X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default People tell me that i always look angry/stressed.....

I can be wearing a calm/neutral expression and I still get people asking why do i always look so angry. It's really annoying to have girls walk up to me and say and that i have a cute face, and tell me that i should lighten up and smile more. I'm Black so alot of people seem to conclude that i'm some kind of gang member/drug dealer just by looking at me. I hate having to forcibly change my face to look happier just to please people.
Slayerblade11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Glo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerblade11 View Post
I can be wearing a calm/neutral expression and I still get people asking why do i always look so angry. It's really annoying to have girls walk up to me and say and that i have a cute face, and tell me that i should lighten up and smile more. I'm Black so alot of people seem to conclude that i'm some kind of gang member/drug dealer just by looking at me. I hate having to forcibly change my face to look happier just to please people.

I have this problem as well. I don't know if it's just my natural look due to all the pain I've been through in life or if it is just me naturally. Like the other day my mom was talking to my sister about how I am always scowling and I heard my sister agree with her ( they were on speaker phone ) I was like.. wtf should I do? shave off my eye-brows ? I think it is because I have dark/sharp eye brows so they make it look like i'm always pissed off or something... I dunno man.. not much I can really do I suppose..
Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I get this a lot too. This cafeteria guy I used to work with at the local hospital would always be on my a** about my expression. I would walk in there wanting some grub and have to listen to this jerk constantly berate me for not smiling more. "Oh, I can see you're being your usual cheerful self today" or "Why don't you smile more? It's not that hard." Then he asked my coworker behind my back, "Why hasn't your cheerfulness rubbed off on her? You'd think with her hanging around you all the time she'd be more bubbly." I don't understand people like that. I wanted to say back to him, "Just make me an omelette and STFU!"
Camryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

This happened to me not too long ago. One day this kid in my math class asked me "Are you okay? You always look annoyed or mad." And apparently I look sad a lot too.
naataliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I get this BS too. I have thick eyebrows and I guess I do scowl, but I think people need to shut the hell up. Because when someone says that to me, they are basically saying they do not approve of how I look. So I just started to tell people at my work to leave me alone when they say that. Now they think I am an as-hole that hates everyone. Which is kind if true, because a lot of the people at my job are fake and constantly talk crap about eachother behind their backs, so I don't really see the point in acting nice if they are just going to do the same to me. To me a job is a place to get money, not friends. Don't let it get to you and try to find ways of having fun on your own.

Just tell yourself that you look the way you do because you aren't a pod person with a phony customer service personality. And then laugh, because it is true.
MisterJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I get this too.

A few months ago i was in a bar and i got drunk enough to approach this girl who was looking at me. After a few mins of talking to her she said "your cute, but you seem angry", and i was like "wtf" and that pretty much killed the conversation.....
nemesis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe they tell you that because there is something about you they like but your stern look makes them feel nervous about approaching you. Maybe they even think you are an attractive person and they've seen you smile and when you smile you are even more attractive and they like that. Or maybe even it hurts them to see people who aren't happy, so they are trying to encourage you to be happier by giving you attention and encouraging you to smile.

nIdahoBeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, people will ask me "what's wrong, you look sad?" It gets annoying, seeing how it's just the way my face sets.
Madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't get "you look angry" but I get "you look sad" all the time. I can just be sitting there looking all normal and stuff, and people are like "are you okay? what's wrong? you look so sad." It's rather annoying sometimes because I really don't think I look sad at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

People always ask me why I'm about to cry...
And I've got into trouble for dirty looks I apparently give people without realising... like I'm disgusted by them or something
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

People tell me I look depressed
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

get this all the time man, i know how you feel. one time a guy told me in front of a whole room full of people, "you never look like you're having fun."

i had no idea what to say to that. everyone just looked away in embarrassment.
Perpetual Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

People say the same things to me. Maybe it's people in general who make me angry. When somebody treats me badly I will through it right back in there face. Turning the other check does no good. Treat others the same way they treat you. But, I alway had anger issues this can be related to a chemical inbalance in the brain too yeah know.
ChadsWick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

It can be hard to cover up your emotions. Women especially are good at seeing through it.

Sometimes I think I'm so used to be being stressed out that I forget that I am until someone points it out.
broseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Haha, people say "you look traumatized" maybe because they make me feel like that!!
SFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've concluded that if we hardly ever talk or try to cover up our emotions, then we're always going to have one facial expression which people will notice.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerblade11 View Post

I am having this kind of problem, everyone tell me that why I am so angry. Actually I am not angry but my face is just like that, and those ****ers who see me as angry is not knowing the reality. I am not telling that others are very rude they just tell/express their thoughts to me but i am annoyed . You know when I participated in a personality development program, mam told me that u have to smile otherwise everyone will be having a difficulty to come and talk with you( I mean a type of dislike).
Hello buddy u told that u r black ,even though I am not black i am getting dirty looks and expressions where ever I go. So u don't worry about your color. I am quite adjusted to my state(one thing I wanna tell u is that always be with your friends and be happy so that we will not be so bothered about people around us), hope u will be also fine.
AnonPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Haha. This one guy at the dining hall is always reminding me to smile and stuff. He's harmless though, and it usually puts me in a better mood for having him actually notice me
CandySays is offline   Reply With Quote