X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Learning to Drive when Older

Im 20 years old and have not learned to drive. Anyone my age or older jus now learning to drive or going to. I loved to hear about it. Or how about doing so. thanks
55HarMonY55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got my license 3 days before my 25th birthday. I was terrified of the DMV.

Get a driving instructor.
I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder beginning at age 13, and avoidant personality disorder at 18. Both have been overcome by age 25. It wasn't easy, it wasn't quick. The hard work in facing my fears, scrutinizing my perceptions became less hard than living in fear and avoidance.
"The jump is so frightening between where I am and where I want to be. Because of all I may become, I will close my eyes and leap."
surrender to nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm 21 and still don't know how to drive.

I went behind the wheel a couple of times at 15, much to my begging my mom to teach me, but she was reluctant. Then less money came in and I couldn't afford lessons or knew anyone (thanks to my wonderful SA) who could teach me.

I basically rely on either my legs or the bus for transportation. I'm hoping to learn to drive when I'm financially able to afford a car. When? I don't know.
Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrender to nothing View Post
I got my license 3 days before my 25th birthday. I was terrified of the DMV.

Get a driving instructor.
You got an instructor, how was that? How much was it for lessons?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

The cost was quite expensive, I'm not sure the exact amount - at least $45 an hour. Look around in your area, some instructors offer discounts if you get, say, 10 lessons.

It was a really good decision. Not only did having an instructor relieve much of my anxiety (he drove me to the DMV to take the driving test, and went in with me), it gave me the motivation to actually drive.

He told me there are many, many people much older than myself who are leery when it comes to driving, and therefore have put off getting a license. So finding an instructor who deals with the anxious and is understanding shouldn't be too difficult.
surrender to nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Now how does the whole instructor thing work, do u need ur own car? if so theres my problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

the provide there own car.the passenger side the instructor is in has brake and gas pedals also.
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I still don't know a thing about driving.
"This is what's wrong with the world. Everything is explained now. We live in an age when you say casually to somebody 'What's the story on that?' and they can run to the computer and tell you within five seconds. That's fine, but sometimes I'd just as soon continue wondering. We have a deficit of wonder right now."
-Tom Waits

Fantas Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm almost 29 and still don't have my driver's license. It's embarrassing.
"Now, typically I wear pajamas, but I recently adopted a hobo lifestyle and pajamas are the sleep-pants of the Man. I'll have you know, Mahatma Gandhi wore no pants and a nation rallied behind him!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory
DeeperUnderstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm 23 and don't have my license yet - I've probably driven only a handful of times, mostly in parking lots. It sucks not having a license but even if I do get mine soon I can't even afford a car. I still want to get my license though by at least spring of next year and just be a casual driver (using my relatives' cars) until I get my own someday. I want to take driver's ed first though.
kilgoretrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm almost 17 and because of my SA I can't drive or even take the classes and I am terrified beyond anything. It's pretty embarrassing as I am the only one of my friends who can't and how I wonder how I will get to college next year or just anywhere. My external family is always bothering me about learning to drive but I'm just not ready. It sucks
Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

I learned how to drive when I was 29. It sucked big time cause my instructors were total *******s. Well not really, but they couldn't deal with my SA and hated me for having it, **** them.

Anyway, it wasn't easy because of my SA, I passed the 3rd time. Now I drive like a maniac. Well not really, but kinda, it's fun

Definately worth getting your licence! Your world becomes bigger when you have a car.
JP999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

I didn't get my license until I was 22. It didn't really occur to me at the time, but I guess the reason I was so scared of driving was because you initially have to drive with someone else in the car with you, watching your every move. Once I was finally able to drive on my own I got real comfortable with it really fast.

It's amazing how so many of my problems throughout my life tie into SAD somehow.
Peanutbutter Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter Toast View Post
I didn't get my license until I was 22. It didn't really occur to me at the time, but I guess the reason I was so scared of driving was because you initially have to drive with someone else in the car with you, watching your every move. Once I was finally able to drive on my own I got real comfortable with it really fast.

It's amazing how so many of my problems throughout my life tie into SAD somehow.
Do u still need a permit to drive first, even if ur older?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I started driving at 18. Was never scared, but it took until a few months ago to take the driving test. Just couldn't be bothered to take it before. Probably depression or something. It was always embarrassing to tell people I didn't have a license. I used to walk or take the bike everywhere. I still prefer walking.
Aeroflot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Where I grew up, people were practically born driving pickups or tractors or whatever other yokel-appropriate vehicle they could find. It certainly made me feel strange, then, to be 20 years old and still getting rides from people.

I didn't get my full licence until I was 24 or so. Drivers' ed was a weird experience, particularly the in-class part. I've never enjoyed being surrounded by 15-year-olds, you know? And I felt like such a dork being in my early 20s and only just starting to learn how to drive. But then I discovered that all kinds of people, generally in less rural and/or less privileged locations than my hometown, never actually learn to drive. Or they learn when they're older. So I kind of relaxed about it.

Driving still freaks me out and I don't think I'm great at it, but I'm really glad that I got my licence when I did.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I got my license this year at the age of 26. I took a driving class that costed 300$. I'm still pretty scared to drive actually, but since I am moving away from my family into my own place permanently I have no choice but to get over it. I haven't really driven that much, but I have a month to get more comfortable before moving in August. I just bought my first car too.

I understand that it's embarrassing, and makes you feel a little out of place (when i went to get insurance on my car the lady looked at me like I was an alien when I told her I just now learned to drive) But the sooner you conquer it and get it done with the better. I found my driving class by searching on Google, so you might try to find one in your area. They give you a discount on car insurance if you take a driving class sometimes..

You are not alone in being older and learning to drive actually. My instructor told me he had people from 15 to 60 years old as student before.
Sindelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55HarMonY55 View Post
Now how does the whole instructor thing work, do u need ur own car? if so theres my problem.
The class had its own cars, with an emergency brake to stop if you get into trouble. I had to have my permit before driving in them though, so go take the written test and get a permit before entering a class.

They were very understanding of my anxiety problem, and the guy told me when I get my car he would help me learn to parallel park for free since we didn't have time for that before I took my test. I took the test with the driving class, and then took a letter from them to the DMV who issued my license.

I drove 6 hours total in the class, which was enough for me to learn the rules of the road, but I'll still have to be careful. It was a good decision though. BTW the oldest person in there besides me was 19, so at 20 you aren't so weird. Believe me.
Sindelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

22 and I've never been behind a wheel.
Doesn't help that I have no one to teach me, oh well probably get round to it one day.

Diacetylmorphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersTale View Post
I'm almost 29 and still don't have my driver's license. It's embarrassing.
Same, but I can't see well enough to drive either. (I don't have very good peripheral vision, I can see about 40 degrees on each side of my head when I'm looking straight ahead. That's all. So needless to say if I turn my head to see what's going on to the side of me I can't see in the front.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote