Insomnia due to overthinking/restless mind and self-consciousness - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Insomnia due to overthinking/restless mind and self-consciousness

This may not relate so much to *social* anxiety per se, but sometimes that forms part of it. Does anyone else have an issue with falling asleep because you keep mentally checking to see if you have fallen asleep or are closer to doing it, and in the process king of bring yourself out of it and wake up more? It's hard to explain, but I have that issue. Especially on nights when I know I need to get up at a certain time the next day, often early (even if I give myself plenty of time, just the thought that I may not fall asleep in time and get enough rest keeps me up!). This also happens when I know I'm behind on sleep, and it makes me anxious that I missed out and *really* need to catch up this night. In my mind, I keep telling myself, "Fall asleep already, dammit!" lol. I know it's best to think of something peaceful like nature or whatever, but if you are aware you're doing this as you do it, it's difficult to "fool yourself" into it, if you know what I mean.

I also have issues simply due to overthinking and thinking about life problems before going to bed. I know I shouldn't, but it's hard not to. Sometimes I'm actually on track to fall asleep and in a very relaxed, sort of semi-dreamy not fully awake mode, and suddenly think of some embarrassing moment from real life or wonder what someone thought of me, and to my great annoyance, I suddenly come out of it and am wide awake again, and back at square one. It's very frustrating. And the thing is, in normal waking reality, those thoughts of those moments aren't even embarrassing and I don't worry about them, but in that vulnerable half asleep mode, they suddenly hit me really hard for some reason, and I suddenly feel really self-conscious and almost ashamed of myself. It's weird. And not really rational. I guess that means my subconscious has a lower opinion of myself or lower "self-esteem" than my actual waking conscious, and some of that slips through in those moments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM
SAS Member

When i have racing thoughts at night, i tell myself to just let go of everything, it helps. Also, if you are thinking over embarassing events, then stop thinking about them. My therapist said that one of the main things that causes SA to get worse and to not go away, is when you think of embarassing things that hapenedd to you. This makes your mind anxious about future situations, which of course makes you more anxious.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Sometimes. I've gone one or two nights without much sleep before I get a full night's sleep because I'm so exhausted. Then the next night I can't sleep and the cycle repeats. It comes and goes but it's horrible.

Sometimes listening to music helps. Sometimes guided meditation helps. But most of the time, I just wait it out.

"If any man is not free, then I, too, am a small pie made of chicken."
- Terry Pratchett

"Fear is good. Keep that. But travel light. Forget hate." -
Stark, "Farscape"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Searching...

My Mood: Sleepy
I have sleep apnea and insomnia I think.

People at work always complain I look tired.

I'm always tired, tired of everything in general.

Meh

"All greatness of character is dependent on individuality. The man who has no other existence than that which he partakes in common with all around him, will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity. "
-James F. Cooper

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... Wondering, fearing, doubting..." -Edgar Allan Poe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3bMZ5dNsl4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM
SAS Member

I used to have a lot of trouble with both falling asleep... AND... getting restful sleep.

Not so much anymore... what with all the research and experimentation I've done.

Now my sleep is on autopilot. Almost every night I get a refreshing 8-9 hours of sleep, without ever needing a nap in the afternoon to power me through the rest of the day.

Essentially, my daily routine consists of the following:

#1: Exercise in the morning

Exercising has helped me a lot with being able to fall sleep faster, as well as with getting deeper sleep.

Cortisol is highest in the morning, making it the ideal time to get a workout in.

And that workout, I've discovered, is crucial for good sleep. The harder you workout in the day, the harder your body will go to work at night when it repairs and rejuvenates your body.

#2: Magnesium

Since taking 400mg of magnesium, 1 hour before sleep every night, I've found it works wonders for de-stressing the body and relaxing your muscles.

It has vastly improved the quality of my sleep. And I've also found it induces a mild sleepiness (from your muscles being relaxed).

I like the NOW Magnesium on Amazon.

But you can also absorb magnesium in your body from epsom salt baths or magnesium sprays... if you don't want to go the supplement route.

#3: Pitch-black room

Any source of artificial light is a big no-no for sleep. It only serves to inhibit your body's natural melatonin production, preventing you from falling asleep fast, and disrupting your body's deep sleep cycles.

I've found that even a little light can make it that much harder to fall asleep.

So, if you can, try to get your room blacked out, and you should notice better sleep.

#4: Read fiction before bed

Reading, for me, works wonders for getting drowsy fast.

Not only does the act of reading get me tired... it also takes my mind off any worries and thoughts I've had running in my head.

It's a great way to unwind and take your mind of the day's events.

I usually read for 30-40 minutes before I'm ready to call it a night.

After that I'm asleep within 10-15 minutes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Individualist.

My Mood: Brooding
My sleep pattern is jacked. I've lived in so many international time zones in the span of 1.5 years that I can't seem to go to bed before 2am or 3am here on the US East Coast. Oh and yes, I think of a lot of random crap to do at night as well.

Melatonin is a great natural remedy though. But, definitely take it early during night. Or else, you will be totally out of it during the day time.

سلام وحب
MBTI Personality: INFJ (100% Introverted; 95% Intuitive; 74% Feeling; 68% Judging)
No company is better than bad company.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 AM
SA Stig Soldier

My Mood: Lonely
Question how long you spend in bed?

mine's stuttered

I sleep well

but when a morning's boring, straight to sleep. effective

8 hrs sleep or so thinking it's next day, awake, but 8pm same day

just about all this year... a bit back to future
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah, I've tried magnesium, melatonin, and reading fiction before bed, and find it does help somewhat.

