X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default involuntary frown?

I cant help it. Its scaring me, but it seems like my face is permanently stuck in a rigid grimace. I cant smile anymore, and everybody notices it. I constantly get asked if I'm ok, or am I mad. I look like I'm about to pound someone, no joke. I try hard not to let it get to me, but it hurts. So I walk around with my head down and bite my lower lip so its less obvious. Smiling is unnatural to me.
Also the fact that I have really soft voice doesent help, I work at this buffet, and whenever I'm on the register, people always double ask me how much is the total cost of the meal. And I mean everybody, I try speak up, but its hard for me. " I'm sorry, can you repeat that again".. " what did you say?" How much?" " HOW MUCH!!!!" and of course last but no least " Where are you from?" omg, I hate that one, stupid curious retards. It frustrates me beyond belief. Yes I look european, yes, I have a slight accent.. **** off.
P.S The price is on the damn screen!! if you quit talking to me and looked up you wouldnt have to ask... morons...
I hate people.

Equisgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have this as well, I think. I have a hard time smiling at people, I think i usually look sullen, and I have a soft voice where people will ask me to repeat some things.. And I don't like when people get nosey like that, I understand why you say you 'hate people', I don't like my privacy invaded. I wish smiling wasn't so mentally difficult to do, physically it's easy as pie, but I just can't bring myself to.
IndigoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a frowning problem too! I look at other people though, and they don't grin all the time, so I don't get it. I'm not consciously frowning, it just seems like my face settles into it naturally.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
march_hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

((((((((((((((((((Equisgurl))))))))))))))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
I'm not consciously frowning, it just seems like my face settles into it naturally.
Yeah, me too. My face seems to settle into a tense, frowning thing when I'm by myself or when I'm concentrating on something that I'm having a hard time with (most everything these days...). Unless someone actually knows me, most people assume that I'm in a bad mood

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hardly ever smile either. Even if I were to make a point of smiling a lot, it wouldn't be genuine. I bite my lower lip a lot too.
thatswet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I only smile when someone talks to me and I get nervous. Most of the time, I clench my jaw and look grumpy. People avoid me sometimes, but I guess I wouldn't approach me either.

Some people just have that friendly "aura", you know? I wish I had that.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I never smile. The only time you'll see my teeth is when I laugh or someone says something particularly funny, which is not that often.

Seriously, I never spontaneuously smile.

I'm sitting here practicing a smile in front of the computer and it feels like my face is going to fall off. My mouth feels 'tight' and contorted whenever I try; it's such an an alien experience. And that's not even addressing the obvious psychological reasons for my stunted smiling ability as a previous poster mentioned.

God I'm such a mutant. Who'd have though such a supposedly simple thing would be such a problem?
[Hangs up and turns to others]
"He's dead."
Misanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
R

I was like that and still am some/most of the time.

I always thought I started doing it when i was younger in high school because I subconsciously didn't want to talk to people and so I developed this behavior to kind of ward people off. Then it became a self fulfilling prophecy. When i realized i was doing it I reacted defensively but the sooner you get over it and consciously try to change and realized that doing so isn't "not being your self" then you'll do better, don't try to do it all the time but just a quickie when you say hello or as funny as it sounds on your way to work or school just smile a few times, not some big fake one but small ones. I know i don't smile as much as other people but i don't get the "Whats wrong" or "Are you ok" anymore.
R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

i look stupid when i smile, so i dont do it
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used to have a pretty big problem with that too, but I'm chipping away at it. Some of you may look at this as being superficial and fake, but force yourself to smile. Practise smiling in the mirror, and try to keep it on the whole day. Now, I know a lot of you are thinking this is the cheesiest thing you ever heard, and I admit it kind of is. You shouldn't have a big cheesy grin on your face: you just need to keep a slight pleasant looking closed mouth expression on your face. Believe me, just doing that will make you look more pleasant and inviting.

I would like to say that there is no such thing as having an "aura". It all has to do with body language, and facial expression. If you have a pleasant facial expression and inviting body language, people will gravitate towards you and be nice to you (generally speaking).
idunnoimnotcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

i guess i see what you mean, ill give it a shot
Old 10-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

I always get told that I look like i'm tired or sad. The other day a cashier told me "Smile! you look like someone just killed your puppy" I guess I just always have a frown on my face unless I am consiously thinking about smiling.

Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

I look mad if I"m not smiling. But I'm not usually mad...I just look that way. I thought I smiled quite a bit, but way back when I got my senior pics, my uncle said he never saw me smile that much before.

It doesn't happen anymore, but I used to have people ask me what is wrong...that I look pissed. But I wasn't! Ironically people asking me this really did make me mad. "Well I wasn't mad...until now!"

Chronicling my SA, and thoughts of the deep issues of life.

What can I say on here that hasn't already been said?
Lincolnradiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have that too and it annoys me because I am really not a mad person..Now I try to smile to people when I say hello,but I also get that "are you ok?" and "you have to smile more".

Invisible_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

smiling isn't natural to me either. it's so uncomfortable when i have to "fake smile," which really doesn't even look like a real smile, when somebody says something to me that they expect will produce a smile. i remember when i was in junior high, this teacher i had the year before stopped me in the hall and wouldn't let me pass till i smiled. i really hated that.
tea111red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Unless someone said something particularly funny, I don't smile. Even though I'm not in a bad mood, people are constantly asking what's wrong. I can just be standing minding my own business, and people will come up to me and say I look sad.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertadIlusoria
Unless someone said something particularly funny, I don't smile. Even though I'm not in a bad mood, people are constantly asking what's wrong. I can just be standing minding my own business, and people will come up to me and say I look sad.
I also get that constantly. Random people who don't even know me asking me what's wrong, what I'm upset about, etc. I never notice the vast majority of other people looking overly cheerful so I'm not sure why I'm singled out.
planetdystopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nyx

I don't smile either. I feel stupid when I do it for no reason. I try to make myself smile at work when I interact with others though.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~Mark Twain
Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default Re: involuntary frown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equisgurl
I cant help it. Its scaring me, but it seems like my face is permanently stuck in a rigid grimace.
Equisgurl, how long have you had this frowning problem? It's possible that meds are the cause, (if you happen to be taking any?). When I took meds for depression a couple years ago, I noticed that my face always looked tense. The muscles around my eyebrows bulged a bit, making me look stressed or angry. Occasionally, people would ask me what's wrong, when in fact, I was feeling fine. At first, I thought there was something weird about me, but actually, it was a side effect of my meds (Effexor, Wellbutrin, Risperdal). I stumbled on information that some meds can tense up the face muscles. It's called, "stone face" or "mask-like face". Doctors usually don't mention this when they prescribe. After I went off the meds, my face returned to normal, and I look natural again.

As for the restaurant, you just have to practice talking louder. I had the same problem when I worked in food service. I am soft-spoken, and restaurants can be noisy and chaotic with crowds of people and the background sounds in the kitchen. My co-worker was nice about it. She told me that you practically have to scream at the customers, and don't feel weird about doing this, LOL. I also worked with a lady who had a Greek accent, and she spoke loudly and slowly to customers, so that they could properly hear her. She took lots of customized cake orders, so she couldn't afford to have misunderstandings.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

I frown like 90% of the time, just easier than smiling. I get "are you ok?", "are you mad" ,and the dreaded "SMILE!" alot because of this.

My face naturally falls that way, it's just normal for me.
staceypie is offline   Reply With Quote