Smiling: Is it natural? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
My Mood: Tired
Smiling: Is it natural?

I've always been baffled about the subject of smiling. Is it a natural thing? Yes I am well aware that some people give out fake smiles and its pretty easy to spot them, but what about people who just do it '' naturally ''?

For me I only smile whenever I hear a joke or laugh. Or if I'm with a friend and in a good mood. But what is with those people you just see in public who have a smile on them all the time!?? What is their deal!? Is it real?

I think Alex Jones was also talking about this, where people nowadays are brainwashed and overtly happy with a wide fake grin on their faces all the time. These people are at a candy sweet level of happiness 24/7. It's evident in the music they listen to. Stuff like Justin Bieber and Katy Perry....all a bunch of autotuned flamboyant sparkling glow in the dark morons. It all sounds so fake. Compare it to the music of the 80's which had real emotion, real happiness, real energy. Anyways I'm going off topic.

Even in pictures, people have told me repeatedly to smile as if I was breaking some rule. Seriously even when I take profile pictures of myself for social media, my profile pictures end up looking like mugshots and I have to take 10 - 15 pictures before I finally end up with one which looks decent.

And is this a cultural thing too? If you're in a place like California you're going to see these smiley people everywhere. But go to a place like China and Russian and they're almost non existent lol

What is up with me? And what is up with society?
DukeDuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 PM
SAS Member
 
doe deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 19
Posts: 1,504
smiling is a natural thing that people do, even babies smile, they didn't learn it from anyone. smiling is innate.
but constantly smiling like a moron doesn't make sense, i smile when i think something is funny.
doe deer is online now  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM
SAS Member
 
NotTheBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
I've always been baffled about the subject of smiling. Is it a natural thing? Yes I am well aware that some people give out fake smiles and its pretty easy to spot them, but what about people who just do it '' naturally ''?

For me I only smile whenever I hear a joke or laugh. Or if I'm with a friend and in a good mood. But what is with those people you just see in public who have a smile on them all the time!?? What is their deal!? Is it real?

I think Alex Jones was also talking about this, where people nowadays are brainwashed and overtly happy with a wide fake grin on their faces all the time. These people are at a candy sweet level of happiness 24/7. It's evident in the music they listen to. Stuff like Justin Bieber and Katy Perry....all a bunch of autotuned flamboyant sparkling glow in the dark morons. It all sounds so fake. Compare it to the music of the 80's which had real emotion, real happiness, real energy. Anyways I'm going off topic.

Even in pictures, people have told me repeatedly to smile as if I was breaking some rule. Seriously even when I take profile pictures of myself for social media, my profile pictures end up looking like mugshots and I have to take 10 - 15 pictures before I finally end up with one which looks decent.

And is this a cultural thing too? If you're in a place like California you're going to see these smiley people everywhere. But go to a place like China and Russian and they're almost non existent lol

What is up with me? And what is up with society?
it depends on a lot of things, anyways "intelligent girls are more depressed because they know the world"
NotTheBus is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Liminal
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 💀
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,761
http://www.youtube.com/v/2TAGtY1SsfU

The amount people smile is cultural because people mirror other's expressions. That's why like you say people in California are really emotive, and people in other regions/countries less so.


We will patiently wait for the dinosaurs to die out... They will die, and then we'll move into their homes.



🎧 🎧
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svarog11 View Post
Are you an anarchist, by any chance?
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Don't make me stink
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 43
Posts: 19,516
My Mood: Relaxed
Natural smiling happens but it's generally rarer than the forced smiles that are so common. I remember having to be taught to smile for a photo in early school because I didn't understand the point of smiling for no reason.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,495
yes i smile alot
ljubo is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Cry. But I can't.
 
rockyraccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Over The Hills And Far Away
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,181
I can't smile on demand. I can't even fake smile.

...Deep in my soul, I've been so lonely
All of my hopes, fading away
I've longed for love, like everyone else does
I know I'll keep searching, even after today
So there it is girl, I've said it all now
And here we are babe, what do you say?
We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight babe
Why don't you stay?...


I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption
rockyraccoon is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:33 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Coast NSW Australia
Gender: Male
Posts: 537
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
This. I refuse to smile unless I have reason to.
nbar is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM
SAS Member
 
pixiepirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 48
My Mood: Bored
smiling is natural when you're happy or amused
fake smiling isn't natural, but it's not without purpose. smiling even when you're not happy can be a good thing
the act of smiling actually can make you feel happier. your brain associates a smile with happiness, and smiling can sort of "trick" your brain into thinking you're in a better mood, altering the chemicals in our brain a bit. and likewise, frowning, scowling, etc, can negatively affect your mood.

smiling also signals things to other people. if you're going around with a neutral expression or a mean looking resting face (like I have), it can send bad vibes. People may think you're upset, angry, unapproachable. if you're smiling, you're more friendly looking and inviting. would you rather go to the smiling cashier or the one who looks like she'd rather burn the place down than stand there five more minutes? most people would go for the smiling person. whether these faces reflect the inner emotions is irrelevant, because we can't really know what they're truly feeling. so similing is important.

people also tend to mirror each other. if you're around smiling people, you're more likely to feel happier or smile yourself. if you're in a room of scowling faces, regardless of if they're unhappy or not, you're probably not going to feel as happy or smile yourself.

