X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default People who just can't shut up

Irritate me to no end. What's the use of saying out loud every single thought that passes through your mind, even if it's meaningless? And I mean friendly chatter mainly. Once I had to leave a common PC room, because a guy with an unpleasant voice kept on speaking to his friends in a loud and monotonus tone that I just couldn't stand for long. An other time I left an online game because they went on chatting and laughing about absolutely NOTHING noteworthy pretty much without a break, and I thought could well continue for hours.

But I'm sure it's all completely normal, what was I thinking, fun just isn't for me, they will never speak to me again. Ah well.
wintermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are times that sort of thing gets to me too. There will be times that I don't feel that way, and am quite happy to take the time to make a bit of small talk with someone. But there will also be times that I'm not. For example if I'm using public transport and a total stranger will approach me and just start talking at me - but not get the hint that I want my space and want to be left to myself. It's also happened a few times in the past when I've had to get a taxi home after a long evening and am so tired the last thing I feel like doing is having a conversation. But the driver will just keep on and on talking at me. It can be pretty irritating.
Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I work in an office like this... they are all women and they won't shut up... ever. The job I do requires heavy concentration and quiet and they just don't get it. They (mgmt) are trying to split the department up and put them in a different room but some days I think I will just freak out.

I am female and I suppose yakking endlessly about stupid garbage is what we are 'supposed to' do ... whatever... but I just wish they would stop talking about female enhancement surgeries, rotten husbands/boyfriends, personal problems and the latest celebrity death/turmoil.

I mean I am always drug into these conversations with a comment like, "what do you think..." I just want to say... I think you are all stupid for talking about mundane cr-p when you are supposed to be working and that you can't find anything intelligent to talk about that requires a fourth of a brain. But I just smile and turn and listen for a few minutes to seem like I am 'fitting in' and then turn back to my work.

I've talked to my supervisor about it and she told me to tell them to shut up... wonderful... no, I'm not able to do that... she's told them I don't know how many times to keep the talking down so we can work and they shape up for a day at the most and then it goes right back to the way it was. The talk OVER the cubicles and really loud on the phones in addition to the gathering and talking with each other.

I guess I am turning this into a rant... or did it start that way... sorry... this just hit a nerve for me. They are all good people and are nice in their own ways but sometimes I just wish they would SHUT UP.
caflme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Widow View Post
There are times that sort of thing gets to me too. There will be times that I don't feel that way, and am quite happy to take the time to make a bit of small talk with someone. But there will also be times that I'm not. For example if I'm using public transport and a total stranger will approach me and just start talking at me - but not get the hint that I want my space and want to be left to myself. It's also happened a few times in the past when I've had to get a taxi home after a long evening and am so tired the last thing I feel like doing is having a conversation. But the driver will just keep on and on talking at me. It can be pretty irritating.
I thought that people didn't talk to each other in London?

Anyway there's a Chippy i go to here and the woman who runs it never shuts up...And i mean never! I don't know where she get's the energy from she must be on speed o'r something! As soon as you walk in she'll start babbling at a tremendous speed and she shouts too. She goes so fast you miss what the hell she's talking about and she'll talk about someone you don't know as if you know them..''She's had a baby you know!''....''He's got a new car!''....I just stand there nodding and smiling and i end up feeling exhausted.

People who don't shut up probably have poorer social skills than us! Conversation is about listening to the other person as much as talking.
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

My brother! Once he gets started at work he just doesn't know when to quit. He'll take a phone call from a customer and spend a couple of hours yakking to 'em about everything. When he gets a bit of gossip from one conversation, he puts it into the next one so the more people that he talks to, the worse it gets. He says things like "To cut a long story short" and then proceeds to tell them the whole story in minute detail. It doesn't occur to him that we only have one phone line so other people can't get through, that he's not actually working while he's gossiping or that the other person has gone quiet because they really don't give a ****! Throw into the mix the fact that he says "whatever", "whoever" or "wherever" in every other sentence and it's enough to make me suicidal. I'm not working with him at the moment but I'm dreading having to go back. That's one of the main factors in my decision to bet most of my savings on the stock market - when/if it pays off (in 3-5 years, I hope) I'll be able to retire, buy a nice house in wherever and spend all day doing whatever with whoever in complete silence!
markx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

And my grandmother! After every 2 hour visit i feel like an emptied toothpaste tube. She just doesn't stop talking. She's not interested in anything i would have to say, she allways interrupts me in the middle of the sentence and goes on. Well she grew up with 10 siblings, so she had to be that way to be noticed. It's kinda fun watching them talking with eachother, everybody shouts and nobody seems to listen anybody. Of course i don't have any chance to participate, well, except when they ask me why don't i talk
eitherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
kos

since my 19th birthday is coming up my co-workers want to take me to a strip club These two guys keep talking about it (probley to get me worked up and mad) all the time, saying they are gonna get me loaded first and then there gonna get me a lap dance. I thought going to the grocery store was tough, this is gonna be a weird experience for me. Honestly the thought of getting a dance from a 40 year old woman who is probley using the money i give her for crack just isn't sexy to me any way you dice it. That was kinda off topic but hey its the internet. I can do what i want lul.
kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah there are people where I work who talk complete rubbish such as the latest celebrity gossip (I couldn't give a crap) and going into minute detail about what is in their sandwich for lunch and going on and on about how tasty the ingredients are. I thought to myself well shut up and eat it then. Another example is when I'm on the train. Some people seem to talk loudly about their most private business with a stranger next to them or on their mobile phone. An example of this recently was when two women were talking loudly to each other about childbirth and they were both trying to outdo each other as to who was in the worst pain and what pain relief they had to have. SHUT THE FLIP UP!
Fairydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think a lot of it has to do with boredom.
Peekyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

At least you know they aren't brooding about you in discomforting silence.
Zeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
I thought that people didn't talk to each other in London?
lol! It does happen some of the time - believe it or not!
Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

My dad is like this. I love him (I really do) but when he starts talking, he just won't stop. And it's always completely unnecessary talk. He will try and make a whole conversation out of the most meaningless and pointless stuff. And it doesn't matter whether you respond to him or not. You can sit there and not say a word in response and he will just keep going on and on. I hate going anywhere in the car with him because he has you cornered in there and you just don't have any choice but to sit there politely and quietly.

He doesn't realize how irritating it is, of course. He's not trying to get on my nerves. I know that. Which is why I can't say anything. He's the nicest person in the world. Just.......annoying.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Widow View Post
lol! It does happen some of the time - believe it or not!
Oh i just had the impression that people keep to themselves there. I live in a rural place and people are so nosey here! Everyone knows everyone and everything and it drives me mad!
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

I actually like being around people who talk a lot because then there's less pressure on me to talk.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

I can't stand extroverts. They bore the hell out of me. A large part of these have been at jobs where these people(the "why are you so quiet?, crowd) talk, talk, talk about useless crap. They can't shut the f*** up. This drives me up the wall!
BeachGaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote