I just graduated high school. I don't know what to do next. - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I just graduated high school. I don't know what to do next.

I know part of growing up is finding out what I need to do and be more responsible, but these past two years in senior high I have been slacking off. The only good news is that I passed with decent grades. But on the bad side....

I have never taken the S.A.T. Let alone give a darn until just now.

I have never applied or even seriously looked into a college

I don't have a job (no experience)

Small list of big problems.

I feel like its too late to apply for anything so that my only option seems to be community college. Unless I want to wait another year and study for the SAT (am I right?). I would like to major in Aerospace Engineering.

As of now I'm being a bum at home. The anxiety of not getting anything done is eating away at me. Don't think that im going to sit around waiting for answers here, im actually doing something about it. But in the meanwhile giving your advice would be greatly appreciated(I mean it). Thank you
amanic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you don't know what you wanna do @ college/uni just work for a year. That's what I did. Become an adult work work work... lol

All the time they lie to me they suffocate
All the time they're suffering
So when will it end?
Jessie203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh boy I know all about this "fun" phase. I literally have no idea what to do with my life. You could just work for a year like I'm planning to I guess :/
Rixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am also working for a year this year, and hoping that I figure something out for next year.
266x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

get a job if you dont know what ot do for college
Kennnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I graduated high school last year and a took a year off because I had NO idea what I wanted to do. I looked for a job numerous times but I wasn't able to find anything. I don't have a car so I haven't been able to look in other towns to get a job either. I've basically spent the last year isolated at home being a bum. But I'll tell you, it was a great year of soul searching for me personally. After having taken the last year off, I've finally decided that I would like to go to college, so I plan to take the SAT in a few months and hopefully enroll in some classes in the Spring. I'm ready to stop being such a hermit and start getting out there! Good luck on figuring out what you'd like to do!
hearts that kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

*hugs* I know how you feel. I've been there myself.

When I was in HS, I applied to one college and was rejected. I decided to move to another state with an aunt because I didn't want to be a bum and let my parents do everything for me. I also didn't want to reach my 20s without ever having a job. It was terrifying to say the least. I called my psychologist crying because I felt I couldn't go through with the job interview, plus I was very homesick. Still, I was hired and I didn't die from anxiety. Turns out that's impossible.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to go to college right away. If you want to, you can still take the SATs in September and begin classes in January if you start your applications now (send the SAT scores later). In the meantime, push yourself to get a job. Search online or ask around, and trust me a company will take a chance on you. Just remember to not let fear take over you... Good luck!
AllToAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have been out of school for 2 years now. I entered college not too long ago.

There really is no rush for school or whatever. dont worry.

you can decide to grow up anytime between the age of 18 and 28 imo.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
you can decide to grow up anytime between the age of 18 and 28 imo.
Don't say that! I'm 29 and don't want to have to grow up. Have fun while you can because when you get my age you can't
Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just graduated as well and I understand completely how you feel. I'm applying to university (the process is just starting around here; there are no "colleges", only universities), but... I really have no idea what I want to do with my life or if I'm taking the right decision. And I'm terrified of that, because I had to explain to my disappointed parents how certain I'm that I don't want to study law (which has been the 'plan' for almost eight years now), without really knowing what I want to study. My constant fear of failure doesn't help at all.

That said, from my observations, only a small percentage of graduates are 100% sure what they want (if there are any). I think it's normal to be scared, because high school does not prepare us to be responsible adults and that's why we're supposed to be from now on. So really, there are a lot of people in the same situation and there have been even more before them, and they are all dealing with it/have dealt with it, so we will manage it somehow too.

I don't think you should take "desperate" decisions. Once you've set a course, it'll be harder to change it (be it because of your own fears or family pressure) or even feel the need to, even if it's not what's the best for you. So, I think you should concentrate on finding a job, and mainly on "soul-searching", deciding what you really want to do. Next year, take the SATs and apply to a college.
Of course, if you get used to the life of a person who earns a salary and supports himself, it'd be harder to go back to the life of a student, so you should consider this as well. Your main goal right now is to decide what your goal is... and force yourself not to change it in the future, no matter how "impossible" it seems once you've gotten over the initial happiness that you've found your course.

I can't really give you an advice on what to do - it's something that you should decide. But I just want you to know that we're all in the same situation right now - scared (more like terrified) , unsure, frustrated. That's completely understandable - nothing will ever be certain or simple from now on, no safe risks or choices, for anyone. So, once we've found what we want the only thing we can do is hope that it'll all turn out well (and put all our efforts).

Good luck!

//This helps (at least it helps me me, and I hope you too) by the way - http://harvardmagazine.com/2008/06/t...ce-imagination
Sarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Either get a job and look into school/career or go to community college for a year. Its a great way to knock some of your general requirements out of the way relatively inexpensively, maybe take a few courses in different areas that you may have interest in to see what you might like to do. Just make sure that your college credits will transfer to a university, they usually do.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanic17 View Post
I know part of growing up is finding out what I need to do and be more responsible, but these past two years in senior high I have been slacking off. The only good news is that I passed with decent grades. But on the bad side....

I feel like its too late to apply for anything so that my only option seems to be community college. Unless I want to wait another year and study for the SAT (am I right?). I would like to major in Aerospace Engineering.

As of now I'm being a bum at home. The anxiety of not getting anything done is eating away at me. Don't think that im going to sit around waiting for answers here, im actually doing something about it. But in the meanwhile giving your advice would be greatly appreciated(I mean it). Thank you
You can't just let things pass you by and then talk about how things aren't getting done. Go after that SAT so you can get into college! In the mean time, get a job. Do NOT work at a call center! Go somewhere where you have to deal with people face to face. Your future is what ever you make of if.
AntiAnxiety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanic17 View Post

Out of curiosity, what did you end up doing?

My response might've arrived a little late but if it matters, I'd like to give some advice. Since its January already, you might want to look at your options and what you're thinking of doing (community college, job, etc.)

Community colleges are already reviewing applications as of this moment if you choose to go the educational route and work your way up. Look for colleges that might have majors or opportunities that you might be interested. You said you were interested in Aerospace Engineering, correct? There is a school in Florida, Embrey Riddle Aeronautical University, that I've heard good things about. BTW, College Prowler is a good website for finding general information about post-secondary institutions you might want to think about after community college, if you choose this path.

As for the SAT, study for it as much as you can. I didn't get a stellar score but it was above average and I regret not studying because it might hinder me in a potential acceptance from the more selective schools I'm applying to.

Best of luck and I hope everything goes well for you, regardless of what you choose to do.