X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Messing up words/stuttering?

Ok does this happen to anyone else.. I really hope it does cause I always feel like the biggest loser when it happens..

I'll be talking and thinking so fast in my head that my words will come out jumbled/stuttered and then I have to either keep going and wait for the person to be like "what did you just say...(socially retarded person!)" or stop myself and apologize look like a fool and start over.. and most of the time it's not even anything gtound-breaking or important that i'm saying..

its just ridiculous.. on top of that I've always had a tendency to slur my words and talk fast and I'm aware of that.. but now its turning into occasional stuttering which I never had before and it makes me feel even more awkward

ahh I hate SA!!!
jordana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Messing up words/stuttering?

i mumble a lot. and when i talk i say a whole sentence as one whole word. its embarrassing, i hear people say "what did he say"...ihateS.A
ANCIENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea I mess up sentences all the time. I just shake my head and joke about it happens. I stutter when I get really nervous. Also mumble a lot. It's like impossible to understand anything I say Helps if you make yrself slow down. I usually don't think to do that until I totally jumble something I say and have to repeat it.
mserychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are times when I mess/mix up my words or I very occasionally stutter (hasn't happened in a while though...). I try to shrug it off and make a joke about having my tongue wrapped around my eye teeth so I can't see what I'm saying.. or something similar.

Most people don't even blink when I do that for some reason. But, on occasion, I do get weird looks

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea...i kindof mess up my words, i noticed i did it today, i like stumbled on a word, it was retarded....
--Mr. SandMan--
Mr. SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I talk fast a lot it's hard to control, so yeah I do end up slurring my words =(
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Occasionally that happens, sometimes it's the wrong word, or two words back to front
Yes it can be quite embarrassing, but hey people who don't have SA do it too, it may not be as bad as a person who has SA but it does also happen to a lot of people without SA, I usually tell them Im really tired and that's why I blooped or sometimes I just don't say anything and just correct myself and keep going, these things happen. I knew this lady who doesn't have SA and stuffed up what she wanted to say to her daughter, she wanted her daughter to put her schoolbag in the boot but instead of telling her daughter to put her schoolbag in the boot she told her daughter to put her little brother in the boot!!
See you don't have to have SA to stuff up your words.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I talk really fast and quietly and and my SA makes me sort of sound like I have an accent when I get especially nervous.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I tend to slur my speech alot...I've noticed it happens whenever I am tired, overwhelmed, confused, or bored. Whenever I do it I always wonder what the other person is thinking, such as "Is he a retard or something?" or "He must be really weird" which makes the SA even worse.

When I am writing my thoughts out however I notice that I come across much clearer and precise. I am not that dumb after all!
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordana
Ok does this happen to anyone else.. I really hope it does cause I always feel like the biggest loser when it happens..
its only the dance of energy...let it express itself however it wants...dont be a dictator

energy >> << you

^^ thats what happens when you judge

Sig Status: God Level
inna sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't stutter I just manage to screw up my entire sentence.

PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!!!

Where he at? Where he at? Where he at?

█ No, seriously where he at? █

Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

yes I stutter, stammer, and slur my words off and on. Sometimes I think it has stopped, but it always creeps up on me, usually once a week. It's so embarrassing it's painful. When I'm depressed and tired it is worse. Never had this problem as a kid at all. This is a total product of anxiety. SA has messed up my entire life. There is nothing it hasn't touched.
nesteroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteroff
yes I stutter, stammer, and slur my words off and on. Sometimes I think it has stopped, but it always creeps up on me, usually once a week. It's so embarrassing it's painful. When I'm depressed and tired it is worse. Never had this problem as a kid at all. This is a total product of anxiety. SA has messed up my entire life. There is nothing it hasn't touched.
same here! I mean I always slurred my words together when I was younger.. but never stuttered.. now I do it all the time.. (well not all the time but alot) It's just so embarassing.. I always feel like I'm apologizing for not being able to speak like a normal human being.

Or when I say the complete opposite of what I should like "thank you" for "your welcome" or vice versa. It actually took me a really really pathetically long time to be able to say my own name right...hows that for utterly ridiculous? Its cause I slur my words it would sound like "joanna" or "jeh-dana" or "juliana" or some weird thing instead of JORDANA.. now I enunciate more so its clearer.. but literally took me years....

I think I win the loser award on that one!!
jordana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
It actually took me a really really pathetically long time to be able to say my own name right.
I think I may have to battle you for that loser award. Last night I was trying to set up my voicemail on my cell and when I said my name and had it played back to me, it sounded horrible. Janice ended up sounding like Shannon. I felt like my teeth were too big for my mouth or something...and I kept trying like 50 times and just gave up. I wanted to cry....

I dunno, sometimes I enunciate well....sometimes I don't. I stutter/slur as well. Usually when I'm being stared at, or im nervous, or mad etc. Ugh, I can't stand it!
bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
99x

I sometimes have to repeat words because I'll get tongue tied and have to repeat a word I would normally have no problem saying like 3 or 4 times. Also when I talk to teachers, bosses, or someone I like my voice starts to crack or sounds strained I guess. My doctor says its pretty common among SA people because its the muscles that control your vocal cords tighten up
99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I hate that sooooooooo much. I had to train a knew employe and she kept say, what did you say...I felt so stupid
svrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

I recently stumbled through a presentation I had to make. I pretty much froze up and started to stuttered pretty badly. More so than usual. I don't know why. Needless to say, I was pretty embarrassed when it was done.

But yeah, sometimes I do stutter in regular conversation. I hate it when that happens. I try not to dwell on it, cause once it's done, I can't do anything to change it.
Now, now, darliní
Oh donít lose your head
'Cause none of us were angels
And you know I love you, yeah

ilikeshinythings274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah, I have this problem. It's embarrassing... However, when I'm talking to myself out loud it always comes out right. I sound like an angel.
thecurerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lol, I did get asked if I was Canadian once, because of the way I spoke... by someone born in Canada. Then in my native speakers Spanish class the teacher asked me if I had an Irish accent after an oral exam. I slur my words together, especially when I try to talk more loudly and speak quickly (or at least everyone else thinks so).
uzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah, I think part of the reason why I feel like people ignore me when I'm talking to them is because I mumble. All the time. And then I talk really fast and trip over my words. Plus, when I'm saying something, even though I'm positive the person I'm talking to does NOT want to hear it, I don't even finish my sentences. Not a good thing.
bauer_013 is offline   Reply With Quote