X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My mother taught me to hate my father

I think this is a huge reason I have social anxiety. It's long.

Like many children, I once had a healthy, loving relationship with my mother and father and family.

When I was about 5 years old my parents divorced. My brother and I lived with our mom. After the divorce, my mother taught me to HATE my father. Almost every day of my life she'd tell me one horrible thing after another that my father did to her. She'd tell me that he's a horrible father, that he doesn't care about me, that all he cares about is money, that he enables his brother and sister, allowing them to do drugs. I remember a she told me when she was pregnant with me, my mom and dad were at a store and she was crying for an air conditioner, sending the message that he doesn't care about his pregnant wife or unborn son. She'd tell me every day how much she hates him. She'd tell me that I'd better not end up like him. She taught me to treat him like a cash register. She'd tell me to get him to buy me things.

But my father is not a bad man. He goes to work every day in the steel mill and never complains. All these years the only thing he wanted was a relationship with me and my brother.

Not only did she teach me to hate my father, but she taught me to hate his family: my aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins. I used to love seeing them when I was very young. But then I learned to fear them. If my dad would bring me to see them (on the rare occasion) I'd cry and hide somewhere. I feared for my safety.

Even after all this, my mom would treat me as an idol. She'd tell me that she's a single mother and has to be the mother and father, and needs help. She'd call my father, often times in front of me, and scream and yell that she needs money, more and more money. My father would always give her money, but she'd still tell me how horrible he is. She made his life a living hell. And it was done in my name. This went on for years. When ever that were an argument in person, my mom would call me over, literally put me in between my parents while they argued, and hide behind me. My father would buy me all kinds of gifts apologize because of the situation.

But it gets worse. Throughout my childhood, my mother treated me like a girl. She bought me dolls. She completely villainized the male influence, telling me not be like my father. When a provocative looking female would appear on tv or a movie, she'd say something to the extent that I better not end up like that (interested in the provocative looking female); and when a male would appear in a provocative image, she'd say that's good. What better way to make her ex husband suffer than to turn his first born son queer?

My mom would always tell me (when I was a young child) that she has all these financial problems because she's a single mother and needs help. She'd tell me about her credit card debt, how she can't pay the rent, she won't get a tax return because it's going to her student loan dept, etc. All that burden was dumped on me. Meanwhile, she'd never hold on to a job. She'd get fired all the time, then take months off of work lying in bed all day high on prescription drugs she bought without insurance. When she was in bed, if I tried to talk to her she'd scream at me, "shut up," or, "**** off."

For one year, I was 13, we (me, brother, and mom) had to live with my grandparents. My mom lived in the basement, slept most the day, tell me she's depressed and hates her life, and never looked for a job. My grandma would speak up. Ask her why she divorced my father if she's living of his charity and not working. Saying how horrible it is to teach me to hate my father. The arguments were bad. Almost every night my mom would scream as loud as she could, screaming that she hates my grandmother. She'd throw me right in the middle and teach me to call my grandmother a "****ing *****." She'd teach me to be disrespectful and counterdict everything she said. I once had a healthy, loving relationship with my grandmother, but my mother taught me to hate her. My mom would tell me all the horrible things my grandmother has ever done to her throughout her childhood; just dumping all her mental problems from her childhood onto me. A 13 year old boy.

I was in middle school during this time. Since the male influence was villainized, I acted rather feminine. I was teased and harassed almost every day in middle school...I was called gay, ***, etc. No one ever taught me to stand up for myself or anything, so I just took it. I was so embarrassed and ashamed. There was no one to talk to about this. There was no help. Instead of acknowledging that this happened to me, I mostly accepted their words...that I'm worthless, a burden, stupid, etc.

When high school came around, my mom moved me to Michigan. I decided that the events in middle school would not happen again, so I pretty much alienated myself from day one, never daring to say anything, never daring to look at anyone. I would sit there quietly, do my work, then quickly leave when class was over. I made no friends...I didn't even try. Sometimes people would try to talk to me, but I figured that I'll only bring them down, so I would push them away, almost like I was protecting them from myself.

