X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #21 (permalink)

i think a lot of times we are too harsh on ourselves. whenever people compliment me im like "oh theyre just saying that to be nice or because they are older " or something but if it happens a lot you gotta believe it. no one is ugly. i dont even like the word ugly. besides if you wanna make yourself look better, get a piercing or a new haircut or something. ive noticed in the entertainment industry they do tricks to hide celebrity flaws. like beyonce for example doesnt like her ears, a lot of times she will wear her hair down to hide them. lady gaga has a kind of big nose, she wears glasses and big hats to hide it. so good luck and you are handsome. everyone is beautiful.
1applehearts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

My profile is ugly too, my nose is way to big for my teeny head and it's one of those roman noses with a bobble tip, I wouldn't mind if it was a chisel tip infact I'd pay good money for that. I also have no chin to speak off so I look like queen Victoria side-on
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

I don't really look perfect from the side, but it doesn't really matter to me. No need to hate the face I was born with. Some people might not like your side view, but most people don't really care. They just look at the overall package. Be confident in yourself. How you look shouldn't affect your worth as a human.
ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl09 View Post
My profile is ugly too, my nose is way to big for my teeny head and it's one of those roman noses with a bobble tip, I wouldn't mind if it was a chisel tip infact I'd pay good money for that. I also have no chin to speak off so I look like queen Victoria side-on
If that picture in your avatar is you, you're pretty. I'm sure alot of people would agree. You shouldn't feel self critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
Girls aren't as concerned about physical appearance as men are, so you're probably thinking it's a bigger deal than it is to girls. I think "flaws" can be super cute sometimes. And if it's your nose, well, prominent noses are masculine and attractive on men, don't worry about it.
Do prominent chins count? For those wondering, I have a big chin

I consider myself very unattractive but I suppose it's not too bad. Sometimes I feel bad for feeling insecure, thinking guys shouldn't get sensitive over their appearances. Sometimes I feel awful about myself, sometimes I don't care at all, and that's starting to show. I'm starting to dress like a nerdy Grunge reject from the 90s, and I badly need a hair cut. I guess that's what happens when you listen to too much 90s music
Rixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

I have this hang-up. I don't like the way my nose looks from the profile view. It's funny, my sister is pretty and has had guys drool over her forever. We have the same nose, but mine is much bigger. It's the testostorone. I have always been critical of my looks, but I don't remember anyone ever saying that I was ugly, at least not to my face. People have called me stupid, but never ugly. More people have complimented me about my looks that not. I don't get it.

Chronicling my SA, and thoughts of the deep issues of life.

What can I say on here that hasn't already been said?
Lincolnradiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

The funny thing is I have a boney bump on the side of my nose and it makes me look completely different from each angle. But I think most people don't care. That is how you evolved and you should just accept it. Try working out, getting nice cloths, and getting a cool haircut to improve your confidence and to make up for faults. Thats what I do. Plus in my experience girls care more that you trim your nails and don't smell over how you look. Also try to be funny. Girls are more comfortable around guys that are more personable and funny. If you aren't, learn to be. Thats all I did and I don't seem to have a problem with dating. Of course, I do only meet girls online. I've never had the balls to ask a girl out in real life even if i knew they were interested in me.
MisterJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

I know how you feel, although I have the opposite problem. I think I look decent from the side but pretty bad face-on.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

I hate my side profile. I've got a big nose and a slightly prominent lower jaw...absolutely detest how I look. Saying that, I posted a side view of myself on the "Post a pic of yourself" thread a while back and I had some good responses, so I guess our perception of ourselves is completely different to other people's opinion.
lastofthekews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl09 View Post
You look really pretty in your profile picture, Stargirl! I think we are overly critical of ourselves. I have a weak chin due to an overbite but I remember one time I pointed it out to someone and they seemed really genuinely surprised and said it didn't look like that at all. It's a matter of perception. But I you shouldn't use the word 'ugly' to describe yourself- honestly, I think you look very nice.

Crazy girl
crazyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1applehearts1 View Post
i think a lot of times we are too harsh on ourselves. whenever people compliment me im like "oh theyre just saying that to be nice or because they are older " or something but if it happens a lot you gotta believe it. no one is ugly. i dont even like the word ugly. besides if you wanna make yourself look better, get a piercing or a new haircut or something. ive noticed in the entertainment industry they do tricks to hide celebrity flaws. like beyonce for example doesnt like her ears, a lot of times she will wear her hair down to hide them. lady gaga has a kind of big nose, she wears glasses and big hats to hide it. so good luck and you are handsome. everyone is beautiful.
Good answer. And I think you're really right about people dismissing other people's compliments. It's the bad stuff we tend to remember, I guess. And you're right about celebrities hiding certain things they may not like about themselves. I wouldn't necessarily call them flaws though; I think it's a cultural thing to like certain parts of the body in a certain way. For example, in some cultures a bigger body is 'sexier' while in western culture, smaller bodies seem to be the ideal. There's actually a place (I believe it's in Africa) where women try to gain weight in order to meet the ideal- which ironically is just as bad health-wise as starving oneself to be skinny. Also big noses are not universally thought of as 'flawed.'

Crazy girl
crazyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #31 (permalink)

i agree. i have the most hideous side profile in history. my forehead slopes back alot, my nose points toward the sky, my chin slopes outward. its ****ing disgusting
kittycat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

I have a giant nose but surprisingly I like my profile. I have even been complimented on it before, Anyways I know what it is like to hate your own face. But everyone goes through that. But there are things about your face that other people wish they had, trust me.
QuietandShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

My profile sucks, too...
But I have to admit, I LMAO'd at this thread! Don't be way too critical of your profiles, alright? People don't mind others' side views, anyway.
kanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #34 (permalink)

I have the opposite problem: I think my profile is more attractive than the front view. :/
kilgoretrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Mds

Another post that describes EXACTLY how i feel about myself. i hate looking at myself in a mirror at any sort of angle except directly at my face.
Mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
I have the opposite problem: I think my profile is more attractive than the front view. :/
Hehe this is me too.

As someone else said in here if a partner likes you they probably like you 1)and your looks or 2) despite your looks. Either way they are over it by the time they express their interest in you. Now if this person has never seen your 'bad' angle that could be a problem. But even then it could be that your low self esteem/insecurities have blown the issue out of proportion. Also don't put the other person on a pedestal. They are likely to have their own imperfections and insecurities even if they aren't obvious to you.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

Exclamation ugly sides

I'm ugly from the side too

I hate meeting people who look good no matter what side you look at. You start liking them for it, then you start hating that you dont have that. You become self-loathing and then one day realize that if it werent for this person then you would have never felt this way so you begin to resent her for it
and then you **** her sister and it all goes downhill from there...
ThatOneGuy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #38 (permalink)

I have a thing for weird noses o.O Also I hate my profile, always have, my mother hates hers too. I don't think I've ever met someone who likes their profile.
catbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #39 (permalink)

Me too. They way my lips are shape.
Fly there with me,
Iíll show you how we keep on fighting.
Iíll show you how wide is the dream on dragonís wings!
visualkeirockstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

I have a double chin even though I'm skinny
HelplessKitten is offline   Reply With Quote