X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default People are rude to me for no reason

Chacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

what are you like in public? do you look tense and worried? its quite likely that something very usual is happening to you and that is people are ignorant and completely misunderstanding your anxiety and they think you are unfriendly or miserable looking so they act towards you in that way. its the worst thing because we are already feeling bad about being anxious\shy...
Some days, my darkest friend is me again
Have you ever
Someday I'll try again and not pretend
This time forever
Someday I'll get it straight but not today
Have you ever
Ron sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The same thing happens to me; it wasn't until recently a classmate mentioned that I always look angry or threatening - the problem is compounded because of my height.

Meh
anhedonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default People are rude to me for no reason

Hey, I know how you feel. Sometimes When I take the train or bus to work I will get a strange look and it makes me defensive like what are you looking at and I try to not let those things get to me cuz people tend to do that and I speak for myself as well. I know I don't look crazy so why are these people starring at me. And I think it comes with social anxiety and being very conscious of self the key I guess is not letting anyone's looks, stares, opinions etc..get the best of you. Which is something I struggle with
jluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

you could be hyper sensative thats been a problem with me. ask a friend to judge peoples reaction to you just to be sure.
345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhedonic View Post
The same thing happens to me; it wasn't until recently a classmate mentioned that I always look angry or threatening - the problem is compounded because of my height.

Meh
haha me to man, i look like i want to fight somebody 24/7
50piecesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I experience similar stuff. The staring really really really irritates me....to no end. Like i get looking....we all look at other people but just for an unconformable amount of time is just rude and it's annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhedonic View Post

Meh
I have this feeling that i look angry all the time too....and what's funny is i'm NOT angry all the time. But i think my face probably reads that.

InMyDreams55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

It happens to me all the time.
Double Indemnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

People r rude for no reason*

it's true.. that cashier isn't going to be anymore nicer to the next customer just look at it as an opportunity to smile and be nice 2 someone who is clearly going thro something
river1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I noticed it too. Sometimes, if people see that you look nervous or tense, they will stare and be rude to you in order to make you feel even worse. Human beings are sadists. Human beings get a sick, twisted thrill from causing harm to an already vulnerable person. People LOVE kicking others while they are down. They relish in the thought of causing another person to raise their pressure when they already look ****ING TENSE as it is.
Grapefruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapefruits View Post
Yeah, I noticed it too. Sometimes, if people see that you look nervous or tense, they will stare and be rude to you in order to make you feel even worse. Human beings are sadists. Human beings get a sick, twisted thrill from causing harm to an already vulnerable person. People LOVE kicking others while they are down. They relish in the thought of causing another person to raise their pressure when they already look ****ING TENSE as it is.
sounds fun
CaliSwaqq2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSwaqq2012 View Post
sounds fun
It's not. It causes permanent damage in some cases.
Grapefruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Look at yourself in the mirror when you are anxious, I bet you look angry, people will be much friendlier to you if you learn how to force a smile.
RelinquishedHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

I agree. I have this theory that people is more polite when you are rude, and rude when you are polite. I can say this based on personal empirical evidence.
centrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah I get this all the time, and that look from people as well. I went and got my nails done today, and the lady was really nice to the girl before me while she was doing her nails. I sat down and tried to have a conversation with her, and just gave one word answers and pretty much ignored me. Then when I was done and went to pay the cashier, another girl sat with her and she was friendly again. Although I don't think it's the social anxiety they sense on me, I think it's just the way that I look.
HopefulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

People are like that around me, too. They get all aggressive and defensive with me. :/
I notice this is especially true for people who seem insecure about themselves. So, in my case, I'm not sure this has much to do with me being anxious. If it does, it's probably because they can see how nervous I am (usually it's written all over my face) and they find it annoying (insensitive, I know).

In general, I think people are just pricks :/. Try not to let these people bother you. It wasn't the first time they'll show up and god damn it unfortunately won't be the last....and that's an unpleasant thought, I know. Just try to remind yourself that the problem is with these people and NOT with you.
teadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

At times, but I'm used of it though. I don't dwell on it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

happens to me all the time. I've gotten to the point where I'll just stare back at the person for fun. my attitude is, if they're going to be rude and make me uncomfortable I'm going to do the same right back. it's actually pretty amusing and has made me feel better about stuff like this, like I'm more in control.
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho View Post
Do you think social anxiety makes other people behave like jerks to you? Ever since I have social anxiety most people behave rude to me. I mean like most cashiers in the grocery store, bank employees, etc. It's not only in my head because they behave normal and even friendly to people before me so I'm not just imaging stuff.

Today I was walking around town to buy some stuff and while I was passing the bus stop an elderly woman stared at me like I'm a terrorist or something. She followed my motion with her head. Her face was like so I just got really mad. Does this ever happen to you? Should I ask them what are they staring at?
I was going to post something exactly like this today. Over the last few days people have been very rude to me as well. For example, two days ago my mom ordered pizza for dinner and I was going to pick up the food. My mother's name is Sharon so when I went to pick up the order I said "I have a pick up for Sharon". All the girl said was "okkkkkk that's interesting" in an attitude way. She actually thought my name was Sharon that's how stupid she was. I wanted to say something back really bad, but didn't. I wonder a lot as well if it's right to reply back to these people that say rude things and that make us angry.
Noely G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

I think a combination of me looking a bit young and social anxiety don't get me too much respect from people. A couple years back when working at a car detail shop, one of my co-workers out of the blue asked " are you a *** or something, cause I can't work with no ****" all because I didn't have a girlfriend for a few years.

It's not like I have a lisp or any gay tendencies for that matter. But then again, this guy was a nut anyway, and he was a recovering heroin and meth addict. Those months that I worked there only made my SA worse.