X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Professor (still) playing favorites.....

Hey guys! I know I most likely made a post about this quite awhile ago on here, but I can't find it, so I'm going to repost about it. Plus given the fact that's still an ongoing problem and causing a TON of frustration makes it appropriate.
So in my original post, I related that I suspect one of my professors that I really look up to may be playing favorites. There were seven freshmen that came into the program I'm in this year (including myself). One of us, a girl, had already known this professor for more than 2 years before coming to the University. Well, within a semester, this girl had managed to make our whole department (both students AND professors) and her classmates in almost all of her outside classes hate her. She's VERY dramatic and always finding a way to get a reaction/attention from people. She'll do this by blowing things very out of proportion, crying, purposely overdosing on medication and making herself sick, giving herself physical injuries when people are around to see it happen, fake fainting spells, faking allergic reactions and claiming that her throat is closing up, even forcing herself to throw up when people are around to watch her do it. She's also very juvenile in maturity and has a problem with promiscuicity. If someone else earns a higher grade or ranking, she b****** about how the student that earned it was favored over her, claims that when she's not the center of attention she's being "ignored, abused, and neglected", has told outright lies and started nasty rumors about other people, and claims to have PTSD from a supposed "miscarriage" she had (that I could believe because of her promiscuicity). This girl has even cussed out/at several professors and has almost gotten arrested for different things such as underage drinking (the only reason the head waitress at the restaurant where it happened didn't call the police was because it would have gone back on the new server, who thought her fake id was real), car accidents/aggressive driving, etc. However, this girl has consistently placed one of the best in everything that she has tried for even though there are freshman who are clearly better than she is, and we all believe it is due to our professor's bias and the need to keep up her own ego about her "star pupil", and also not wanting to admit that she was wrong about this girl. It's frustrating because those of us that actually know we deserve recognition for what we do lose it to this girl because of our professor's preferential treatment. My only hope is that this girl continues to behave badly or even that it escalates with the hopes of making our professor look bad in some way so that she'll finally realize this girl is actually a hinderance to her reputation and cause her to want nothing to do with her. I would hate so much to transfer schools if nothing changes because I truly do love the program I'm enrolled in and have made so many friends since starting college, something I thought my anxiety would keep me from ever doing. Can anyone relate, and if so, is there anything that could be done to stop it from happening? I feel going to the head of the School of....or the Dean of the branch of college my program is in would be appropriate, but there is little proof that can be shown with this and I don't want to start any trouble between my professor and I since we do get along really well. Thanks for listening!
clari6617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Break that up into few paragraphs, no offense. But that happens. Professors are always going to favor students they knew previously. That's how it is.

Just don't let it get you jealous because it almost freaked me out.
The Phantom Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

None taken, don't worry. For some reason my computer wouldn't post it with the paragraphs. It's not that I'm jealous, it's just frustrating that this professor would let someone not only get away with things like this, but give the person more opportunities than everyone else and than what they deserve on top of it. I'm still taking your advice and trying not to let it get to me as long as it isn't or doesn't end up interferring with me getting the best out of my education.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clari6617 View Post
None taken, don't worry. For some reason my computer wouldn't post it with the paragraphs. It's not that I'm jealous, it's just frustrating that this professor would let someone not only get away with things like this, but give the person more opportunities than everyone else and than what they deserve on top of it. I'm still taking your advice and trying not to let it get to me as long as it isn't or doesn't end up interferring with me getting the best out of my education.
Yeah I actually had this same problem earlier in the semester. It's super annoying, I will say that. Once I realised what was making me angry, I cooled off a bit figured I wouldn't care as long as I got the grade I wanted. Although I can't say the student my professor favored was even half as annoying as that girl sounds. I can only imagine.

I hope you term is almost over at least. I probably couldn't deal with that more than a few more weeks. If you can avoid her in future classes, try that too.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thankfully we only have about two and half weeks left before summer with exams and everything. I do hope things change drastically because I can begin to sense myself feeling resentment toward my professor and anger, which is really upsetting. I can feel myself starting to get that attitude of "you don't really care about me and I doubt you even like me at all" which was the cause of a lot of depression issues in high school for me. Oh well, that's something I can vent to my counselor about. Hey, sorry if I get a little too "yakkity-yak" on here. This issue has a lot that can be said about it.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clari6617 View Post
Thankfully we only have about two and half weeks left before summer with exams and everything. I do hope things change drastically because I can begin to sense myself feeling resentment toward my professor and anger, which is really upsetting. I can feel myself starting to get that attitude of "you don't really care about me and I doubt you even like me at all" which was the cause of a lot of depression issues in high school for me. Oh well, that's something I can vent to my counselor about. Hey, sorry if I get a little too "yakkity-yak" on here. This issue has a lot that can be said about it.
That's fine. This is a public forum after all. I think it's extra frustrating because you think favortism is something that you leave behind in lower grade levels but you almost immeditlly see that's not the case in college with some of the faculty.

Hopefully you'll get a much more professional professor next term.