I had no self esteem. I thought my existence was the cause of my mom's money problems and stress. She wouldn't have to deal with my dad if I wasn't born. I was a total wuss, because my father wasn't able to teach me to be a man because I'd reject and resist everything he ever told me. My mother would tell me that she's the only one in the family who speaks the truth; that everyone else doesn't care about me. She tell me she hates her nursing job, but she has to do it because of me. I felt like a burden. She'd act like she's all high and mighty. Like she's the hero, there to save me from evil...But in the end, I was left sitting there, alone.

When I was a teenager, my uncle and aunt would take me to do activities or let me do work. It was a good thing. They even helped my mom get a rental property and give her money, which she never paid back. My mom didn't pay the rent, and, on the day she had to leave, she left a note saying she didn't pay the rent because she had to pay the gas bill and took too many days off of work because she was sick and in a fog and couldn't think. Before long, my mom started to tell me how awful my aunt and uncle are. That they're phony, don't get it, etc. Trying to destroy my relationships with them. But the truth is that my aunt and uncle can see right through her. They aren't fooled. But my mom would ALWAYS act like she's the victim.

In high school, my dad actually bought us a house. My mom never encouraged me; she'd threaten to embarrass me in front of everyone at school or give me to my dad and let him deal with me. I thought I was a burden to all, because my mother wouldn't have received any charity if I wasn't alive. I was terrified of people and relationships and love...I expected to just be thrown away. So in high school I had no friends. I would sit somewhere alone and quietly wait for the bell to ring. At home, my mother would often tease me. I got teased in middle school for being feminine, so being teased at home was very bad. My mom would dance around in front of me, dancing the most queer dances, and say, "com'on Mike, don't ya dance?" One time, she was pointing her finger at me and covering her mouth, hiding laughter...SHE WAS TEASING ME! Or she'd sing the most queer songs like, "Rainbow in my pock." She'd speak to me in the most stupid voices, never taking me seriously. She'd be more concerned with the welfare of the cat than my welfare.

When I was a senior, my mom when snooping through my room and found a straw because I was snorting cocaine. My mother hollered, then called me, "drug addict Jerry Lyn (the name of my father's sister who overdosed and died)," and that was that. When ever she asked me about doing drugs I'd say, "why the **** do you think I'm doing drugs?!"

After high school, I started to abuse drugs every day. I'd get high on whatever I got my hands on. I wanted to forget that I don't have a relationship with my father, even though my father always wanted a relationship with me, and doing drugs made my social anxiety go away...and it made an excuse for sitting there in silence...I'm too ****ed up to talk. I started shooting up heroin and meth and got hepatitis c. I overdosed on meth once. At another point, I ate datura and woke up in the hospital. When my mom came into the room, I started screaming and yelling at her, saying that she's worthless to me as a parent, telling her to get the **** out, etc...I was tripping balls in the hospital, so I told her specifically the things she did to me: like, taking my masculinity from me. They put me in the asylum for 9 days.

More below
whyyesyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I moved out to CA a few months ago. My mom would call me up and say that she hates living in Michigan, she has no friends, she'd depressed and hates her life, and doesn't know what to do. She moved out to CA. She got a job, worked for a week, then took 3 days off and got fired. Then she spent 3 months not looking for a job. She guilted my father into sending her $800. I was so pissed off.

In CA, I realized that my mother taught me to hate my father and I confronted her. I told her what she did and how it affected me. She said to me, "What do you want from me?" I was so shocked I didn't say anything. I told her that all her siblings know she's a horrible parent and that's why they don't like her. She lied in bed and cried for fifteen minutes. The next day I tried to talk to her again, because 15 years of suffering does not just go away. I was trying to talk about her teaching me to hate my father; she said, "Mike, I said I was sorry!" then she picked her teeth. I almost slapped her face. I left CA and came back to MI. Back to the old house. She'd call me demanding that I send her $2000 otherwise she'll be on the street. Frankly, I don't care. Living on the street is what she deserves. I've decided not to have anything to do with her until she completes therapy and pays for therapy for me and my brother. If she won't do that then she doesn't want a relationship with me.

