X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default People that constantly text & ignore you

I'm so sick of it. Last time my friend, whom i hardly ever see, visits me and almost the whole time she is texting another friend . She does this quite a lot and I'm so annoyed I just wanna tell her to shove it where the sun don't shine. But she has been a good friend for many years, just really hurts my feelings.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is one of my pet peves. I know someone who did this to me and I think it's one of the most inconsiderate things in the world. She might as well physically say to you that you aren't as important as her other friend. Next time take the phone from her hands and throw it against the wall.
MattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

this is an incredibly rude thing to do. I think it's a latent message.

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
leonardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I'd love to smash that phone. How awesome would that be? Just to grab it, smash & just sit back down like nothing happened.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Last time my friend, whom i hardly ever see, visits me and almost the whole time she is texting another friend . She does this quite a lot and I'm so annoyed I just wanna tell her to shove it where the sun don't shine. But she has been a good friend for many years, just really hurts my feelings.
When they do that, I ignore them. I might go into another room, watch TV, or start working or whatever on my laptop. If they complain, I tell them that since they weren't interested in talking anyway, I thought I'd get on with other stuff. If they are not ashamed for it, I start gradually getting more and more cold towards them and eventually break the friendship.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is really very inconsiderate. Can't see why she visits you then. I once met a "friend", by chance, at a tram stop. When we got on the tram, he just took out his laptop and started to write something for his friend. Yeah, before doing so, he asked me if I minded. I said that I didn't mind, of course. He apparently considered talking to me as a loss of time and preferred to to use his time in a meaningful way. I felt quite hurt.
Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rude, and getting to be more and more common it seems.
Johnny_Genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a couple of friends who I see often (well often being once or twice a month) and they both do this.

For one it is her phone, she is always texting people. She even did this when we went to see a movie together.

However they both go on Facebook constantly. I will make the effort to go to their house for the night, to catch up and get out of my house, and they will spend a large amount of time talking to other people on Facebook, checking their Facebook, or updating their Facebook. Most of the time I am not involved in this browsing, I will just be sitting there.

It makes me feel like ****, and when I try to get them off it they verbally agree and continue to go on. I feel like I have to drag them off and that I'm rude for asking them to come back into the real world.

I hate Facebook.
birdwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think some people are just rude and clueless, but for others I think it's a power thing.

I used to have this friend who would always take personal calls whenever we would hang out. I have no issue with people texting around me, or taking a call if it's important...but she would get on the phone just to chat. She'd do it when we'd be out at a restaurant eating or whatever, and it was so awkward b/c I would just be sitting there while she was talking. She would always glance at me repeatedly while she was on the phone with this weird self-satisfied expression, and then after her conversation was over she'd make comments about what she was talking about as if she expected me to have been eavesdropping...it was very strange, and I've never known anyone else to act that way. I think maybe it gave her some sort of sense of importance/power, since she basically put me in a situation where I had to wait for her to finish, with no one else to talk to, while she participated in an outside conversation that didn't include me.

au Lait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey guys, first post here.

My problem, but of course this could be my paranoia, is that sometimes my friend takes a very long time to get back to my texts, but when i am with him, it seems he has all the time in the world to return peoples texts. Kind of a similar thing. I feel very ignored and insignificant, but we still usually enjoy eachothers company. Despite our friendship, i still often feel very insignificant to him.
FatLoser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I just wanna tell her to shove it where the sun don't shine
Ireland?

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo
Dub16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

im going through this right now. my "boyfriend" lives 2 hrs from me & we text constantly but we only talk 2-3 times aweek & when we do hes texting at the same time. i told him how i feel 2 days ago & he still wont discuss it w/ me. i think its rude & feel like hes not listening to me when hes doing that. ive brought it up b4 & he always has excuses. thanks for this thread because i always wonder if its just me!
tookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

I made a small poster, with a phone in a red no smoking sign, then underneath I put:
"Cellphones/computer devices are STRICTLY prohibited here, We have the right to remove them from you, and they will be confiscated if you engage in use of said devices.."

Then I hung this up above my doorway, lol I actually had to confiscate buddys phone the first time, but now he doenst bring it out anymore.
Stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

A few years ago, my husband told me that our (his really) friend had moved back to Oregon and that I should go visit her someday. I never really liked her to begin with. She's one of those that hype everything she does, outright lies about stupid crap and claimed her husband was a wife beater. She moved from WA, left her kids with her soon to be ex-husband and shacked up with some guy she met on Xbox Live.

So I go over there one day and she answers the door with the headpiece thing on talking into it while she is letting me in the house. She goes back into her bedroom and continues playing her game. I'm just standing in the middle of the living room thinking "Uh, do I make myself at home or what?"

Well after about 20 minutes, I quietly leave the house and shut the door. It took her another 3 hours to realize I was gone and got so mad that I left without saying goodbye