X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've totally wasted my youth

It's just now hit me like a ton of bricks how many opportunities I've let pass me by. I've never been so regretful yet hopeful at the same time, because now I'm willing to do anything, to hell with SA.

Anyone else feel this way?
shadowmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know how you feel. I'm only 26 and I feel like I wasted my entire youth hiding away. I am now realizing just how many oppurtunities I've let pass me by. It's depressing, however I am trying not to let that hold me back from the new oppurtunities that come my way.
ninjagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel like a lot of the things that SA may have held me back from when i was in say high school(2 or 3 years ago) was mostly the social aspects.

I don't regret not dating in high school because it always leads to drama and everyone is immature anyway. Besides dating in college is sooooo much better. I don't regret being crazy and wild and doing things i would have regret like getting slammed at some random party or getting some girl pregnant. Because i am christian and have strong beliefs i feel as though SA did not hurt me in anyway besides losing some of the social experience i could have benefited from when starting college.

If you are still in your early twenties i would say that you only missed out on a few stupid things and you still have time to have a great time without having the baggage.

If you really feel like you are wasting your youth at the moment even as we post on this forum, then that should be your greatest motivation to beat the hell out of SA and move on to bigger, better, and more important things in life.

Nick
Old 12-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTro View Post
If you really feel like you are wasting your youth at the moment even as we post on this forum, then that should be your greatest motivation to beat the hell out of SA and move on to bigger, better, and more important things in life.
You'd think...
Cosmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Checking in. I feel like I wasted my teens and college years. Time to move forward and let go of the past. How many more years are you going to waste?
freshjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feel like I've wasted my youth, too.

Thinking of all the things I missed out on because of my social anxiety is really depressing.
Some things I still have time to make up for...but other opportunities are gone.

I wish I could stop "wasting" my time.

The best thing about not knowing where you are
going is that all roads lead there.
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

The worst part is the fact that I never did anything crazy, so it's all still in my system. I can't give all the impulsive, immature stuff I'd like to do an outlet, unless I want people to think I'm insane. Most of them do already though, so...
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Everyone tells me I'm still young and I'm 30 and probably worse off then you. i turned 30 this October and it hit me too like a ton of bricks. I regret so much but I also feel hopeful for my future. Just start small. A friend told me baby steps. I've started taking walks almost everyday. I'm not going anywhere but I'm outside. I feel like giving up all the time but I'm not going to let myself. Don't quit but don't rush yourself. I've been trying to go too far too fast and its taking a toll on my health. My anxiety and depression were getting worse. More opportunities will arise for you.

You'll find your calling. What is it that you want to do with your life?
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmask View Post
The worst part is the fact that I never did anything crazy, so it's all still in my system. I can't give all the impulsive, immature stuff I'd like to do an outlet, unless I want people to think I'm insane. Most of them do already though, so...
Sports and video games my friend
Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
HTF

i'm the same, i have missed soo many chances to do some really fun things with my friends, instead i would hide in my room and make excuses everything a friend would call.

I guess you just gotta kinda live in the now, and try and make up for it. instead of sitting around dwelling on the past.
FaceBook (feel free to add me) u can talk about anxiety on my wall, i don't mind
----
Associated Content (my writing)
HTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

There are many opportunities that I've missed, and I consider myself very inexperienced at my age (I'm 22). It really brings me down often, especially since I'm the type that feels like I should be like everyone else. But maybe I'm just a late bloomer. My time will come. I do remind myself of my past classmates who made the decision to grow up a little too fast, and now they're paying the price. For now, I'm just trying to say myself "ok, I missed out but I still here and there will be plenty of other opportunities."
wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
You'll find your calling. What is it that you want to do with your life?
Music... but it's going to be so difficult

I'm pretty young right now (despite a couple of people who still call me "old" :/) and I am very much worried about wasting any of my youth.
rawrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

man i'm almost 26 and in the same boat , no job , never had gf , no money , no chance
no hope no future all doors all closed just waiting my day
disappear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sux more at 32.

I used to dwell on it MUCH. I think the key is forgetting about the past and making the most of the present.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmask View Post
The worst part is the fact that I never did anything crazy, so it's all still in my system. I can't give all the impulsive, immature stuff I'd like to do an outlet, unless I want people to think I'm insane.

If you feel up to it now, just move to a new town and pretend like you're still "young" and go for it.

I was on the wrong side of 30 when I finally got treatment that reduced my SA and allowed me to function more or less normally. I moved half way across the country where nobody knew me and started living like the 21 year old I still was inside. I did a lot of those fun, crazy things, and feel a lot better for it.

It would have been a lot harder to do in my home town where people knew me. It also didn't hurt that I look very young for my age.
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
If you feel up to it now, just move to a new town and pretend like you're still "young" and go for it.

I was on the wrong side of 30 when I finally got treatment that reduced my SA and allowed me to function more or less normally. I moved half way across the country where nobody knew me and started living like the 21 year old I still was inside. I did a lot of those fun, crazy things, and feel a lot better for it.

It would have been a lot harder to do in my home town where people knew me. It also didn't hurt that I look very young for my age.
Well, that wouldn't work, I don't even have a job right now. Plus, my mental problems will just follow me wherever I'll go. Maybe if I get in intensive therapy I'll have them resolved by the time I'm 30. Life rules

It does sound like a good idea, though, and I'm glad you were able to put yourself out there, that gives me hope.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I can definitely relate. If I sat down and actually examined all of the missed opportunities due in large part to my SA, then it would be quite depressing. I try and use that as motivation to not let it continue to happen, it's a daily struggle though!
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

All the time. I too feel like I squandered my college years hiding in my room instead of going to meet people. Its really the best opportunity since you are always surrounded by people of the same age group...

Now that I'm working full time, its much harder meeting new people, let alone people my age in my area
Miwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

I agree with somethinginthewind. You still are in your youth. Granted you can't change the past but in my case that makes me better. I learn from other people's mistakes rather than having to go through making all my own. And it's not really like you can't do any of those things now or in the future. I feel ya on the job! Stupid *** economy mixed with stupid *** SA....I'm still trying.

"Sometimes a person has to be loved before they can become lovable."~Ravi Zacharias

"As we have gotten more open-minded, we have become more closed-hearted."

My avatar is my art...www.myspace.com/illlaymedown
illlaymedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinginthewind View Post
It's hard to take the title of this thread realistically when you're 24 yrs old.
At 24 (or 22, my age) you are still young in a way, but I understand the OP's point of view and also kinda feel the same way. I can't speak for the OP, but for myself, i feel there are lots of things and experience that I haven't done, lived (or that i barely experienced) and that "normal" people of my age have already experienced in their past.

I feel like i have a lot less baggage and maturity than "normal" people of my age because of my lack of life experience, missed opportunities, and thus i tend to have a bigger inferiority complex and to lack even more of self-confidence...
Au plaisir d'être libre...
Et toujours debout
Je suis celui qui va jusqu'au bout
JFmtl is offline   Reply With Quote