After all this stuff, I learned not to trust people. I learned people will only hurt and abuse me. It's like everyone is part of some group and I also am excluded. Like I lack something.

I feel like my whole life has been a lie. My world is turning upside down. There are days when I cry. I'm 21 years old and haven't had a healthy relationship with anyone ever. I've only had drug buddies. I want friends. I want to live. I want to do things. I need some advice.

How do you make friends? What do you do? What do young people do together besides drugs? (I've been sober for a month...I quit all drugs) How do I get over the shame and fear of expressing myself? It seems to me the only thing I want to talk about is this, but it's not something appropriate to talk about with most people....What is there to do?!?
whyyesyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default adultchildren.org

See if you can relate
oopsiedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Your free to be yourslef now

Hi Dude,

Your Story rang close to my own experience, I'd say you had it somewhat rougher, but many of the experience you relayed I can directly relate to, My C**t of a mother tended to be more 'crafty' in her psychological twisting of the knife of her own bitterness, but can relate to a lot of your experinces and am sorry you are feeling and going through

You are however already doing the right thing, especially staying away from the drugs and the drug scene, it says a lot about your character, thats YOUR own, nothing to do with your parents or that crappy, truly dreadful set of experinces you had. It took me twenty years of Bad alcolholism and drug abuse to even realize I was in a mess and pull myslef out (nice and clean for several years now Yay!) but you have already made that realization and are acting on it, difficult though it is especially when cutting the ties can make you feel more socially isolated as the acquantences (not friends, I never found any real friends via drugs, just fellow mush-heads) you have have to go really. Again, more power to you for recognizing that. To be corny, but reach over your shoulder and pat yourself on the back, and realize the strenth of Character you have will get you through this to a better place.

Stick to your guns there buddy, stay strong, don't give in to despair if it raises it's head, and I'm sure you'll start to find things will gradulally fill in the gaps left by the turmoil and the drug abuse and will start to find the things you enjoy, which will lead to doing things out in the world (as a fellow poser said, gotta know what you like before you can do it!) which will lead to a friend or two (we're all lucky if we have one real friend sometimes in this world) which will lead to the life you deserve. one thread leads to another, and sometimes it;s hard to wait for those threads to connect, but they will.

Hang in there mate, keep doing what your doing. I sincerely hope you find a good life, it;s all ahead of you and thats a GOOD thing :0). All the best! Dont let your Mom grind you down, and re-connect with your dad if you can, a lotta healing can be had there.
ismreid66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Disclaimer: I didn't read any of this, I just saw the title, so my experience with this may or may not help.

My mother tried for years to make me hate my father (along with my grandmother and my aunt on her side of the family). My parents split when I was 4. All that happened, was I realized how wrong she was about everybody and now I hate her, I don't talk to her and this could be the first Christmas where I don't even have contact with her.

Things backfire on manipulative people.
PGVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Same thing happened with me only my father taught me to hate my mother. As I grew up, I realized what a jerk my father was. Although my mom isn't perfect I realize she isn't that bad.
InfiniteBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

omg dude, i'm sorry but you're mum really needs your support - it sounds like she's suffering from an abusive realtionship - and she is the vicitm of a lot of abuse .... trust me I know having gone through exactly what you have said - please do not ignore this message and continue reading if you want to get help and you want to get better ....

It sounds like your mum has gone through an abusive relationship withy our father, adn she has left him ... abusive partners can take away the other partners self-respect, self-worth and self-value and can degrade them until they feel like nothing, it sounds like your mother has been suffering a result of this - i appreciate you feel like you need someone to blame for all of this hate and disruption in your family - but i garentee you - it's not your mother's fault ... it's you fathers .... my father's exactly the same - the things is with people like that is that they're not consistent, they dont act the same with everyone - they act like perfectely innocent, harmless victims with some people, but to others (others he feels he has control over) he acts like an anbusive complete aresholes to ... I once thought that my dad was an innocent victim - and my mum was the reason for why our family was so messed up (I used to blame my mum too) ... but ever since i saw my dad for the abusive person he really is - is tarted to defend my mum in arguments and ever since then he has treated me with the same level of abuse (he hit me, strangle me, insulted me and a lot more) and i know it might be difficult to believe (im sure your father wasn't as bad as my father) but all i'm trying to say is don't blame your mum ... she needs your support and love
nevermindthesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

