain memories can remain so vivid and fresh in our mind of a certain point in time, it's easy to look back on that moment as if it just happened thus making it seem like time passed by very quickly as well.

I think all of those factors can contribute toward our perception of how fast time is passing.
Dreamscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do believe, that the reason behind my memory problems, is that time passes as fast as it does. I blink, and it is a week later, and I have no memory of the week before.
Ignore the pain
Love and learn
Forget and forgive
Because remember you
Have only one life
To live
Manic Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

i know and even though i'm not doing anything practical most of the time it still flies by. a week goes by so fast and i haven't done anything productive in seeking for work and improving myself. i've wasted so much time and i don't want to waste anymore. i really need to get my act together.
mysterioussoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
- We get into certain routines and much of what we are doing becomes almost automatic, and we don't experience the present moment with as much awareness as if it were a unique experience to remember. A lot of chores and essential things we have to do routinely can feel like empty time, so to speak.

- Distractions to occupy our time. Internet, phones, television, etc... all distracting and easy to get caught up in, so time seems to pass more quickly. Easy to forget about what time it is or how much time is passing.

You're dead-on. When I moved home for the summer, time was nice and slow at first. Once I settled into a routine, going thru the motions, the days just blurred together and it was over before I knew it.
ShadowArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

time to me does fly by very quickly i am nostalgic and regularly use the internet to look for old tv shows i used to watch as a kid on youtube.Also listen to the song time by the alan parsons project its great and sums up time flowing like a river untill its gone forever to the sea.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/v/nvwrSdMY7dQ
Haiku McEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

r u sociually isoalted? ! this is y!
straightarrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah I also cant remember anything time just moves so quickly ! i remember when i was younger an i could feeel the day go by slowly an i miss that i remember how it felt for the day to feel so long an i had no concept of time then but an hour seemed like days , at that time i didnt like it but now i miss it ....the day goes by so quick now an before i can even try to work up the energy to even enjoy the day...its night, it happens everyday
"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
kid a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi,

I wanted to revive this topic, since I feel the same way about time. My God, look at the thread date, 2010 :-(

Whenever I look back, or think of the year we are in, it causes me grief. Like something lost don't I'll never get back again. I think I might even be obsessed with this. On some level, I think I am blaming myself.

Could it be that people who worry constantly, or are stressed feel the effects of time passing more?

On one aspect, for the suffering from depression for example, time might seem like its going slowly. You might spend weeks, or months depressed or stressed over something. But when the depression/worries/stress come to an end, you realise that actually years have past. So even though in your turmoil things might seem slow, in reality, time has passed for the world.

So time passes slow for the individual, yet when comparing it with the calendar time that has passed it seems quick, because our inner time seems out of sync with the the calendar time.

Which brings me to my frustration, if only I hadn't been depressed, worried constantly I would have been more in synch with the actual calendar time, and I wouldn't be worrying where the time went.

Am I right? Hopefully I am wrong. Maybe even the happiest of people who have never suffered from depression or constant worry, feel the same way. If so, there is nothing that could have been done.
MikeGreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

Yes, time does go too fast. I'm three years away from being 40, halfway from death I wish we had longer lives, 200 years or so, and that the body didnt' require sleep. Imagine how much more time we would have if we didnt' need sleep.

Countdown to Christmas!!
http://www.xmasclock.com/
nubly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

I been feeling like this a lot lately. I use to not waste it so much.
NicholasLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Indeed it does seem like that to me everyday as I hope that in a few weeks or so my irritable bowel will seem less irritable with probiotics, and my bladder will finally calm the heck down and stop waking me up every darn morning. At least that is my hope, and in the mean time I sit here in front of a computer as my only means of entertainment as the days tick on by.

Time is a flying by, lives that could have been. women I could have met and loved, and friends I never will know know all lost to the blurred timeways that are behind me like dust stirred up from a car on the highway traveling at high speeds. Run on sentence I know, but it is my heart, listen to it, it will tell you what you need to know.
Quietlittlemaninabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

I still find it distressing that Time is one-way.
MuyTriste is offline   Reply With Quote