X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Resting Face

I hate it when people think I'm angry or sad when I just have my resting face on.

you know the face right? where you have no expression. you're not smiling because well nothing was funny you're not frowning.. its just you're resting face.

it happens all the time people think that I am angry or something when its just my resting face!!!!

grrr.

Kuromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Resting Face

This has happened to me a lot... someone asks me about it, and I'm just thinking, what - I'm not mad, sad, happy, or whatever... I just am.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
-- Frank Herbert
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I get that a lot as well.

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin
Inscrutable Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

You should say that to them. I'm not mad, this is my resting face, lol.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah... I get this sometimes too. Takes too much energy to act all happy and OK all the time.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've gotten this a lot in my life - too many times to count. I think a lot of the time, people may be misreading "tense" for "mad". Some people are quite relaxed and it shows up in their expression - some (like many of us) are tense and/or stressed...even if we don't always realize it. We can carry a lot of tension in our bodies (including the face).

Actually I've learned more than ever that your mental state shows up in your facial expression - as if the brain automatically (w/o our awareness) sends signals to the facial muscles. When I was off my meds several months ago and the anxiety became a horrific, raging monster with a life all it's own...my face was the most tense it's ever been. I could feel it - and I could look in the mirror and see it. I had to make a very conscious effort to relax certain facial muscles (but they would tense right back up if I didn't constantly concentrate on doing this). I even developed new "lines" in my face because of this. (As a woman who never got to enjoy her "youthful good looks" - this upsets me!)

--What a "close friend" of Bill Belichick's said to Sports Illustrated in January 2000, referring to Belichick's first head-coaching job with the Cleveland Browns (which was marred by various troubles).
kintrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

My 'resting face' always appears serious.
General Specific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces_Shy

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin
Inscrutable Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ooooo i was just talking about this the other day with my sister, i get it alot and it really gets on my nerves. I feel like i look just neutral but i always get comments like "smile" or "it cant be that bad", it really pisses me off.
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces_Shy
Old 04-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

yes i know what you mean,but dont take it to seriously,it's okay to be you and have your restingface(which sounds really funny and what other people think about it doesnt really matter,some people just have to comment everything and it dont have to mean so much,if you know what i mean.if you start looking around you you'll probably notice many people have tense or angry looks on their faces.depends on your state of mind a lot what your face is showing.its okay to just be and its okay to be sad or angry,it really is.its okay to have a restingfaceand if people comment that you look angry dont mind them too much co's you know the truth that your not.

is brainwashing really bad?wouldnt it be nice with a newly cleaned and freshsmelling brain?
Roped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

haha I'm surprised so many people can relate!

It is frustrating though. The first time it ever happened was when I was at my dads wedding and I was just sitting there eating with no expression. and after the wedding he was like you looked miserable the whole time!
and I'm like "its just my resting face!"
hahaha I don't know how I coined that term it just kinda came out.
Kuromi is offline   Reply With Quote