i have just read some more - and it looks like although your mother is living apart from your father - it looks like he still has some financial control over her ... try and see the situation from where she is comming from, the money she's asking for isn't for her - its for all of you ... i know it's easy to think that she's the one yelling at him - but what is she supposed to do - if she needs money for the family and for some reason he refuses to give it to her - how is she supposed to respond - just lie on the ground and let him not give her or you and money? ... you might think that she's making his life terrible - but you couldn't be more wrong (trust me my father's exactly the same to my mother... he refuses to give my mother a joint account - he does that so he has control over her - making him think that he can get away with whathever he likes with her, because at the end of the day - she cannot just get away from him because she needs his money to survive)
nevermindthesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow dude, I'm sorry.

I think you need counseling, and badly. You need to realize that it's okay to look at women and desire them, that it's okay to be a man, and that it's okay to have friends.

Your mom is really a horrible person.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Red face Something to think about

Do you know why your mom was so messed up? We all are screwed up by our parents...she probably was too. Not forgiving her behavior, but knowledge is power and forgiveness even more powerful.
Sparky4Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm new to this site, to if I accidentally step on toes, please accept my apologies. I'm both a mental health professional and one who has had problems with a degree of social anxiety. I can't provide therapy, but I may suggest some things that would direct you toward getting professional help.
With that in mind, read what I have to say below:
Children are badly damaged by parents who push the child to take sides against the absent parent. If the children are not trying to take the side of the absent parent and engaging in escalating arguments, they're drawn into believing that the parent they're with is right and the absent parent is the bad person. The story that was mentioned above from the socialanxietysupport.com setting is very like ones that I've heard of in my work with people as a therapist. The parent who was doing these polarizing behaviors with their children have emotional and personality problems that are deep set. The young man is correct in choosing to distance himself from the mother as she is totally unaware of how destructive she is, how off base her thinking is, and if she were made aware, is very likely to be in total denial, blaming everyone else for causing her problems or her behavior. The best that can be done in this kind of situation is begin working on issues like betrayal, letting go of the need to punish or exact revenge or some how getting the offending parent to understand and apologize for what they've done (or not done), and for the adult child to work on how to become the best person they can be despite what the parent had done to them. You may never get satisfaction from the offending parent. They may not have the ability to accept responsibility and make meaningful apologies. The best the adult child can do is to make healthy choices for themselves, give themselves permission to grieve about the parent that they should have had, and work to untangle what is really who they are as people from the convoluted/distorted self image that they had imposed on them by a person who should have been the caring, non-judgmental, parent who gave their child unconditional positive regard and rational/reasonable limit setting and boundaries and was far from all of those ideals. The important thing for the child victim of this, is that you have choices on how you can be, but it takes work to undo the damage--therapy, self help groups, self help books, diaries and a lot of unlearning of negative self image, self talk and self destructive behavioral patterns--all need to be worked on.
Lani s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am glad that I am not the only one who has suffered abuse at their mom's hands. But, these stories are truly tragic. Living with my single mom created boundary distortions for me. I never had any privacy and she told me all the time: "I know what you are thinking." I think that I was an inconvenience to her. She was emotionally manipulative and I cannot even begin to tell you how many hours that I spent alone growing up.

She also lied to me about who my biological father was growing up. A DNA test proved her lies wrong. Now, she has no idea who my father is. Aren't parents great?

I am just glad that I don't live with her anymore. Setting boundaries is now up to me. And, I no longer have to listen to her guilt trips. I just hope that one day this anger and desire for revenge against her dissipates. It is not helping anyone to be this angry especially me.
Michael127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

You have to be strong and move on.
Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi, I can relate to your situation.
I must say something in defense to your mother, because I'm looking same stuff everyday. Dont hate your mother, never hate her! She has her reasons you maybe dont know or understand.
I hated mine for so long, and then I finally find out what is my father like. Now I see him the same she sees him.
Be on her side. She maybe makes mistakes, but she was always there for you, isnt she? Dont let anybody insinuate anything bad about your her.