i try to smile in public and in pictures because i do have a mean looking resting face. i can be perfectly happy but look like i want to die. i find i get a lot more positive reactions from others if i look happy than if i show no emotion.

fake smiling takes practice. it's not just about turning the corners of your mouth up. gotta work those muscles around the eyes to. be all like Tyra Banks and "Smile with your eyes", otherwise something will seem off, and it will obviously look fake
pixiepirate is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Worthless Garbage
 
Crisigv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Female
Age: 29
Posts: 5,065
My Mood: Dead
Most of my smiles are forced

~Every failure is a step closer to success~

~I can't rely on anyone else to fix me. It's all up to me.~
Crisigv is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Don't make me stink
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 43
Posts: 19,516
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepirate View Post
smiling is natural when you're happy or amused
fake smiling isn't natural, but it's not without purpose. smiling even when you're not happy can be a good thing
the act of smiling actually can make you feel happier. your brain associates a smile with happiness, and smiling can sort of "trick" your brain into thinking you're in a better mood, altering the chemicals in our brain a bit. and likewise, frowning, scowling, etc, can negatively affect your mood.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Gender: Genderqueer
Posts: 6,182
My Mood: Twisted
i hate smiling... its just so phony
M0rbid is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Australia. Feel free to have a chat whoever you are. I'm nice I promise ^.^. Skype - mrvissero
Gender: Male
Posts: 276
My Mood: Devilish
I only smile when someone deserves it. I'm honest to a fault and never mastered the art of smiling to manipulate others around me. Something I might look into. It is a great way to diffuse tension and create trust so something to consider.
TonyH is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by doe deer View Post
smiling is a natural thing that people do, even babies smile, they didn't learn it from anyone. smiling is innate.
but constantly smiling like a moron doesn't make sense, i smile when i think something is funny.

But babies don't smile all the time. They also smile only when they are amused or something funny happens. I've never seen a baby smile casually 24/7 for no reason. However some people do that.
DukeDuck is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
http://www.youtube.com/v/2TAGtY1SsfU

The amount people smile is cultural because people mirror other's expressions. That's why like you say people in California are really emotive, and people in other regions/countries less so.


To be honest though it is nice to live in a place where people smile all the time. I don't get it, but it feels friendly and living in a place where nobody smiles would be depressing.
DukeDuck is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 AM
... .- -..
 
noydb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: noyb
Gender: Female
Age: 1
Posts: 1,759
My Mood: Sad
I don't know if it's natural or not, but I try to do it all the time in order to manipulate people into being nice to me. It works some of the time.

Mc Borg is an emoji thief.
noydb is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 AM
SAS Member
 
Destormjanina1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
It is for some people which is so baffling to me as I have a natural scowl. Like I need something good to happen in order for me to smile. I don't get people who are happy for no reason.
Destormjanina1 is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 301
My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepirate View Post
smiling is natural when you're happy or amused
fake smiling isn't natural, but it's not without purpose. smiling even when you're not happy can be a good thing
the act of smiling actually can make you feel happier. your brain associates a smile with happiness, and smiling can sort of "trick" your brain into thinking you're in a better mood, altering the chemicals in our brain a bit. and likewise, frowning, scowling, etc, can negatively affect your mood.

smiling also signals things to other people. if you're going around with a neutral expression or a mean looking resting face (like I have), it can send bad vibes. People may think you're upset, angry, unapproachable. if you're smiling, you're more friendly looking and inviting. would you rather go to the smiling cashier or the one who looks like she'd rather burn the place down than stand there five more minutes? most people would go for the smiling person. whether these faces reflect the inner emotions is irrelevant, because we can't really know what they're truly feeling. so similing is important.

people also tend to mirror each other. if you're around smiling people, you're more likely to feel happier or smile yourself. if you're in a room of scowling faces, regardless of if they're unhappy or not, you're probably not going to feel as happy or smile yourself.

i try to smile in public and in pictures because i do have a mean looking resting face. i can be perfectly happy but look like i want to die. i find i get a lot more positive reactions from others if i look happy than if i show no emotion.

fake smiling takes practice. it's not just about turning the corners of your mouth up. gotta work those muscles around the eyes to. be all like Tyra Banks and "Smile with your eyes", otherwise something will seem off, and it will obviously look fake


Fake smiling is nearly impossible for me lol. I end up looking like a **** whenever I do it. The only time I smile properly is when something funny happens and I'm actually trying to not laugh.
DukeDuck is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:29 AM
SAS Member
 
doe deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 19
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
But babies don't smile all the time. They also smile only when they are amused or something funny happens. I've never seen a baby smile casually 24/7 for no reason. However some people do that.
of course they don't. i clearly said smiling for no reason doesn't make sense and it's not normal.
doe deer is online now  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 AM
ಥ◡ಥ
 
probably offline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,932
Laughter is even more strange, and universal.

that's what she said
probably offline is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survey: American's biggest fear = Corrupt Government Officials Cletis Society & Culture 11 10-28-2016 08:51 AM
hair look better straight or natural? superwholock General Discussion 8 09-06-2016 01:29 AM
Does Atheism have a Suicide Problem? AngelClare Society & Culture 77 04-19-2016 07:08 PM
I have trouble smiling like in photos where you're supposed to look happy Setolac Frustration 8 02-06-2016 03:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome