X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Replaying events in your head.

--
KC-Blu-Eyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
R

Default Re: Replaying events in your head.

I don't really do it before hand. But I do it after a conversation or something. I just go over what I would have said had I had the chance to think a bit. Its weird because after the fact, everything flows just fine, but as long as someone is infront of you nothing comes to mind. I would think that by doing this before hand your building up even more anxiety which further screws you up.
R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do this to no end. I replay events over and over again in my head for years. It is hugely depressing.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
R

I do it for a few minutes then I usually catch myself and tell myself "just drop it, it doesn't matter anymore"

I never replay things from years past mostly just things that happen moments before or earlier in the day.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
R

I was reading over the SAD actile on wiki and came across this :

"According to the social psychology theory of self-presentation, a sufferer attempts to create a well-mannered impression on others but believes he or she is unable to do so. Many times, prior to the potentially anxiety-provoking social situation, sufferers may deliberate over what could go wrong and how to deal with each unexpected case. After the event, they may have the perception they performed unsatisfactorily. Consequently, they will review anything that may have possibly been abnormal or embarrassing. These thoughts do not just terminate soon after the encounter, but may extend for weeks or longer."

I haven't read the wiki article in over a year. It's been updated quite a bit.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Over and over and over again. Every little mistake and every possibly good interaction.
LostInReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do that a lot.

I replay and micro-analyze every aspect of things I have done and think how I must have looked so stupid and wish how I could have done them differently. I do this even several months after it is all over, especially if i am expecting a similar situation in the near future.

And yes, I rehearse in my mind a thousand times how I'm going to carry myself and what I'm going to say etc during something coming up. But then, when the anticipated situation approaches, my anxiety gets worse and I try and avoid it. If I do face it then my mind is so blank that i can't remember anything from the countless "rehearsals" and i end up acting just as i always do. And then the analyzing/ reliving/ replaying starts again. The negative cycle keeps perpetuating
Every form of happiness is private. Our greatest memories are personal, self-motivated, not to be touched. The things which are sacred or precious to us are the things we withdraw from promiscuous sharing. -- Ayn Rand

The true use of speech is not so much to express our wants as to conceal them. -- Oliver Goldsmith

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. -- Vernon Law
Slim Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

i replay emabaressing moments or just any moments in my head do then like physically act out what could have gone better. i also do it for the future, like high school starting in the fall and i like act out in my room meeting ppl and they think i am funny and i make aton of friends and i even get asked to the homecoming dance, its all in my head and i realize that it will never happen. but the future stuff makes me happy, i spend all day doing it and it is pretty much the only happiness i have in my day. maybe dreaming about stuff and then it not turning out near as good makes things seem even worse than they are. who knows
kid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Situations I've been in get replayed in my head a lot. It's like every little thing I've said, or something that I didn't say, is on continuous loop in my mind. I don't consciously do it any more because it's just too depressing and exhausting, picking apart every little thing and forever thinking about what I could have done, why did they say that, why didn't I say this... etc., but I do still find past conversations and situations popping into my head unwantedly quite often, especially lying awake at night. I think it's easy for my brain to hang on to every little action and to deconstruct conversations when I have very little else going on in my life... naturally, the smallest of things are going to crop up once my mind starts wandering and it's difficult to shake those thoughts sometimes.
mooncake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I do it obsessively, over and over. I replay things that I think went well, and I sort of 'fantasize' about how the things that went wrong should have gone.

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

i've got this really bad. i replay events as far back as kindergarten, (and yes, i remember those days) and think over how i should have done this,
or that was stupid, or how the teacher hated me after such and such and probably still does...
i worry even more about recent events. my english teacher read some of our creative writing assighnments out loud, and i had panick attacks for weeks about how awful my progect was and how everyone in the class thought i was some kind of moron.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah i do it a lot too, you know dismiss all the positives , dwell on the negatives, i should'nt of said that, i should of done that type of thing but i have'nt always been an SA sufferer so that kinda helps me understand that it's my SA playing up and that i'm not a freak and that i did'nt act weirdly or speak outta turn and even if i did then nobody really gives a **** .
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah I do this all the time. The clinical name for what you're describing is "Racing Thoughts". I usually get them when I am trying to go to sleep or when I have to do something. They are really annoying.
rb1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I do it obsessively, over and over. I replay things that I think went well, and I sort of 'fantasize' about how the things that went wrong should have gone.
I do exactly the same as you, and I can't help it.
crazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have also had this problem. I was looking for a word that would describe this and I came across a term called Ruminating, it's when "When people ruminate, they over-think or obsess about situations or life events, such as work or relationships." it may have something to do with problem solving. I'm intrigued and will practice this to see if it helps me. Good luck all.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

i do this all the time i thought i was the only one glad im not!
DefendAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

I spend more time reflecting and hating myself for mistakes made in freshman year and thinking about the future than I do living in the present.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yea I do this all the time. For example, I find that imagining what a class presentation might be like ahead of time helps me be more comfortable when it actually happens. And I also review interactions that happened recently. And sometimes I can get embarrassed and blush even just thinking about the interaction.
aaustin747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah if a social event is upcoming I over analyse the situation so much and start to think of every possible thing that could go wrong. I also get paranoid that someone might have heard/seen me do things and in my mind they get blown out of proportion
becksbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

This happens to me a lot too. When someone talks to me and if I talk back, I'm always paying attention to how I look, like how my facial expressions look, and my body movements. After the situation of talking with the person is over, I constantly replay the thoughts I had at the given time over in my head; I smiled weirdly, or something twitched somewhere, involuntarily (whether it did or not). Yesterday, I smiled at some guy, trying to appear happy, and he asked if I was smiling; know I think I have a weird smile.
SarahSublimelyStrange is offline   Reply With Quote