Love to read...but can't seem to remember anything I do read - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Love to read...but can't seem to remember anything I do read

This is my first post on this forum...so sorry if this is a little bit hard to understand.

Does anyone else love reading, only to find that they can't really remember what they read? I think that it's because of the SA. Something in the back of my mind that is always being critical, and that therefore prevents me from really enjoying, and absorbing the book. It's frustrating because reading is the only thing I enjoy, and I would love to be able to talk about what I read with people, if only I could remember it...

If anyone has had this happen to them, did it get better when they started reading more frequently? Or should I just forget about it and just value reading as something private that I shouldn't bring up with anyone else? I would love to get a few responses, because I don't want to give up on the one thing I really enjoy.

Oh, and does anyone find that writing helps them with their reading? As in they are able to understand what they read more fully if they are involved in writing themselves?
tangerinedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah I sometimes forget what i read when reading in class and then we have to discuss about it afterwards. I just cannot concentrate reading in front of people.
nycdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey nycdude,

Yeah I have that problem as well, it's so frustrating... That's why my classes in college where horrible, especially sections. I could never focus on what was actually going on, just on the anxieties that filled my whole body with dread...that's how lots of things in my life go
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

YES! I hate it. I remember reading this book for class and I read the first chapter 3 times and I still didn't remember stuff. =[

But it's not only with books, but it's with everything else. There are many times where I'm with a friend and he would go talk to someone (he always runs into people he knows) and when he comes back, he is like, "Oh, that was Todd" and I'm like, "Oh, I don't know him" and he replies, "dude, you were at his house, and you talked to him for a while" and i'm like, "Whaaa, really? lol".

It also happens with movies, shows and ANIME. I would be watching my anime and like a few episodes down I'm like, "Wait, who is that.. wait, what's his name again? Who the hells is (insert name)?? Oh it's that guy!" -__ - something is wrong with me.. which is the reason I always forget what I learn. What is it?? why is this happening!
vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

up front i'll say yes.

but i'm curious at which level you forget.
is it,
a) when you finish the book, you slowly forget the details.
b) when you finish the book, you remember the details, but didn't catch on to any "point."
c) you enjoy chapter 2, despite the fact you don't remember anything that happened from chapter 1.
d) as you read each sentence, you forget the last.

i can be both b and d.
my friend had me sit through all the star wars movies.
i wanna say with that, i was closest to "d." i was watching but honestly could not discuss the movie in any sort nor remember who was who.

sometimes i feel i have ADD on top of SAD.
josen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say I experience a, b, and c. I also get that way with movies, which usually leads to a bad mood right when the movie ends because I don't want to admit that I don't feel like I can discuss what went on in the movie. Do you think it's just the anxiety that inhibits us from fully enjoying it so that our brains can't really retain any of the information?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also, I'm really envious of people who can read and grasp/remember everything they do read...I obsess about this and wish my brain was that capable
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the same problem too. Currently, I have been watching D. Gray-man (an anime), on episode 26, and I still don't really know what's going on. I am unable to concentrate.

Pangur Ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

i couldn't speak for you,
but for me i think it's due to a side effect branching from SAD. my mind is comstantly going either thinking about something really good that happened or something really bad that happened.

for me, the block is definitely during, and my memory isn't erased after the fact.
another one is i watched avatar and i can't remember a single scene from that movie.

i'm so envious of people that can quote the movie the whole way home.
josen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I sometimes have the same difficulties.

And sometimes I think it might be psychopsychological, my personal problems and life time of struggles with SAD and the inability to seek and find consolation and help perhaps outweighs the relevancy of the book's message.

I live with constant loneliness and instead perhaps relating to a book's theme or message its power is diminished. I don't know how to explain it. If I fail to relate to it or fail to be impacted by its relevancy, or simply overlook both points because I have undergone so much unrelenting total emotional battering and abuse at the hands of my SAD that I've become insensitive. My life is a ****n sad SAD memoir in of itself.

My latest literary obsession is history anyways and don't think I am going to look back much anymore. I wished I would have pursued this much earlier in life than "irrelevant" fiction. History kicks *** I might add.

But there could be proponents of ADD involved.

