X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just Fought with My Dad

I'm tired of being yelled at for doing simple mistakes. Just because i forgot to close the fence when i went outside my dad yelled at me like i just killed someone, he does this all the time, i'm sick of his bad temper so i yelled back and call him names, and he hasn't talked nor responded to me anymore since then. I know i'm wrong in this, but my patience is just growing thin, i just couldn't help it...

Just needs to vent. I really need a friend in depressing situations like this but sadly i have nobody....
Mister Mxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't like people who yells when angry. I'd break down and accept every false accusation just to make the person stop yelling/ease their anger. I don't know what's right to say, sorry... You'll feel better later. I hope you do.
skygazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

*hugs*
I'm your friend!
Starch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sure there are more important things in the world than closing the fence. Geez, imagine his reaction if it truly were a big deal of some kind. When I was growing up, my dad was like this. I understand the position you are in and the quicker you can remove yourself from the situation, the better - simply because it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks...like how to discipline without yelling all of the time.

Are you thinking of moving out on your own soon?

"Surrounded"
RockIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe your both in the wrong, you both over reacted.

Why not try to talk to your dad say that you don't like the way he shouts at you over little things, im sure if he knew that it upsets you he would try to calm it down.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Closing the fence causes a complete breakdown of communication on both sides.

The fence won - it got the most attention.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

maaan I though you were beating up your asses (judging by the name of the topic) when in fact you only yelled at each other... but yelling it's probably normal but it's not the right way definitely, trust me I know my family screams all the time
CompanionLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mxyzptlk View Post
I'm tired of being yelled at for doing simple mistakes. Just because i forgot to close the fence when i went outside my dad yelled at me like i just killed someone, he does this all the time, i'm sick of his bad temper so i yelled back and call him names, and he hasn't talked nor responded to me anymore since then. I know i'm wrong in this, but my patience is just growing thin, i just couldn't help it...

Just needs to vent. I really need a friend in depressing situations like this but sadly i have nobody....
My father used to call the police on me in fights that he started. I didn't even hit him or nothing, just yell and punch walls.
Misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

My father and I were the same way. Actually both parents were. It's possible that your dad feels the only way you hear him is when he yells at you. You should respond to him in a calm demeanor and admit you are wrong when you are wrong, even if he shouldn't yell at you. Your dad yelling at you may mean that he is expecting the same response. Next time your dad yells at you try responding in a normal voice and apologize, it will catch your dad off guard and make him feel guilty for raising his voice. It worked for me
Skysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

OMG my Mom treats me like this all the time, all day! I spill water by accident and she screams at the top of her lungs and says nasty degrating stuff and tells me clean it up right away. I'm like Mom, it's just water, and i'll wipe it up with a paper towel. She'll take glass cleaner and bleach and scrub the floor to clean it! I'm 25, not some little kid, she treats me like a baby that doesnt know anything. At least your Dad doesnt follow you around after, my Mom follows me if I ignore her and will bang on my bedroom door if I go in and lock it to get away from her.

Mabye your Dad would like my Mom lol. I feel for you.

She is crazy, but she is always reprimanding me for idiodic stuff. I want to move away from her so badly she is annoying now....
keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
OMG my Mom treats me like this all the time, all day! I spill water by accident and she screams at the top of her lungs and says nasty degrating stuff and tells me clean it up right away. I'm like Mom, it's just water, and i'll wipe it up with a paper towel. She'll take glass cleaner and bleach and scrub the floor to clean it! I'm 25, not some little kid, she treats me like a baby that doesnt know anything. At least your Dad doesnt follow you around after, my Mom follows me if I ignore her and will bang on my bedroom door if I go in and lock it to get away from her.

Mabye your Dad would like my Mom lol. I feel for you.

She is crazy, but she is always reprimanding me for idiodic stuff. I want to move away from her so badly she is annoying now....
I have the same kind of relationship with my my mom.

When you are over the age of 18 and continue to live with your parents, your relationship with them will suffer severely (especially with your mom if you are a man).

The only way to solve the problem is to move out but that can be hard to do if you can't land a job that pays 25-30k per year.
KennethJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

You might feel better if you apologized and talked things out. Maybe you point out that his flipping out does more harm than good.
pjm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

There isn't a day that goes by where my dad doesn't scream at me and make me feel worthless. I know how you feel. I can't stand my parents.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Amazing how some parents treat their kids, in a way that they wouldn't treat strangers.
Bullies, cowards.
WTFnooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

I physically fought my dad yesterday and I just cant keep the thoughts out my head now.
Me and my family haven't been getting along too well recently and everything has been so tense around the house. my parent's passive aggressiveness drives me crazy sometimes and all I want to do is scream obscenities at them, which in most cases, I do. Dont get me wrong Im not getting mad for no reason at all, Im getting mad for things that I think could easily let go, but not so easily let go when we're both at this elevated passive anger. I dont wanna be that bratty kid but I have a low spectrum of autism and sometimes things come out with complete different intentions than what everyone else sees. Anyways we had this little argument, I having training from a psychotherapist and I employed one of his tricks and walked away to my room to calm down. But then my dad comes to my room, and he knows about the method that I was applying, yet he still came to my door and ranted off on a different subject. To which, my only reaction was to scream louder than him to get it through to his thick skull that I was calming down. Then he walks towards me menacingly and grabs me, starts wrestling me to the floor and pins me down. I was scared ****less and reacted really late, thankfully because I didnt want to actually fight him. my reaction was just resisting his bear hug and after breaking a few things in my room he stopped and we both looked at each other and I said :" what the hell was that". totally uncalled for, I've threatened my dad to punch him before in the past but I never would hit, ever. Nor did I in this altercation which proves that even when Im at raging levels, Im still a *****. which is fine with me in this situation, I just wished I wouldnt of been an ******* with my parents and call them horrible names like I did. maybe all of this couldve been avoided, I just needed to vent more than someone's opinion, but every opinion is welcomed obviously
buddyeric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

@Buddyeric2

It's an intimidation tactic used to maintain compliance and control. I tried walking away from my parents when I was a teenager and was commanded to sit in on yet another lecture. When I continued to my room (my place of sanity and zen) I was followed by my mom or dad or both to receive another emotional beating. As they continued to verbally abuse and threaten. I would remain mute as long as i could until they finally found something that would trigger me. I would finally go off and lash back and it would be total chaos. My dad would physically assault me by grabbing me or getting in my face and glare. I'd shove him back and he'd get right back in my face. All the while my mom screaming. My dad would brush shoulders with me, strip things out of my hands and beat the s*** out of me with his belt. Yea I was intimidated. Now that im 25, id like to see him try that again. But like you its hard to know exactly what to do in those situations, it's just hard to think period. My advice is to keep your head down and get out of there as soon as you can afford an apartment. As long as you are under their roof and jurisdiction the chaos will continue. Dont engaged physically, unless you are mentally and physically prepared to do so. If you are assaulted, call the cops. They'll take care of the situation real quick.

Stay strong brother.
Courage18 is offline   Reply With Quote