X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT!!!! help me!!

Can someone please tell me why i sweat so profusely whenever i get an an uncomfortable situation. And it happens to me everyday. It's severe facial sweating I can't stand it. It's getting so bad now that I don't want to go outside or do anything. I take Klonopin and Prozac but its just not working. I am so sick of living like this. Does this happen to anyone else? do you have any solutions? Please help. I wish i could just take all my sweat glands out.
Amazeon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default reply

i definitely understand what you are going through. personally, i try to put some type of drying powder on my forehead or armpits when i know i will be in a stressful situation.

i actually specifically have powder rubbed on my forehead and 2 forms of deoderant on everytime before giving a presentation, talking in front of people, or in a job interview. it helps me a certain degree but my voice still breaks and cackles when i am in a socially stressful situation.

don't wear anything which is thin or light in color. the sweat could be so much that it seeps through the clothing that it clings to you and makes the light clothes turn transparent. some men will definitely get an eye full from that

as for the sweating part, try to sit down in stressful situations if possible. when we stand up people can see more of our insecurities through our bodies. sitting down, we can sort of lean our hands on our face or forehead to sort of cover up the sweating.

if all else fails, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom, clean up a little, and come back out.
fluidglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know exactly how you feel. I can't even shake hands with a person, because my hands are so sweaty. People think I'm being rude, but it's actually the opposite. I don't want them to have slimy sweat all over their dry hands.
Shiftless Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default reply

another idea.

have you thought about wearing a scarf or head band?

it is summer now and if you are going outside to meet someone, it is probably quite fashionable to wear a scarf and nobody will probably even notice.

the sweating is sort of automatic. i don't know how to stop it.
fluidglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

thank you so much..... i swear its just me experiencing this. i will definitely use your advice. what kind of facial powder do you use?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

You know what really pisses me off is when people look at me like i have 5 heads because I'm sweating. My niece said to me the other day "are you hot auntie", i looked at her and said "no I'm freezing cold, don't you see me sweating?" it was hilarious. lol
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

You know.... sometimes i wonder what would i prefer, a sweaty face or hands. i don't want either. why me, why us????
Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the same problem amazeon. My hands and my head get really sweaty in social situations. People are always pointing it out to me, its so embarrassing. The meds will not help with any physical symptoms that you have from SA. I just try not to think about it, and carry a handkerchief with me everywhere.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's just a physical effect of anxiety. Maybe you could wear some headbands, heh.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is what has worked for me. You put it on the night before and it shuts the sweat glands down where you put it. It comes in a roll on. They don't give it away, but it works. Also, don't have to use too much. If you use too much it will make you itchy. The only thing the body will compensate and you will sweat in a place you didn't put it on. I usually put it on my chest, underarm, forehead, and neck. Then my feet sweat bad, but at least no one can see that. I usually use it when I have to do something that raises my anxiety level up, which makes me sweat bad.

http://www.stopsweat.com/item/Maxim
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I sweat too; way too much for a chick. It's always the face and the pits! When I am at home, I barely sweat unless I'm exercising.

I guess I'll have to wear black shirts everyday when I go to work. LOL
bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazeon79 View Post
Can someone please tell me why i sweat so profusely whenever i get an an uncomfortable situation. And it happens to me everyday. It's severe facial sweating I can't stand it. It's getting so bad now that I don't want to go outside or do anything. I take Klonopin and Prozac but its just not working. I am so sick of living like this. Does this happen to anyone else? do you have any solutions? Please help. I wish i could just take all my sweat glands out.
ty gillian utles overcoming shyness and SA bookand you will definately understand why you sweat

when an SA sufferer i in a social situation they perceive thatsitauation to be dangerous which makes them anxious. the anxiety causes a lot of physically symptoms. sweating is just a physical symptom of the anxiety. every SA sufferer has to deal withphysical symptoms of anxiety like sweating, trembling, stuttering and blushing is the most common i think

hypnosis is deffo the best treatment for the physicall symptoms part of sa. i bet if you listen to a hypno cd for 21 full days your swaeting probelm will be gone for good

try www.empoweringsounds.com. dont know ifthey have acd for sweating, if not send the guy an email and he may make you a personalized cd
socially inept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Smile

thank you guys... i really gotta try something. And Bunnie i wear black all the time girl!!!! lmao
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

i sweat alot too especially when im walking around the neighborhood or shopping..its terrible becaue if you are anxious and start sweating, then you realize yo are sweating and get more anxious, thus more sweating..its a terrible..i havent found anything that eliminates it..
belfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have the facial sweating problem too. I carry a handkerchief in my pocket at all times. I try to use deep breathing when I start to sweat to calm myself down. It usually goes away once I am able to relax myself.
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

^yeah i usually try to get out of the anxious situation when im sweating and that helps but what if you are forced to be in the situation and just cant escape...??
belfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfort View Post
^yeah i usually try to get out of the anxious situation when im sweating and that helps but what if you are forced to be in the situation and just cant escape...??
Yes Belfort.... That happens to me all the time. Sometimes i just cant seem to escape. I try running in the bathroom but it only makes me sweat more when i come out. I know it's a natural thing to do but i try to explain to people that when i sweat i am actually scared, when they sweat they are just hot.... I could be extremly cold and still sweat because of fear. I will really try to use the advice that was given. you should too. We CANNOT give up EVER. We will be fine one day. I'm sure of it. Just finding this site is an amazing start to new beginnings.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hyperhidrosis is very common if you have SA. If it begins to control you're life, see if you can get prescribed Glycopyrrolate or similar. Little to no side effects , and within three hours sweating can be reduced 80-90% for most people, lasts the majority of the day.
Johnny_Genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've tried Drysol. Every time, I applied it or had the need to sweat(which was like all the time!), it burned and prickled like hell! I had the worst rash ever. I think certain dri is pretty ok, I still sweat but not that much.
cutey130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've just discovered this forum, and I know what you are going though. It's horrid, isn't it? It makes you avoid certain situations because you dread that you'll start sweating, and when it happens you sweat more because you feel that everyone has noticed and you feel so horribly conspicuous and more and more nervous and you just want to leave that situation as fast as possible.

My father suffered dreadfully from the same thing, and I inherited it.

A drug that works is called propranolol. It's a beta-blocker so it doesn't make you feel drowsy or cause you to feel that your emotions are cloaked. I think it works through preventing the adrenalin in your system from causing nervousness. My doctor prescribed it at the lowest 10mg dose (to be taken when required) - I thought I'd need a higher dose, but it works just fine. I'm in the UK, so it might be called something else in the US. But I do recommend it.

It's a long time since you posted your message, and the thread is now old, but maybe you'll read this - propranolol is definately worth a try!

Every best wish to you and to anyone else who is struggling with this form of SA!!
Aulos is offline   Reply With Quote