X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default teachers

I so much hate the teachers in my school, i just.. i wanna stamp on them, whatever!!!!!!!!
How come those morons don't understand, that some people have social anxiety and aren't comfortable in talking?
A teacher asked me to read, but when I have to read, I start to breath abnormally and in the end - I can't breath at all. And then, when I said, I can't read, the teacher said : ''why are you acting so weirdly? looks like i can't give you anything but a bad mark" and everybody laughed. I also lose my voice and start coughing, when I have to talk and the teachers (who are supposed to know about phsycology, and problems to students might have) just laugh at you and ask 'what the heck is wrong with u' they dont even fkin care! I tried to explain once, to a (male) teacher, that I might have social anxiety. He said: 'sure, and im superman. you're only trying to save your note is time, aren't you?'

Also, my mother says, that she completely understands me.
I asked her, "how? have you been in the same situation before?"
"well, no, but its just puberty. it goes away"
(funny thing is, my SA started before puberty)
then i replied: "were you in puberty in the same situation? were you afraid of phone calls, talking, going to shops?"
"no, but your problem is not big. i mean, just go in front of class and speak. its no big deal"
yes mum, you so understand me... (yeah right!)
and she even said she has heard about social anxiety
stephanie-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: f**c*** teachers

Sorry for all the *beep* words.
Oh, whats even better, is that every class we have(!) to change partners so I can never sit alone. Everybody always bullies me. Bad.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: teachers

Go to a guidance counselor or the dean or somebody and complain about those a-holes! Tell them exactly what the teachers have told you and how terrible they've made you feel. It could make a difference if somebody could pull them aside.

A lot of teachers don't understand SA, though I'm surprised that your psych teacher wouldn't recognize it and be more sensitive. I haven't had teachers be as mean to me as your have, but I've had teachers in high school who would put me on the spot on purpose, and ask me why I never talk and tease me about being quiet, while the entire class stares. Even some of my classmates found this insensitive, but most just found it amusing.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure what it's like in other places in the world but the public school teachers in florida are horrible. I will never send my child to public school, even if I have to work 3 jobs. I know it was impossible for me to have this perspective when I was in school but believe it or not there are a lot of loser teachers out there. Here they get paid next to nothing so there is no reason for smart, successful people to become teachers now. I had a german teacher that was very mean to me. this old lady who had a few jocks in her class and she probably got some sick satisfation of getting these guys approval and my whole corner used to get picked on, with her at the lead. Of course I stayed for 3 years b/c obviously it was something wrong with me, not her. Screw that noise. Don't let that stuff sink in any more than it has. The more that sinks in the harder it is to let it go. Going to the guidance counselor may be a good idea also. Find someone on your side.
bigchris407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie-s
I so much hate the teachers in my school, i just.. i wanna stamp on them, whatever!!!!!!!!
How come those morons don't understand, that some people have social anxiety and aren't comfortable in talking?
A teacher asked me to read, but when I have to read, I start to breath abnormally and in the end - I can't breath at all. And then, when I said, I can't read, the teacher said : ''why are you acting so weirdly? looks like i can't give you anything but a bad mark" and everybody laughed. I also lose my voice and start coughing, when I have to talk and the teachers (who are supposed to know about phsycology, and problems to students might have) just laugh at you and ask 'what the heck is wrong with u' they dont even fkin care! I tried to explain once, to a (male) teacher, that I might have social anxiety. He said: 'sure, and im superman. you're only trying to save your note is time, aren't you?'

Also, my mother says, that she completely understands me.
I asked her, "how? have you been in the same situation before?"
"well, no, but its just puberty. it goes away"
(funny thing is, my SA started before puberty)
then i replied: "were you in puberty in the same situation? were you afraid of phone calls, talking, going to shops?"
"no, but your problem is not big. i mean, just go in front of class and speak. its no big deal"
yes mum, you so understand me... (yeah right!)
and she even said she has heard about social anxiety
Hey there steph :}, i can relate to you exactly, allways didnt wanted to speak when teachers approached me.. but did it any ways to avoid the embarassment.. maybe you should notify the school board so the teachers would cut you some slack..
Rygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes I agree. It is ridicoulas. What is the point of teachers trying to force you to read or talk when you do not wish so. None of them understand anything about social anxiety, even my psychology teacher is clueless, and she is a frickin psychologist!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your post pisses me off. I can't believe teachers STILL aren't getting educated about students with anxiety disorders. Seriously, something needs to be done about this. They shouldn't be teachers if they're going to treat their students so negatively. I understand they have stress dealing with all the kids, but that's THEIR problem. They can't snap at the kids, and take it out on them, everytime one little thing goes wrong. It's unprofessional and destructive. I'm taking community college classes, and there's no way an instructor would ever get away with such behavior. High/Middle school teachers get away with it though. I'm thinking that's probably because minors are less likely to be listened to and taken seriously, which is totally unjust. You should report your teachers to the board or some higher authority (or have your mom do it if you can't because of SA). Also ask for accommidations for situations that are too tough. They most likely accomodate kids with learning disorders, so they should be able to accomodate you too.
January 1991-February 19, 2007
lyssado707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Most teachers, I'll say 75% of them, are overpaid, pieces of thrash who take perverse pleasure in degrading a kid. The only reason they get into the profession is because they get 3 paid months off in the summer. The fact is, society has treated these windbags with undeserving reverence for too long!