As for a pitch black room, that's unfortunately difficult for me at the moment. Even if I turned all electronics off, I live in a small studio apartment right off a busy road that has bright streetlights on at all times. And the curtains the apartment provided aren't big enough to actually cover the entire window, but you're not allowed to remove or replace them. And my kitchen window doesn't have anywhere to even put curtains, and still lets light in.

They say it's best to not use electronics or bright screens like an hour before bed, but that's easier said than done in today's world lol.

I'll have to try working out in the morning; it's a drag but maybe it'll help.

The biggest thing is just having a regular sleep schedule and going to bed relatively early rather than after midnight like I do... sigh. I guess these are still first world problems though haha.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 PM
That deaf guy...yeah him.

My Mood: Chatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek View Post
I have sleep apnea and insomnia I think.

People at work always complain I look tired.

I'm always tired, tired of everything in general.

Meh

Dude sounds like you have chronic fatigue.... I have it too if it is.... don't necessarily know how it helps to know what to call it... but if you find a cure..... PLEASE TELL ME!!! because I'm sleeping so much i miss meals.... it's weird though... i only sleep during the day if i sleep at all... and then there's THOSE weeks.. where you're too tired to sleep.... which is REALLY likke... Messed up...!! enough to get ZOMBIEFIED go wander around outside here but not all there... beccause life's just not fair... and then they stare..... People used to laugh when i told them i had Chronic Fatigue... it's real man.... it's a killer, I know two people who've slept to death... it does two things CF does.... first, it drains you physically to the point that yeah you miss meals... then you stop exercising.. and you can't get out of bed one day... let's say you survive that (i was stuck in bed for 8 days before the landlord found me... so that's the physical side of it... but that's not the USUAL case.. mine situation is a bit of an extremity i'm told but not impossible... just hopefully improbable... only likely for those of us who suffer SSA (anxiety) cuz we're the ones who would get left alone for days or weeks at a time before someone would even notice that hey... they havent seen us in forever and they wonder how were doing... CAn you imagine!! 8 days of being not actually paralysed like you know motor cortex issues or other brain dysfunctions.... but you might as well be paralysed because every time you lift your fricken head off the pillow you get a little head rush and black out and fall asleep not unconscious, asleep!! as in if you could hear (I'm deaf too... ) and heard a phone ring you could potentially wake up... don't know what good that would do you unless the phone was within arms reach without sitting up..... there's things you gotta DO, like,, DAILY, that involve getting out of bed.. can you think of those things? k let's not mentioned those... that was embarrasing... on the verge of shameful.... and here i was dying... while bothering to be ashamed of the nature of that process..... I'm just saying.... keep on top of it if it seems you're starting to slip... that was the first clue i missed or didn't know to look for... if you start missing meals cuz you're asleep.... well not eating certainly isn't gonna do you any good anyways... but still.... think about it. most people. if you try to go to bed on an empty stomach... like having not eaten all day, then it's like 11PM and trying to go to sleep to get up the next morning? pretty tricky to pull off..... I have practice.. but sadly thats on account of not having enough money to eat every day.. literally... seriously.... it was getting pretty scary last month.... but jan and feb of this year i averaged one .... i hesitate to call it a 'meal' but one 'meal',,, roughly every 2.7 days.... not quite three days but almost.... and then march... was the scary month.. i was down to one meal a week... leaves you pretty weak..... and for a joke.... it leaves me feeling kind of meek... but lame all the same...the second way by the way.. that chronic fatigue gets to you... is it gets to you mentally... how it starts physically making you too tired to do ANYTHING... until finally you start getting to tired to even think of doing ****... you get tired of even HAVING to do ****... like LIVING.... **** you know what i mean? Please excuse the expletive... it's for emphasis.... and its the only applicable application of a descriptor that is strong enough while conveying a concise generalized (across many different cultural perspectives) meaning that you can rest assured most anybody will respond to in the same manner.... communication is key my friends... i'm deaf so that's my excuse..... but don't stay silent on some of these health things too.. right? anyways.. have a good night... though it's only ugh. 1:09PM *yawns loudly* and yeah.... i'm passi;nnnnnnig iut
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM
Surrounded by Sadness

Same problem. After trying every sleep aid under the sun, I found Saphris works. A most unusual choice for a sleep aid, given that I know of a grand total of 1 other person on Earth who uses it for such -- and he got the idea from me.

I really need to go to a sleep clinic to investigate the possibility of narcolepsy, which could cost my insurance company $70,000+ per year for Xyrem (GHB). Yes, drug companies have no shame.

Odds are your problem could easily be solved with something as simple as Ambien. Ambien unfortunately doesn't work for me -- at least not at normal doses. Take 23 of them and I had the best damn 8 hour nap possible. Damn I wish they made Ambien in a 100 mg version, as wussy doctors would never be willing to prescribe 10 a night.

Of course, I'm the same guy who recently took 120 mg (yes, one hundred & twenty) Xanax and then went to bed waking up 5 hours later feeling just fine.

DEA agents, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon legitimate patients.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Yup yup. I was also offered proper sleeping medication, but I don't want to eat them (for same reasons as I don't take any other intoxicants), so I'm going with melatonin.

Stress clearly makes it worse. I've learned to function quite well while tired, though.

We did a sleep/dream diary for a couple of months as a project for school, and analyzed/read the dreams we had. I clocked in around ~7 hours of sleep, trying to sleep for 9, when using slow release melatonin (or whatever it is called in englando..?)

I quite regularly go for a run + sauna before I go to bed, to help myself fall asleep.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page