I do fine writing reviews of movies but yes I kinda envy the intellectual that can get into these deep discussions on books and expound upon its brilliance or its weaknesses.
Bloody Pit Of Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangur Ban View Post
I have the same problem too. Currently, I have been watching D. Gray-man (an anime), on episode 26, and I still don't really know what's going on. I am unable to concentrate.
D. Gray-Man was boring for me on the first few episodes and I was lost to what was going on. But it later started getting good.
vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
D. Gray-Man was boring for me on the first few episodes and I was lost to what was going on. But it later started getting good.
Yeah, I thought so too. It's okay, definitely not the greatest.

Pangur Ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah, same here. Big time. And it frustrates me terribly. Though I think it's an ADD thing, not an SA thing (for me at least).

I like to read with pencil in hand and mark/underline passages or make marginal notes. Doesn't really help my long-term memory much, but it at least helps me stay better focused while I'm reading (a little bit, anyway).
anonymid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you're talking about books, write your thoughts on the margins and/or jot down the notable stuff on a notepad.

Do you spend a lot of time on the Internet or multitasking (like having the tv on and surfing the net while doing work)? These make it more difficult to remember what you read.

emptybottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default cant remember ****

Yes, I absolutely have a difficult time reading often thinking that I am stupid because i cant seem to retain everything I read. In thinking about it, I believe there is a correlation in that I am being obsessive about details rather than just getting the theme, ideas from whatever I am reading.. Its not practical to literally memorize verbatim and for some wacky reason, thats what has been eating away at me. I am glad you mentioned it as its a source of stress for me too.
davidphila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

I love to read also, and there was a time I had read 5 or 6 books in less then 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I couldn't ?! So I though I was burned out LOL and stopped for a while but weeks turned into months and I just couldn't concentrate. I would read and it made no sense, I need quiet when reading and it was and it still didn't work . So I looked up thunderstorms sounds online, and it wasn't to loud mostly rain and it worked. I was finally able to concentrate when reading again . I haven't done much reading in the last 5 months since its been so crazy here. But it worked.
Cole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole87 View Post
I love to read also, and there was a time I had read 5 or 6 books in less then 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I couldn't ?! So I though I was burned out LOL and stopped for a while but weeks turned into months and I just couldn't concentrate. I would read and it made no sense, I need quiet when reading and it was and it still didn't work . So I looked up thunderstorms sounds online, and it wasn't to loud mostly rain and it worked. I was finally able to concentrate when reading again . I haven't done much reading in the last 5 months since its been so crazy here. But it worked.
Maybe change up the subject. I can rarely read fiction these days. Even tho fiction can have a message, a moral, or a theme. It is not real or didnt happen, it is all conceived in the author's imagination afterall.

But I absolutely love history now as long as the book isnt textbook dry and dull. Try Roger Crowley for instance, he wrote about the siege of Constantinople of the Byzantines by the sultan Mehmet II and Ottomans in the 15th Century, and wrote about the battle for sea supremancy in Mediterranean between Mehmet's great-grandson Sulieman the Magnificent against the King of Spain Charles the V and his successor Philip II in the 16th Century. Both books are brisk and lively accounts between 260-290 pages respectively. He has written a third book out in stores in the UK and due to hit stores in the States next year.

http://www.rogercrowley.co.uk/

It may not excercise one's memory per se but personally I find that can start and finish a book now because the book has a great deal more relevance and importance.
Bloody Pit Of Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Weird i thought reading helps for SA , i find reading relaxing and easy,maybe its in my genes :P my mother read alot her parents both and my grandmothers relatives where teachers , the only time i had problem reading was i read yesterday night and i was very sleepy and i barely read the last 3 pages and in the morning i had to read them again
Sanctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinedreams View Post
I also get that way with movies, which usually leads to a bad mood right when the movie ends because I don't want to admit that I don't feel like I can discuss what went on in the movie.
OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never come across anyone who that happens to. I usually refuse to comment on a movie after watching one other than "yeah it was good"... While other people are like "Oh yeah the scene where they did this and he said that and they said this and then this happened..."

The only exception is when it's something that's completely taken my focus out of the movie. Like say on the superbly rare occasion that I notice a movie goof, I'll be thinking about that goof rather than the movie so I'll remember it.

Actually come to think of it, it might be a mild hypnotic state (where you basically "lose yourself" in the movie and experience it as it happens, somehow switching off the processing part of your mind)... That's the most awesome theory for it I've come up with lol
SuperSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

I can't seem to finish a book these days... : (
The days go on and on... they don't end. All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people. - Travis Bickle
intheshadows is offline   Reply With Quote