Tonight I'm sad, because I cant find the way out from my situation, from my relation with my father.
I would feel much relief if I helped you to see something more.

Greetings.
justme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

p.s. sorry about gram.mistakes. i dont know where is edit option here.
justme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

it wasn't just your mother teaching you to hate your father. western society teaches women its ok to belittle men
enlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

Narcissistic Mothers --- look it up

http://blog.thenarcissistinyourlife....e-to-hate.aspx

http://jacquilane.com/ask_jacqui/?p=105

http://www.zimbio.com/Domestic+Viole...+Supplies+Only

http://postcardstoanarcissist.wordpr...istic-mothers/
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

Children of Narcissistic Women are Ego Supplies Only

The narcissistic mother usually adores her son. The relationship is an unhealthy psychological bond between the two that has lasting and damaging effects in later life.

Usually, the NM has partnered with a man that will not challenge her. She has done this as a form of redress towards her own absent or authoritarian father. Whilst she maintains control in the relationship, she remains unfulfilled as a woman. Her attentions turn towards her son. She teaches her son from the earliest age, that he can do no wrong. He is the golden child and takes the psychological place of his father.

In effect, the NM grooms her son to fill the gaps in her relationship and whilst not sexually, it is almost seductive. She also hopes that in doing so, her son will go on to do great things and take care of her in later life.

The reverse happens. The son grows to detest women. He fears them. He knows that he is not all his mother had led him to believe. Out in the real world and away from his mothers influence, he flounders. He blames his mother for his lack of ability to stand his own with other men as he is now painfully aware that no-one taught him how to be a man.

He will choose a woman that has low or no self-esteem. He does this to preserve his fragile sense of importance. He may bully her because he fears one day she will leave him. In bullying her to believe that she is no good and lucky to have him, she will stay. He may be lucky to find a woman who gets him and loves him anyway. But, either way, he will miss out on forming an intimate bond with his mate and live out his life in emotional isolation and deep loneliness.

As for the NM, well, they’re hard to get rid of. Unless the son absolutely removes himself from his mothers influence, she will hang around her son for as long as and as often as she can. The contempt from her son as an adult will be comfortable and familiar to her as she is right back at home with her father.
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Smile I will pray for you.

Hi there,

My name is Robert after reading what you wrote I could not help but to respond as my now 11 year old son is been brainwashed by his mother to hate me. I am a good father that done everything for his child.

Never have I put a hand on my son I tried all with in my power to show him that I love him and will always be there for him but my son cannot see the truth in what his mother is like and what she have done to him.

For 3 long years now I have been from and to court with this woman as I am trying to get full custody of my son. He so call boy friend is a drug dealer he have hurt my son before as I write this I have the police report in front of me.

The Judge yet have not seen that but all the other times I went to court with this woman the system believes her over all the truth I have on paper about her, she have put my son's life in damger over this man. Yes young man I feel your pain not all father are bad fathers just like all mother are not bad mothers but when you have those that are the system protects them then its men like me that get tired of fighting when we fall on deff ears.

I see now why so many good fathers just walk away from someone that means the world to them. Its know way we can fight two liars the mother and the child, on top of that the system as well. My girl friend is one of the most loving person you ever want to meet.

My son mom teaches him that we are abusing him and he tells these doctors that we are abusing him when we do nothing but love him. I as a father can no longer take this there is a point when we just have to walk away, but for me when I walk away my door will never be open again.

I know that is hard and its hard for me to say but if you can't love me when you are young how can you love me when you are grown? We have missed the best years of our lives.

I am now 54 years old I will be in my 60's when he is grown. yes I feel your pain and its so wrong to put a child through that. Like every else I can only tell you to be strong do what you are doing stay away from drugs, let know one tell you, you are worth nothing you are some body. Youn are a child of God.

What your mother did to you one day it will come back to her, you can't do evil with out evil returning to you. I wish you the best of luck and remember you are some body
goodman3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Man it's hard for you, my mom is almost the same. She really have problem and instead she's channeling her insecurity on me. I really hated the b
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote