Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Sleeping later and later every night (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/sleeping-later-and-later-every-night-779202/)

AnotherGuy 12-20-2013 10:40 PM

Sleeping later and later every night

I've been sleeping later and later and it's bothering me because I don't know if I'm suffering from insomnia or if my sleeping pattern is just screwed up.

It's getting to the point where I'm reaching until roughly 4 am. Then I sleep until almost noon. I don't mind because it's not like I'm shirking my duties in terms of looking for work. I'm applying for work all the time. But my parents are witnessing this new pattern. They are older so they don't understand the internet and how virtually all job searching is done via internet. To them, I'm just up late screwing around and sleeping all day.

Anyone have sleep issues?

ericj 12-20-2013 10:52 PM

My sleep pattern is abnormal, particularly for my age. It's roughly 16 hours awake and 9 asleep (25 hour days), but I have a very weak circadian rhythm and can do 17/9 if I am not vigilant about controlling my pattern. I rotate around the clock or I'm constantly tired. To correct it, I do a "phase shift" every weekend so Monday starts about 5 hours before I need to be up, Tuesday is 4 hours, and so-on until Friday I am up exactly when I need to be up, then I phase shift into Saturday, stabilize on Sunday (go to sleep at around 5P), and repeat the cycle.

You probably don't have that problem. It's often there from birth or develops as a teenager.

However, light from computer screens affects many people and can mess up your circadian rhythm if they are used too late into the evening.

What do you do when you realize you're sleeping from 4-12?

AnotherGuy 12-20-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj (Post 1069019826)

However, light from computer screens affects many people and can mess up your circadian rhythm if they are used too late into the evening.

What do you do when you realize you're sleeping from 4-12?

Wow, I didn't know that about computer screen lights. Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday. I'll try to read up on that.

Well, this sleeping pattern change just sort of happened or crept up on me. But really I don't actively do anything about it because frankly I don't know much in terms of options. Since I can't sleep or don't feel tired, I search for work or read. I listen to music, and come to this forum, all in hopes of making myself sleepy. Sleep just never comes. I feel like I'm hanging on until I eventually pass out. I never feel sleepy, but sleep just comes. I'm not aware when it happens and the next afternoon when I wake up, I can't remember ever being sleepy. It's the oddest thing.

ericj 12-20-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherGuy (Post 1069020066)
Wow, I didn't know that about computer screen lights. Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday. I'll try to read up on that.

Well, this sleeping pattern change just sort of happened or crept up on me. But really I don't actively do anything about it because frankly I don't know much in terms of options. Since I can't sleep or don't feel tired, I search for work or read. I listen to music, and come to this forum, all in hopes of making myself sleepy. Sleep just never comes. I feel like I'm hanging on until I eventually pass out. I never feel sleepy, but sleep just comes. I'm not aware when it happens and the next afternoon when I wake up, I can't remember ever being sleepy. It's the oddest thing.

You're welcome. I just know a fair bit about weird sleep disorders, considering it seems I have one. Not that it has ever been that bad when I had the ability to control my sleep patterns.

It's almost certainly the light of the screen...

firestar 12-21-2013 12:41 AM

Have you tried sleeping aids like melatonin? They're supposed to help. You could try gradually adjusting your sleep cycle back. I would also think that if you set an alarm and got up earlier so that you intentionally got less sleep than you needed, it might be easier to fall asleep earlier.

I'm looking for a solution to sleep problems as well, but in my case it's just a horrible case of jet lag and I know it'll work itself out eventually.

Raeden 12-21-2013 03:55 AM

My sleep schedule has gone in circles for years. A month ago, I was waking up at 6am like a normal person, then it changed to about 9-11pm, and now I'm waking up at 2am.

stewartoo7 12-21-2013 08:20 AM

the lifestyle you currently lead is effecting your sleeping patters been in the same boat for years due to being out of work and using the computer all day every day.

get some exercise go for walks in other words break you daily internet patterns you dont have to spend all day every day looking for work trust me take time out and your body clock will return to the norm

changeme77 12-21-2013 08:46 AM

Exercise will nip this right in the bud.

arnie 12-21-2013 08:52 AM

Try taking a nap around 7PM, sleep as long as you can and then just stay up through the night. You will get back on schedule.

ccoop 12-21-2013 12:19 PM

Google "delayed sleep phase syndrome". I think one of the ways of treating it is Bright Light Therapy. Basically you have a very bright lamp in your room that turns on at the time you want to wake up. My sleeping pattern is terrible and I find that I wake up an hour later each day when I'm not working. But if I go camping, or sleep in a room that gets lots of sunlight in the morning, then I will wake around sunrise, regardless of when I went to sleep.

Melodies0fLife 12-21-2013 12:36 PM

That's funny, I wake up earlier and earlier every day. :lol Totally opposite.

nothing else 12-21-2013 12:38 PM

I have very similar problems. On average I go to bed after 2:30am. But a lot of times it's 4am and even 5am some nights. And then I wake up late and the cycle continues. It's a bad habit to break out of too. Not sure what to do.

Alfendi Layton 12-21-2013 02:56 PM

I found out that unless I'm really tired I can't fall asleep as easily. Because of this my sleep pattern during holiday break is horrible as I'm not as tired as the day that I do something that makes me tired.

zanetti5243 12-22-2013 07:45 AM

My sleeping pattern is getting so ****ed up, pretty much going to sleep at 7am and then waking up at like 2-4pm.

Oob 12-22-2013 07:56 AM

I woke up at 2:30pm today :(