X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Misdiagnosed with Asperger's?

I was diagnosed with asperger's and i've always disagreed with the diagnosis. Just looking at the symptoms i know i don't have it but when i was getting evaluated the psychologist was basically ignoring everything i said and always listened to what my mother had to say and she kept molding her answers to every question he had.

I don't think it was fair because i wasn't being treated equal and at the time i had no idea what aspergers was so i really couldn't say anything then.

I think i have social anxiety disorder/social phobia and i'm lacking social skills because of it. Do i have to actually be diagnosed with that and if i ask to be re-evaluated can i tell the psychologist this?
Frosst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure how that works. I’ve avoided seeing a psychologist because I think that if I’m diagnosed with social anxiety (even though I know I have it) or anything else, it will make it more difficult for me to get better. It is definitely possible you were misdiagnosed. But, I think you should probably try a different psychologist…or a few, until you find one that will listen to you.
firefly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was to, though it was soon fixed. You could try to get a second oppion or appeal to the person who diagnosed you, demonstrating the ways you are not aspergas. Then again that label is so wide they often lump anyone even vaguely unsociable into it
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was diagnosed with Asperger's as well. This was after only a 5 minute meeting with a new psychiatrist.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a theory we're on the autistic SPECTRUM but the low end. We have some vague asperger like tendacies, people don't know what to make of it, so lump us into the box.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Damnation by design.

I was robbed of my life before it even began.

My mother choose to disguise child abuse with a cop-out... Child abuse leaves a signature in the brain and it was detected with an EEG. Child abuse is a learning disability in itself. It makes a person impulsive. Distant and depressed. You lose your empathy. Western "medicine" would rather view my state of mind as a genetic disorder. The root cause of my "disorder" arose out of my societal conditions, the origin of my symptoms/signature are the result of the family I was forced to live with, not the genes I was born with. Western "medicine" won't address the root cause of the problem when they can manage the symptoms for a life-time. A "customer" for life. A persons genes turn on or off relative to the environment they find themselves in, there is a genetic signature but it was written AFTER my birth. It's easy to see why a parent would choose to believe her children were ****ed up BEFORE they got their hands on it. To attribute it to fate rather than their own atrocious parenting. To absolve themselves of responsibility & guilt... And collect disability benefits.

The diagnoses dramatically changed my life. The social dynamic within the household and especially within the school (about 50 students, K-12). The school had decided in light of my recent diagnoses to promote the lady who had been scraping **** from toilets to my personal ball & chain. The newly promoted janitor was entrusted with near-absolute control of an abused child. This vile woman played an essential part in turning my existence into one of hopeless futility and endless stress... But I won't go into the details of my public molestation.

I was eleven years old, I lacked the communicative skills needed to adequately defend myself. My dissatisfaction with life was manifesting itself, and in a most counter-productive fashion. I would resist the subjugation to the best of my ability... passively, verbally and physically. Unfortunately, I had no way of rectifying the problem, in fact, everything I tried backfired and made it all worse. The "authorities" in my life decided that my brain really needed some strange chemicals. Those drugs only worsened my condition. My head was already ****ed up, why do I need to be a pharmaceutical companies lab-rat too?

For years since that diagnoses I was getting stress-induced nosebleeds at home and school. Almost daily. My blood-tests were consistently out of order. Turns out your body seriously can't function under constant stress. It breaks down, and fast. By the time I was 16, living under the constant stress, day after day, allowed Cancer to arise and to thrive. I know there are other contributing aspects, but in my case none are so prominent as the stress.

The original misdiagnoses (epilepsy and aspergers) was a death sentence. I was a helpless dependent and my greedy, manipulative parents fed me to the wolves. My entire life can be summarized with but a single word. Misery.

You parents have a responsibility, you better damn well think twice about the life-long consequences of your actions. At least 90% of parents think they aren't abusive and yet at least 90% of children are abused.
RobbedOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you tried seeing a different psychiatrist? And do not tell the new one what your old diagnosis was. See what they come up with. If two psychologists independently agree you have Aspergers it might be a true.