X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm not good at anything

Someone please help me find something I can do. I keep trying to think and think about what I could be good at, but nothing comes to mind. There's a few things I want to do, but I lack the actual motivation to do them because I'm not good at any of them to begin with (learn Japanese, write music, learn guitar, learn drums, make something). More than anything, I feel like I need to create something that is uniquely mine, but I don't know what that is. I've been thinking for weeks about how I want to make something, but I can't figure it out. At one point I baked brownies just to get all the energy I've got wanting to make something, out of my body. I hate brownies (not all the time, but most of the time).

Do any of you have some sort of talent for something or an idea of what I could try? I'm actually hoping for something I can use less of my brain for and more of my body since I'm tired of being in my head all the time.
dunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I personally love to draw & sketch things. i havent had any motivation to do it though. maybe u can do that? doesn't have to be a masterpiece but maybe to just feel accomplished and proud

*i need to take my own advice*
N3XT2NON3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Practice and you shall be
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I feel the same way. I feel so unmotivated! I want to get back to writing, for one of my dreams is to write and publish a novel. Yet my words sound childish.
wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I too am lacking in motivation, i just can't bring myself to do anything.. i wana get back into painting..

anyways.. a lot of the things i do are small things to keep me distracted, at the moment i'm playing around with 'origami' and trying to learn a ring variation of the 'coin roll'.... maybe you can try learning a form of martial arts?
Anxiety Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would like to do a lot of things i don't have the motivation to do. i'm not lazy just tired all the time.
neurotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
gaz

Well i play a bit of guitar, the thing is i just play the same simple songs all the time because i don't have the motivation to learn new songs. I'm not good at getting out of my comfort zone, so i end up in a rut with everything i do.
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Getting the motivation to keep doing something is the hardest thing. No matter what you try, it won't get better unless you practice and if you keep at it daily, you'll see a visible amount of improvement from when you first started. Most people who are talented are so with years of practice and dedication. They started off pretty much on the same level.
april showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

You might not be perfect at something, but there's something that you might enjoy doing. I like Cooking, but I will never be the next Rachel Ray.

I have never been good at any sports, I couldn't learn to play a musical instrument due to my poor memory, I don't get 80's in school like most undergrads.

Though, I really enjoy learning in school. I like biking and walking. I'm the greatest eavesdropper on the planet.
SAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
STAY POSITIVE!
What for? I know you're trying to help and have the best of intentions, but I'm tired of building up my hopes only to have them dashed every time. The feeling of hurt from the disappointment of failure is much greater than the feeling of just plain ole discontent while at least knowing everything sucks.
Ohio Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

i like drawing randomly and i recently started origami as well u could try juggling....something i'm gonna try do too
i8what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

When I find that I am not good at something, I stay away from it completely. For example, my girlfriend's son has a PS3 and plays all kinds of games on it. One day, he asked me to try it, but he had no patience, so he got mad and I got mad. The damn buttons were just too confusing. Several months later, he asked me to try it again. I was hesitant, but relented. The same thing happened. He has NO PATIENCE, and started with things like, "What are you doing, press so-and-so button". I don't let anyone talk to me like that without returning the wrath to the other person. I got mad, said to hell with it, and thats that.
Also, I suck at card games, and board games. If a person is impatient, I will NOT PLAY! Lifes too damn short!
I am VERY GOOD at trivia. People say I should be on Jeopardy.
BeachGaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

You know, one thing that keeps me focused and alert and is slowly increasing my motivation are word and number puzzles. I mainly work with word searches, Sudoku, and Fill-It-Ins while watching TV. Something like that could possibly point you in the next direction/step you'll take in getting back a favorite hobby.
wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
You might not be perfect at something, but there's something that you might enjoy doing. I like Cooking, but I will never be the next Rachel Ray.
i agree. I used to feel so depressed because I wasn't good at everything and everyone else seemed to be good at something, but then i realized you can never ever be perfect, there will always be someone better. so find something you really like, even if you aren't good at it, and just practice as much as you can. have you tried art? or just continue practicing the guitar or drums. or you could try working out or something that uses more of your body... good luck!!
kanarazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

