X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it hard for you to leave the house?

I find that no matter how much I try to get used to the idea of leaving the house and driving somewhere it still takes alot for me to gather enough courage to just leave. Right now I don't have a job so I really have no where to go throughout the week when I'm home. So on top of my routinely activities such as looking for jobs to apply to online, reading and watching tv. I try to make myself leave the house and go somewhere atleast once a week. I do this so that I can get comfortable with it eventually. And I'm afraid if I don't my anxiety regarding it may increase overtime. But I'm still afraid and hesitant to leave. For example right now. On top of that it looks cloudy enough for it to rain so I'm slowly talking myself out of it.

I just wish I was one of those people who enjoyed driving and being out, I don't know why this continues to be an issue for me. So many people don't even think twice about going out and driving. I'm still not comfortable with the idea of driving alone on highways. But it's very nerve wrecking for me. If I enjoyed driving I think my world would open up. I could explore more and not be so limited. But I'm starting think this will never happen for me :\

How often do you leave the house and go somewhere without a being in a panic? Do you enjoy driving? Are you comfortable with driving on highways?
Look i'm still around.

Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel.
Like you're less than less perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel, like you're nothing.
You are perfect to me!

Shygirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Be patient with yourself. You'll eventually get the confidence to drive further and further. But also be realistic in your expectations. Stick to routes you know. Plan your routes when you're going places, so there's less of an element of "unknown".

I have huge anxiety around driving. My life revolves around a 20km radius that I don't often venture out of. When I do, I become extremely anxious. My anxiety is about getting lost, not so much about a fear of injury or harm.

What is it you're afraid of?

"Everyone wants to get out of the rain
Wants to be free, wants to see no more pain
We're guaranteed that the season will change
'Till then, I'm keeping sunshine on my brain"
- Mike "Eyedea" Larsen (RIP)
Luctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice that really helps!

I think I'm afraid of it all honestly but more afraid of accidents, harm and injury in addition to getting lost.
Look i'm still around.

You are perfect to me!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your story is just like mine When I first got my car, I still rarely went anywhere besides work because I was so nervous, and I didn't drive on the freeway by myself until about a year later. Like Luctor said, it just takes patience and practice. Just start small, like driving to a nearby grocery store or library; don't worry about driving on the highway yet until you feel that you're ready.

As you get more confidence, your fear of accidents will probably decrease. Of course, nothing is impossible, but you'll be more used to driving and you'll learn what to watch for in other drivers. I actually made some embarassingly careless mistakes and almost caused accidents, usually by unintentionally pulling in front of another car, so make to properly check your blind spots and mirrors, etc. Few sounds are worse than the angry blaring horn of the car you've just cut off

As for getting lost, a GPS will help a lot
Nkiruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Nkiruka!

It's just that I've been driving for a couple of years now. I thought that all I needed to do was try and be more comfortable behind the wheel. But after a year or so of driving, not including the years I have been practicing to drive and have gotten my license. But driving on my own. I still feel nervous about driving. I've just recently started driving on the highway (done it twice now) and my dad was in the car with me. : I just don't know when it will get easier for me.
Look i'm still around.

You are perfect to me!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, and I often take ridiculous amounts of time mobilizing before I go anywhere
probably offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not so much if I have something to do, but when I dohave something to do I make sure it gets hastily so I can away from people ASAP.

I am too preoccupied with being judged
Perplexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea. I'm too busy working out with my Xbox kinect.

Let's bring balance to this world like Naruto, Korra, Yu Narukami, Ichigo!!!
EmotionlessThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't/can't drive.

That being said, I actually have little problem "getting out." I've never had much of a problem with doing that. The thing is I have no transportation and nowhere really to go, and nobody to go anywhere with, so as far as getting out, going grocery shopping with my mother once a week, and the VERY occasional shopping outing somewhere else, is about it for me. :/

I've had more problems getting out lately in fact due to fatigue...I just can't work up the energy to do anything. I normally go on an all-day outing to a place nearby once a year but I just couldn't work up the energy to do it this year.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

I'm a go-getter! I go and get it. Then I bring it back!

"Don't overthink the metaphor, Cartwright!"
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Over the last few weeks I have had some trouble going out. I don't get it. Last month, I was working 4 days a week and meeting friends. Now, I am practically housebound. Boring!
Michael127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't drive, but had/do have problems leaving the house.

Do you like music? Perhaps select a list of your favourite songs, or something, and tell yourself you'll only play it when in the car.

I also find, having somewhere positive to go to helps, like the library or something, anywhere of interest to you? If I just go for a random walk, I find it far harder, if I have a purpose, something to look forward to at the end of the journey, far less anxiety.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't have problems "going outside my house". It involves walking and taking the bus to anywhere in the city, which is hardly a feat in itself if you have any sense of orientation and/or are able to read a map. My problem, similar to tehuti's, is that I really have nowhere to go except the dairy, university and home. It is my fault though, for being seemingly unable to make more than a few friends (and then those aren't the social types anyway) - at least if you consider SA something to be blamed for.

Though I'll admit I've been feeling quite tired lately. Missed basically 100% of my morning lectures always with the exact same thought: "screw this, I'm too tired". I might have one of those vitamin imbalances or something.
Nono441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

I usually stay outside, or at least keep a window open in the autumn. I go to work, grocery store, and just about every where else.

I don't usually like to stay cooped up in the house. I like to get out and about.
And ride that highway in the sky
This is for all the single people,
thinking love has left them dry
Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup
You'll never know until you try

TheFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Thanks Nkiruka!

It's just that I've been driving for a couple of years now. I thought that all I needed to do was try and be more comfortable behind the wheel. But after a year or so of driving, not including the years I have been practicing to drive and have gotten my license. But driving on my own. I still feel nervous about driving. I've just recently started driving on the highway (done it twice now) and my dad was in the car with me. : I just don't know when it will get easier for me.
Don't worry, it WILL get easier! Try again tomorrow
Nkiruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm 19 and I can count the number of times I've been out this past year...probably around 20-30. I feel if I had a car it might be easier to get out more, but I'm stuck walking or taking the bus which is something I dread. I want to go to grocery stores or the library once a week but I just can't bring myself to go out alone. Tonight, I was supposed to go somewhere with some of my mom's friends kids. And here I am laying in bed because I just can't.
Purplerainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

I do get out sometimes but only to go shopping. I need to get out more often.
I've never drove but I'm going to get my license soon and then I'm going to go out more often. I'm afraid of driving since I've never drove before but it's something that I'll just have to do. We've got a GPS so if I have to go somewhere that I'm not familar with I use it.
ravens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have mini panic attacks whenever I step outside to go somewhere. I get dizzy and my heart beats real fast. But I do get better after 10 or so minutes outside.
Melodies0fLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

I would go out if there was anywhere worth going to.
jman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

It all depends on where I am going and what I have to do. If I am not traveling I almost despise leaving the house. I am in constant fear of running into someone I 'know' and just want to be left alone--and yet I crave socialization. I am an enigma wrapped in a riddle and marinated in stupidity.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't leave the apartment building without my wife.
KYJE is offline   Reply With Quote