X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
dax

Default The benefit of having nothing to live for

You no longer fear death. I've lost my fear of dying. Dying would be like getting your license renewed at the DMV or something. Just another one of those procedural processes that everyone goes through. No emotion in it. If you have nothing or no one left to lose, and no hope for the future, then life doesn't so much matter anymore. What does it matter if I'm dead instead of sitting here and watching TV or listening to music? Is that even really being alive? Or is it merely temporarily distracted? Can someone be un-alive but not dead? What is the difference between being dead and this pretend life, really? As it is now, I'm (we're) nothing but the living dead. The living, waking, walking dead. Personality-less and devoid of the humanness that makes one something other than 'alive by default' as someone else called it. I'm starting to learn nothing really matters anymore. Like in the Weezer song 'another loss in a losing life doesn't matter so much anymore.' I think this will be my new battle cry. It's so simple and so true: Nothing matters.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thread of the year. 5 *****.
drealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you have nothing to lose, then why not try doing something that scares the **** out of you? Go do something that you've always wanted to do, but never did. What do you have to lose? After death, there's a good chance that there's nothing; non-existence. So, why not try and make the best of it right here right now? I know you are probably going to take this comment with a grain of salt, but I hope you really think about it.
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree completely. Strangely, this philosophy feels positive to me and makes everything feel all right. This thread also gave me the courage to flirt with a girl that I've been wanting to flirt with. I mean, why not right?
hiimnotcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganizedChaos View Post
If you have nothing to lose, then why not try doing something that scares the **** out of you? Go do something that you've always wanted to do, but never did. What do you have to lose? After death, there's a good chance that there's nothing; non-existence. So, why not try and make the best of it right here right now? I know you are probably going to take this comment with a grain of salt, but I hope you really think about it.
I guess because there isn't anything I want to try doing- what I want is just to live a normal life like a normal person, not the mess that I am. Skydiving or surfing or whatever won't do it for me. It's not like I'm just bored. I'm just a vacant person. It's hard to explain. I wish it was as simple as going skydiving or cliff diving or something like that to get a kick. But it's not.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
CWe

I like this post!

Ask me some Questions!
Click here
CWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I... Read this through several times and I still don't know how I feel about it.
I lack hope, but I have lots of ambition. I suppose, optimistic nihilism, is the best way to put it. Nothing motivates me but I still aspire to do what I wish.
Saekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
I guess because there isn't anything I want to try doing- what I want is just to live a normal life like a normal person, not the mess that I am. Skydiving or surfing or whatever won't do it for me. It's not like I'm just bored. I'm just a vacant person. It's hard to explain. I wish it was as simple as going skydiving or cliff diving or something like that to get a kick. But it's not.
Quit being a p-ssy and get back to the vitriol you started with in the original post -- clearly I'm not the only one who found it strangely empowering! Why the f-ck would you want a normal life? To hell with that. F-cking drones. God, I'm sick of being made to feel as though I'm somehow less entitled than all of the contented imbeciles populating the space around me. I don't give a sh-t about any of the useless dreck they hold sacred, so they better get the f-ck out of my way before I trample them on my reckless sprint into hell.

P.S. Sorry for calling you a p-ssy; it was purely for dramatic effect.
No Surprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
Why the f-ck would you want a normal life? To hell with that. F-cking drones.
Yay! Someone else that doesn't want / care about a normal life!
Saekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

my mentality has been similar to this- for anything i worried about too much i would just think the simple phrase '**** it'. that became my motto. i should rely on that more often. i almost forgot about it too
mcmuffinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I definitely feel like this too. Sometimes it's a good feeling. I feel like some sort of enlightened hippy who can see the ultimate truth. It's freedom in it's rawest form. Other times it's an absolute burden: I feel like a waste of space and I wish I just had a "normal" psyche, life and a gorgeous woman by my side.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
He didn't say anything about skydiving or cliff diving. He said to do something that scares you. Which in your case might mean doing some of those "normal" things that you don't feel you're able to do. You just said you want to "live a normal life like a normal person," after all. So, take this fearlessness you're talking about and recklessly pursue normality.
anonymid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
If something helps and makes you feel more positive about things, fine. It's all good.

But you do need to be careful not to get mixed up in something I've dubbed "false prophet syndrome": the idea that you somehow know or have realised "the ultimate truth of life". You may very well have discovered one of the ultimate truths of your own life. You have authority there as it is your life. But as for life in general...erm...quite possibly not.

Things matter, people matter. It's partly because we die that things matter. Nobody has the right to tell you how to view your own life or what you can use to empower you. But none of us are overlords of reality.

The idea that you have nothing to live for is, quite possibly, an idea you are entertaining. It may well not be the truth.

I'm fond of a phrase: "however old I get, I'm still a child looking at the wonder of it all". That's pretty much it for me. Like I said, you are in charge of your life. Just not necessarily in charge of the nature of life in general.
Well said!
anonymid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

This reminds me of that one episode of coldcase where this girl said our bodies are the shells for our souls. I'm not afraid to die, I'm just afraid of feeling pain before I die.

organicwildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
Quit being a p-ssy and get back to the vitriol you started with in the original post -- clearly I'm not the only one who found it strangely empowering! Why the f-ck would you want a normal life? To hell with that. F-cking drones. God, I'm sick of being made to feel as though I'm somehow less entitled than all of the contented imbeciles populating the space around me. I don't give a sh-t about any of the useless dreck they hold sacred, so they better get the f-ck out of my way before I trample them on my reckless sprint into hell.

P.S. Sorry for calling you a p-ssy; it was purely for dramatic effect.
You mean you find it empowering in an "only once you've lost everything are you free to do anything" kind of way? I see it more as a curse- I see it as once you have lost so much you no longer fear death because you are already dead- and there is nothing else you could in theory do to change that. If that makes sense at all. I for one want a normal life- I want to be contented- I want to feel something again. That's why I don't fear death, because I have nothing at all to lose. I exist for the sake of existing, "by default", and only because the choice was previously made for me that I should exist, not because I actually live for anything. I've found there is nothing left to live for.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunus View Post
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
I don't care for my life anymore. If I died tomorrow...Good.
Ouch ;/
Don't say that!
Zomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganizedChaos View Post
If you have nothing to lose, then why not try doing something that scares the **** out of you? Go do something that you've always wanted to do, but never did. What do you have to lose?
Because death isn't the only possible outcome from doing something that scares you. With physically risky things, there's the possibility of serious injury and pain, maybe ending up paralyzed for the rest of your life. With socially risky things, there's the humiliation factor. Those things, IMHO, are worse than death.

If I could be guaranteed that something only had two outcomes - success or a quick and painless death - then yeah, I would just go for it.
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Sometimes I fool myself into thinking that I have a purpose here, that I have a reason to live. But what I've realized is that, like you said, nothing matters. Nothing at all. I know for certain that I will never live a happy and normal life. I think about the future and all it holds and I see nothing that would make all the misery and anxiety and depression worth it. So I don't fear death either however I do fear the actual act of dying. I just hope I get shot or die in my sleep or have some other quick and painless death.

Half_A_Person is offline   Reply With Quote