If you have access to a garden you could have a go at gardening. Try planting some vegetables or herbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunky View Post
Someone please help me find something I can do. I keep trying to think and think about what I could be good at, but nothing comes to mind. There's a few things I want to do, but I lack the actual motivation to do them because I'm not good at any of them to begin with (learn Japanese, write music, learn guitar, learn drums, make something). More than anything, I feel like I need to create something that is uniquely mine, but I don't know what that is. I've been thinking for weeks about how I want to make something, but I can't figure it out. At one point I baked brownies just to get all the energy I've got wanting to make something, out of my body. I hate brownies (not all the time, but most of the time).

Do any of you have some sort of talent for something or an idea of what I could try? I'm actually hoping for something I can use less of my brain for and more of my body since I'm tired of being in my head all the time.

Perfection is a point of view
ItemEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

What are your interests? I had to take this depression group when I was younger and one of the things they made us do was make a list of "pleasant activities" or just things we like (I had some really sad stuff on there: one was that I liked iced tea). Afterwards, we were supposed to do at least one pleasant thing every day and keep a graph of our mood.

It ended up being a good exercise, thinking about it now, because it's amazing how much better you feel when you do things you like, even if they are really simple things.

I kind of realized how much I put myself down. It's like I tell myself how much I suck before anyone else can, to the point where I don't want to do anything. But everywhere you go there is always at least one person who has to piss all over everything to make themselves feel better.

I remember some people talking about this guy they knew that snowboarded and how that was all he ever talked about. They were saying how one time they went snowboarding with him and he sucked so bad. They were talking about it afterwards, when I was there, and they were laughing at him behind his back.

I really hate stuff like that. I despise that about people. Seriously, who says you have to be an expert? What's wrong with being enthusiastic about something? Why can't a person just enjoy something without being treated like a wannabe for doing something they like?

Anyway, don't judge yourself, if that's what it is. You don't have to be good at something and you can still like it. You can like sitting alone in your room and playing guitar, because you find it relaxing, without aspiring to be a rock god. Ultimately, hobbies are for yourself, not other people.

If you are looking for some ideas for stuff to do:
http://www.instructables.com/
http://makezine.com/
http://craftzine.com/
http://www.craftster.org/

I really need to take my own advice, as well...
nobodyuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I somewhat get where you're coming from. Myself, I draw mostly , and play some music. Yet how exactly I can use this for profit/benefit eludes me. I have yet to come up with with some masterpeice painting. I've put some art out but no one buys it. I can play music, but I can't write songs ! I've tried forming a band, but never find people motivated by the same music as I.

And I lack inspiration to write a full novel.

Sometimes I really do question, why do I do any of these if I can't profit from it.
Do you know how frustrating it feels to be just talented enough to be competent, but not enough to get anything out of it ?

I continue to do it, because I enjoy it. As depressing as it can get at times, I try to keep up the hope that someday, somehow my art talents will actually help me in life.

Dunky I suggest you do the same. Try different stuff, even if its building little sculptures from junk around the house. If you enjoy it, keep it. Don't worry about the criricism, and try not to concern yourself that you're not "good enough."

I'm 18 and have been drawing from infancy .. I haven't won any art competitions. Yet, I still draw, because I enjoy it.
VIncymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotic1 View Post
I would like to do a lot of things i don't have the motivation to do. i'm not lazy just tired all the time.
im just tired all the time + havent found anything im good at yet. there sure are a lot of artists here

Much to learn, you still have.
slkjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm with 'ItemEleven' - i find gardening excellent for those situations. Especially fixing up a backyard that's grown wildly out of control for half a year or so. Heaps of sunlight, fresh air, burn bulk energy and at the end of it you feel like you've actually accomplished something. Makes me feel good every time. Oh, and you can't f*@k it up even if you tried!
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

I was thinking about fixing up our yards, but I'm in Texas and it's extremely hot and humid here right now, I don't know the first thing about fixing it up and we've got a good amount of land that's completely devoid of actual grass (only weeds everywhere). If I had what I needed to actually go out there and make it look nice, I would, but I don't even know where to begin.
dunky is offline   Reply With Quote