X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default People will walk all over you if you let them

Did anyone else learn this lesson the hard way? I always thought people would eventually back off, but they won't stop until you stand up to them. I've gotten so much better with standing up to punks like that. And the thing is, they're really not that tough once you put them in their place.
JALW88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Indeed. But it's a completely different thing to muster up the courage to stand up for yourself.
ConfusedMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive just begun to realize thats completely true- what a messed up world it is. I never will understand why- its like any weakness you have will be taken advantage of automatically. You have to have enough courage or wisdom to realize your a better person than you think. I never got out of that mind trap of low self esteem though. Its hard to understand, they say you are what you think u r- so if you think badly about yourself arent you going to be just like what you think of yourself?
guitarmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I finally realized what you did- that its possible to put them in their place. You just have to act like you wont take their crap and really mean it. Thats the important part. I never really felt like i really meant it
guitarmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah. People will try to take advantages of weakness they see in you. Really sucks. I definately need to stand up for myself better- make myself known, and let everyone know that I won't be forgotten. I hate being left behind. People think they can ignore you or use you for what they need and that's all... well that's total bs. You really do have to stand up for yourself. Gotta have courage. Yesterday, my mom said, "people will only do what you allow them to do." If you let them walk all over you, they will; if you stand up for yourself, they will back up.

Too bad it's so much easier said than done.
Jennifer Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote