X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insulted someone by accident?

I feel so terrible I did this, I really didn't mean to. It happened because I meant to say something normal but what I said came out sounding very different and insulting. The person was pretty hurt, I can pick up on those things...but then they forgot about it later and we spoke normally later even after this incident. I didn't apologize or anything or even bring it up again. What should I have done? I really don't like to hurt someone...I can't stop thinking about it.
fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can relate to your situation. Somtimes I feel that something needs to be said in a conversation where I don't know what to say so I just say whatever and I think I insult someone. Maybe you didn't hurt them it was just the SA that made you think that.
NellKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

^ that could definitely be it.

If you feel that you really did hurt them though, you could always apologize, tell them that you feel really bad about saying it. I'm sure they'd understand

Or if they really don't seem to care anymore, don't ever mention it again. To get it out of your head just tell yourself that it obviously wasn't a big enough deal that the person now dislikes you... They didn't even remember it later on.

Don't worry about it so much it'll be okay.
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would say just go ahead and apologize if you think it may have upset the person. I've been in situations where I felt like my feelings were being ignored but moved past it because I didn't have the guts to say anything. If the person wasn't offended, then great, but if they were, I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you apologized.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fading View Post
I feel so terrible I did this, I really didn't mean to. It happened because I meant to say something normal but what I said came out sounding very different and insulting. The person was pretty hurt, I can pick up on those things...but then they forgot about it later and we spoke normally later even after this incident. I didn't apologize or anything or even bring it up again. What should I have done? I really don't like to hurt someone...I can't stop thinking about it.
They may not have forgotten. You can always apologise. Say something like, "I was thinking about what I said the other day. I didn't intend to hurt your feelings, but I think that I did. I'm really sorry." They'll likely appreciate it.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Who cares people say things that accidentally insult people all the time, it's part of life.

Can you honestly say nobody has ever said something that insulted you without them realizing it? Did you hate them and hold a grudge to em for doing it?

Of course not. It's not the insult that makes insults so bad; it's the intention to insult that makes the person a ***. Just be more careful with your words.
OpiodArmor is offline   Reply With Quote