Why I am so anti- teacher? Because they played a big part in how I am today. I have low self esteem, no social skills, no friends and I constantly worry. When I was in school, the teachers I had would look the other way when other kids mercilessly teased me, destroying my still developing self esteem. Not one teacher I had through twelve years of school attempted to stop it!

I remember two teachers in particular. The first one was named Mr. Kibby, a shop teacher I had in 7th grade. One day, I didn't do a project right or something. So, Mr. Kibby decided that the best way for me to learn from my mistake was to humiliate me in front of the class. He had me remove my shoes, place them on his desk, and had me walk around for the remainder of class in my socks, while Kibby made wisecracks about my shoe odor. My classmates thought my humiliation was hilarious as did that piece of crap Kibby. Who cared if I step on nail or something as long as the class thought that Mr. Kibby was cool!

The second teacher was an art teacher in 8th grade named Ms. Mattern. During one of her classes, I had a classmate, Matt Jensen, ask me a question that no matter how you answered it, you were trapped. The question he asked was whether I was a virgin. Now, you would think that Ms. Mattern, who heard him ask the question, would have done something to stop or deflect attention from a question like that. But she didn't. I remember looking at her and she was staring at me wanting to hear my answer! She was interested in the sex life of a 13 year old! How damn degrading!

Teachers are not interested in learning about disorders such as social phobia. They only care about their overinflated paychecks arriving on time and planning their summer vacations. They don't care about their students. Most of them go out of there way to destroy a student's hopes and dreams. Next to pro athletes, entertainers and lawyers, the teaching profession is the fourth most overpaid occupation in this country.

If I were the poster that originally created this topic, I would go straight to the school board and ask that the teacher be fired immediately. If not, some disciplinary actions should be administered to the teacher, but then that might not be possible depending on the amount of influence the teachers union has.

Sorry, Stephanie-S . I didn't mean to go a rant about teachers and try to change the subject. I got a bit carried away.
Jamie is friendless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

When I was at school every single report from every teacher had written on it "doesn't contribute to class discussions".

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
march_hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree most teachers SUCK! there are a few small exceptions. I once complained to my guidance counselor, thankfully she seemed to be the only person in school aware of SA, she was more than understanding and had a good talk with most of my teachers.

Eventually things got so bad to the point that just getting off the bus in the morning made me have a panic attack so I became homeschooled which was the best thing that could have ever happened to me and I strongly reccommend it to anyone who hates school (especially HS) as much as I did.

Things became a little easier in college, where at least they didnt make us read out loud. But there is always the first day intros that I dread. I got out of most of them by arriving late or just missing the first day all together.

Once in college, I told a professor about my SA and the son of a B had the never to say "Yeah right I tried using that excuse too, there's no way you're getting out of my presentations so I suggest you take your little excuses to someone else" Well I went straight to the dean with his little immature comment and she had a nice little chat with him right in front of me and my dad (its always nice to have someone with you who has your back.. thx dad!) The look on this guys face was beat red. That'll teach him to never mess with another SAer again.
lissa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

What is wrong with these teachers! Just reading these posts is bringing back bad memories for me too. I feel your pain stephanie. I think if I look back, it was mainly teachers who contributed to my SA. I had one teacher in 10th grade who just LOVED humuliating me; he knew I hated to read and participate and called on me almost every class. I would come home crying every night to my mom, and finally she called to complain. After that he sort of chilled, but he only really stopped when, in 12th grade when I had him again, I pulled him aside after class and told him that what he did really bothered and upset me, and then he did pretty much stop. Obviously thats not working for you, Stephanie, bc your teacher is an insensitive ahole, but you definitely need to bring it to some higher authority's attention. You shouldnt have to suffer anymore.
moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the answers I read them and now I know that teachers can be really-really mean . They use weak students to make fun of. As i read from jamie is friendless post, teacher even use teasing to look good in other students eyes. Thats just sick :S .
lissa101, I think when my teachers wont stop being jerks, then Ill probably become homeschooled too. How is it like? Please PM about the homeschooling.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

ARGG yes that post pisses me off too. How can damn grownups be so inconsiderate!? They cant even understand. They dont seem to make an effort either. They just humor you. my god im pissed..
Old 02-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Re: teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie-s
Keep in mind what teachers do: they stand in front of a class & talk. That's the basic function of the job, so clearly it's something they're comfortable with. The concept of someone not being confortable with it might seem totally foreign to them when they do it all the time without a problem.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Actually a lot of teachers aren't entirely comfortable lecturing in front of a class and do understand the discomfiture that comes with public speaking.
Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

one of my teachers would see how red he could get my face to turn daily..
Old 02-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

It's really odd but I trained to be a teacher. I mean I can't talk to women, strangers or even my mates most of the time, but I could teach just because I had confidence in my knowledge of the subject and had a genuine desire to help people. I did really well with the special needs and low ability students, it was the cocky, confident ones that made me quit in the end. I can understand why people dislike teachers but it's a hell of a job and I don't envy those people doing it, many of those I spoke to wanted to quit ASAP.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Go to a guidance counselor and explain to them about your SA. Ask for accommodations such as "the teacher cant ask you to read in class, cant single you out, etc. I would suggest getting a doctors note to show your guidance counselor.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote