X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I failed my driving test today

This is the second time. I always cry when I fail because I know the instructors were failing me on purpose because they don't want young adults to have their license. I have a *****ing problem here and I need to get my license so I can drive to college. At first my dad told me that everything was okay, then at the dinner table he started to yell at me. It always feels that when mom is home he has the right to yell at me about all the mistakes I made that day. When she's not home he told me that I'm sure to get my license next time. He makes me want to cut myself sometimes. I can't stand his attitude anymore. I just really feel like telling him that we should not be friends anymore and he should just stick to being my dad, that's all.
Shadowsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is the problem your father or that you are having trouble passing the test? I don't see how his reaction should make you feel like cutting. If your dad told you everything was ok something must have happened to get him upset later. I think it may be your belief that they are failing you on purpose. If they pass people who are not a good drivers then those bad drivers could kill themselves or someone else. It's important to know how to drive well. It takes time and patience.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

He also teaches me how to drive, he says I'm really good and helps me correct my mistakes, but at dinner he told me I was a waste of his time.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Driving examiners are really picky. Have you taken a driver's education course in your town? If not, I highly suggest you do. They teach you all the little nitpicky things the examiners are looking for which your dad might be unaware of.

I don't know what to tell you about your dad, though. Mine's the same way around my mother. I just avoid both of them as much as I can when she's home.
ilikebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I took a driving course a couple years ago, and I passed it easily. However, I really don't feel like taking it again. It was kind of depressing and really awkward for me to sit in that classroom for 7 hours on Saturday and Sunday for two weeks straight.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

When you fail they tell you what mistakes you made, right? Work on those problems. Most people take drivers education is school. It may be that your father is not a good driving teacher. Is there anyone else who can give you lessons? I don't think sitting in a classroom is going to help you learn to drive better. You learn by doing.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Eh, my father is a really good driver, since he drives a humungous beer truck for work, it's like he has mood swings and they make me so frusterated. My mom is not a very good driver, but I don't know anyone else who I would feel comfortable in a car with besides my parents.... My mom is the type of person who would yell in the car if I make a mistake. She gets way too nervous and my dad said she can't handle teaching anyone how to drive.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dad has also been driving the truck for at least 25 years now I think.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry to hear your dad is being so rough on you. If it's any consolation, over my life time, I've met many outgoing people who've failed their driving tests several times, my sister included. I think she failed hers 3 times. It is a very nerve racking experience for everyone. I was fortunate enough to pass mine the first time, having been taught by a boyfriend. Of course, I had the added advantage of knowing what the driving course was going to be, because he had taken his test at the same DMV, so I practiced beforehand! But, I guarantee, I would have failed it had I been required to parallel park. Still can't do it to this day, and I've been driving for 15 years now!

So, keep trying. Work on what you got wrong. If you feel the teachers have something against you personally (which I doubt), then take your test at a different DMV. Though you'd probably be better off at the same one, being more familiar with their test. Chin up... and ignore your father. Perhaps you should talk to your mom and tell her how you feel. Perhaps have her talk to him. Best of luck!
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

My friend took her driver's test 6 times before she passed. Also, my brother has taken his even more and he still doesn't have his license. I think its normal for most people to take multiple times. Maybe ask your dad to take you out for practicing.

The first time I took my test I failed. The next time I practiced more. Also, I dressed up for my driver's test and treated it like a job interview -- business casual. Tried to be very polite and observant. I think that helped.
Squizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

My dad does teach me. He takes me out at least a half hour every night. I know I'm just wasting his time. I don't know what I'd do if I don't get my license in time for college next year. Of course I'm not one of the lucky ones who get their license right away since I always get the bad luck and I'm *****ing sick of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't think I can handle being yelled at by him anymore. I just want to do something right for once.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

You are better off having a professional teach you to drive. Your father seems to be getting frustrated. that's not good form for a teacher.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Most people fail the first few times.

Dont add it to a list of anything.

People fail driving tests, its just normal.

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo
Dub16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Are you able to book a practise test with your old driving school? If you're in Canada, I know you can do this with Young Drivers.
ilikebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes maybe you can ask him for professional lessons. Come to think of it, my parents got me a driving instructor before my test now that I think about it. I know it may be difficult if he is constantly treating you badly.
Squizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

My mom thinks that dad is immature, but she just got mad at me when I told her that what he said bothered me.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

I know how you feel, I failed 3 times before I got my licence. It seems there are rules to pass a driving test and then rules for real world driving and there are a hell of a lot of inconsistencies inbetween.

Chin up and keep trying, you will get it.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

How did you fail ?

I still have to go for my secondary testing to receive my full licence I've been putting it off for years I hate tests I'm a good driver just frightened to death of being tested.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Unhappy September 28 2012

I failed my road test today the tester said I was tooooooooo nervous. Also I looked down to check my speed and she yelled at me telling me when i see the tail light light up I need to press on the brake but I couldn't see the light light up because I was checking my speed. So no matter what she would have yelled at me for something. I felt so violated.
Lprules is offline   Reply With Quote