X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-14-2006, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default people who talk down to you

I need to vent. I was at a bank today, when this lady spoke to me as if i was a kid in such a rude and condescending manner. Granted, i probably do look young, but for goodness sakes, i turn 20 in a few weeks.

Who the hell do you think you are? Where the bloody **** do you come off acting all high and mighty than me? Then again i wouldnt expect much from a 6 foot giant old ***** with an ugly-*** perm. Probably pms'ing over the fact shes as dry and barren as the moon. Stupid little ****.

I want to switch banks. This completely ruined my day.

People like that just tick me off. someone else post a similar experience so i dont seem so mad.

you're better than normal, you're abnormal...
joeshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default People who talk down to you

Yeah, that's what I hate the most. I had a similar experience at work last night, with this jerk explaining things to me that a fourth-grader is familiar with.
This guy is a real $#@%-hat.

loner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I, for one, completely understand! I am 22 years old, but I can look as if I'm 14 years old. I have a cute baby face, I'm only 5 ft. tall, and I just look young at times. I always receive rude remarks about my age and how old I look. I was at work about a month ago, and while talking with a customer about how I was going to do a scrapbook for my husband, she remarked, "...and here I was thinking you weren't even out of high school." While doing observations at an elementary school, a teacher passing down the hallway told me that I looked as if I belonged in the kindergarten class myself. I have to wear low cut tops, high heels, makeup, and hair styled if I want to be perceived as being my age or any older. It is so utterly frustrating.

Emma
emmak218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am almost 6ft and probably look older than I actually am, yet I receive the same treatment, and it makes me feel almost derisory. I am sharper intellectually than most at my workplace and finish my duties proficiently but still the fools higher up the food chain talk to me as if I’m an incapable child just starting out. I know what you mean. They either see us as vulnerable people in need of protection or mistake our quietness for a sort of enmity.

What I do know is that it makes me feel very angry and can only succeed in making me feel more anxious about meself.
ScottishSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Some people have decided that they have the right to take
out their frustration on the first person they think they can
get away with it.

The only way to stop it is to have the look, and even better
the reputation, of taking no crap.

If you look like you have low self-confindense you are going
to get **** on several times in life, people are not nice.
My_Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

You've got it, My_Shrink.

I've experienced the same at banks and liquor stores, too. Can anyone explain this phenomena?
BeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can turn it around on them. Of course if you are in a heap of SA at the time, it may be difficult. Then you wonder why "creeps (people like us)" keep black lists or grudges against people who have caused ill will to us ;X Stand for your right. What makes the person issuing an insult to you greater than you?

If someone tells you how young you look in a rude way, explain to them how ugly/fat/ or anything else you can see they are (even if it's not true).
kraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

That sort of thing happens to me all the time. I guess I look like a easy target. I can remember one time when I turned it around on them , they looked so suprised that they were speech less

andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmak218
I, for one, completely understand! I am 22 years old, but I can look as if I'm 14 years old. I have a cute baby face, I'm only 5 ft. tall, and I just look young at times. I always receive rude remarks about my age and how old I look. I was at work about a month ago, and while talking with a customer about how I was going to do a scrapbook for my husband, she remarked, "...and here I was thinking you weren't even out of high school." While doing observations at an elementary school, a teacher passing down the hallway told me that I looked as if I belonged in the kindergarten class myself. I have to wear low cut tops, high heels, makeup, and hair styled if I want to be perceived as being my age or any older. It is so utterly frustrating.

Emma
I totally identify with this. I am also 22 years old but appear about 14, and I am only 5 ft tall. This combined with my SA means most people who don't know me assume I am far younger than I am. Especially since I hate low cut tops, high heels and makeup. I never wear them.

Since I'm so used to appearing younger than I am, and it does have it's uses, I often don't mind. It's when people patronize me that I can't stand it. The worst times are when some older person speaks to my parents over my head, as if I do not exist. I get angry then.
katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze
Then you wonder why "creeps (people like us)" keep black lists or grudges against people who have caused ill will to us ;X Stand for your right.
Too bad you label yourself as a "creep"

I don't appreciate that word or label. I'm a recovering SAer that tries really hard to stand up for myself and be taken seriously. I treat cashiers, tellers and waiters with respect and I expect professionalism in return.
sslhea is offline   Reply With Quote