X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Therapy is pointless

Okay, well therapy is not always pointless because some people do improve. Me however, I don't improve and I've been going to therapy since I was 13. I kept on switching therapists. They don't care about my problems. All they want is my money. I have barely realized that when my therapist did not want me to stop coming. She's been telling me that I've been making so much progress which I kind of haven't. I'd rather live in misery than give all my money away because I am broke. Last session, she made me pay $155. I could have spent better things with that amount of money. No duh.
Farideh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

it's true. I accepted this a while ago. It seems like a lot of mental health professionals are only in it for the money. Especially CBT.... it's such a pile of bullcrap. Exposing myself to social situations does absolutely nothing for my anxiety. Therapy can be useful for venting, but that's about it IMO.
Twelve Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree it seems like the only difference between a therapist (if they are good that is)and someone random is that they will not interrupt you while you are talking, they will less often take a judgemental stance on what you are saying and they usually will not insult you. They also won’t just take everything your saying as an opportunity to change the subject and start talking about themselves as most people in regular life do. It’s kind of ironic that huge sums of money have to be involved just to be able to sit down with another human being and feel heard.

But as you watch them constantly check the time to make sure it isn’t one second over an hour and how despite without intending to they do still manage to throw out subtle judgements on your life. I am always left with the feeling of wonder does this person actually care? or has he/she just mastered the art of acting empathetic.
wanderinginwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkloveaffair View Post

But as you watch them constantly check the time to make sure it isnít one second over an hour and how despite without intending to they do still manage to throw out subtle judgements on your life. I am always left with the feeling of wonder does this person actually care? or has he/she just mastered the art of acting empathetic.
I feel the same exact way whenever I talk with my therapist. I want to become a therapist in the future and I hope most therapists actually care about their clients and aren't just there for money.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not surprised, too bad it took so long to realize.
RaisedOnBadPuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

shes sees the light !!!!!

cute profile pic
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

what are you going to do in its place?
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hobo Scratch MD View Post
shes sees the light !!!!!

cute profile pic
Why thankyou sir.
Farideh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

i have felt often that therapy goes in circles and doesn't get anywhere but there have been a few occasions when something important happened...i always prefer social workers as therapists because they can actually do things in the real world...paying for therapy always feels bad though - it can feel like paying just to get to talk to someone...mostly though i go through insurance so that's ok...
solagratia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

I didn't enjoy Therapy, I did find it pointless.

But I don't think it is pointless for everyone. Some people just need a friend and someone to talk to which can really help them, showing they are not alone.
Rubikcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

My therapy was paid for by Medicaid, and funding was poor at the clinic, so my therapist DID end up being glad to see me leave--by forcing me out of therapy. Granted, it wasn't helping anyway, it was just chattering and smalltalk about random stuff I'd been up to; she'd given up suggesting things for me to do to improve since when I tried them, they didn't work, and when I complained about that, she figured that meant I just wasn't trying. (I'm the type who will often complain about something but then do it once I'm done venting...guess she didn't understand that.)

It just really hurt because I felt I'd connected with her, but as soon as funding was cut it was like the true colors came out and I feel so foolish that I was so gullible to think a therapist actually cared. That I believed her compliments and took them to heart so readily because I really wanted some affirmations from another, but apparently they meant nothing since she can cut ties so easily and make me feel lousy doing so. That when she'd tried to convince me to not feel guilty taking up her time, I tried to believe her, only for her to do a 180 several years later and pretty much rub it in how others have problems much worse than mine and I should be happy I'm so "well off," what do I have to be depressed about?

So--completely different route of getting to what was essentially the same conclusion--therapy was pointless!

None of my money wasted, but this was yet ANOTHER letdown, by my own therapist no less, so I just feel even worse about myself now. (And yeah--when I tried to honestly express to her my feelings on this, she turned that on me too, saying she couldn't keep suggesting methods of treatment to me if I was just going to feel worse!) When your therapist basically tells you to get over it then there's little point in trying that method again.

I'm really demotivated now. I might not be making progress with my anxiety but it's sure felt better venting on this forum than it felt going to those pointless "sessions." Toward the end I was dreading my appointment days, and I actually cancelled out on the last one and told them to just send me the paperwork to close my case, which so far I've been too anxious to send back in. That's definitely not a good sign.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

I'm a go-getter! I go and get it. Then I bring it back!

"Don't overthink the metaphor, Cartwright!"
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was extremely lucky in that I got a therapist who didn't care about the money. I've gotten free sessions off him (he paid for them himself), he was there when I went to the police (even though he didn't have to) and he's done more than try and make me come back next week.
I've made progress with therapy.
Alas Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Frog View Post
I was extremely lucky in that I got a therapist who didn't care about the money. I've gotten free sessions off him (he paid for them himself), he was there when I went to the police (even though he didn't have to) and he's done more than try and make me come back next week.
I've made progress with therapy.
It's so hard to believe sometimes that therapists like this exist. I do wish there were more of them. I'm glad you managed to find one!

I feel fairly certain my former therapist wouldn't care much if I were to end up dead, seeing as I mentioned such thoughts to her but was kicked out anyway. :/

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

I'm a go-getter! I go and get it. Then I bring it back!

"Don't overthink the metaphor, Cartwright!"
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

My current therapist is great, we come up with a lot of ideas together. I've been going for years though, it wasn't really much help until I really started giving it all my effort. I took up meditating and am pretty well read in psychology. I bring my insights and ideas in every week. Now we're really starting to get at the heart of matters. To me therapy is about curing yourself with the help and guidance of the therapist. A year ago i would have said therapy is pretty much useless, but now I'm actually making progress. Plus they've finally gotten my complex diagnosis right.

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got lucky with my therapist, a barefoot hippie who was amazing. He couldn't really help me, but I still liked him.
Laughing Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma M View Post
She's been telling me that I've been making so much progress which I kind of haven't.
Ask her to lead some sort of action plan which will help you get better i.e. exposure techniques, going out to places you want to visit, staying in a public library and reading or something.

you could always take a break from therapy and do this yourself with the money you save, for a while

If your therapist can't lead the discussion and what goals/targets would be suitable for you right now, then that's not good enough for the money