X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scared to apply for this job

An acquaintance referred me to his friend who was hiring. I've been putting it off for weeks. I finally got the nerve to call the woman and she said the position was for a call center, basically talking on the phone all day (UGH).

I was about to fax my resume to her anyway, but I chickened out. I can not see myself in a job like that, but from what the bus driver told me, it pays 40K. That would change my life right now! BUT I do not have a pleasant phone voice or great phone etiquette, so why bother.

All the good jobs require too much talking for my taste. A huge part of my depression is the fact that I have SA. How am I gonna make it in the world w/poor communication skills? If I do apply, and get hired, there will probably be a period for training and I imagine that I will have to practice reading scripts in front of everyone.

I'm still considering this because I desperately need more money and I need health insurance. I also need to move out. Arrg, what do I do?
bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Id say drink a bit or something for confidence and force yourself to do it, I recently started working making lattes and talking to customers all day and it turned out to be really worth it, I hated the application but after I was in it helped my SA a lot.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Go for it! You never know what's going to happen
veron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

hi there i know what u feel , i was in the same boat i worked in a call center last year , i was so nervous when i did the interview , then they called me to had formation for week , we had dialogues , we practiced how to sell and persuade to sell ...
i wasn't too much nervous..and so u u ve not to be nervous .. when i begin to call people , there were big noise of my co-workers they all talking and trying to sell , everyone he is focusing on his own stuff . so this made me comfortable ..
i was insulted many times when i called..lol..so i didn't like this job because it took
all day micro on the ears when i came out at home i feel tired and my ears kept ringing all time..so i left

my advice for u go for it
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Try it. You seem competent enough. I really hope you apply.
blc1 is offline   Reply With Quote